Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Another first day of open carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Today was my first day of open carry as I had a bunch of errands to run I figured it was as good a day as any. I went to Smiths here in Kaysville and nothing, gassed up in bountiful and nothing again, then I stopped by Barns and Noble in Bountiful and not a single side glance or comment about my gun. I was in my work clothes (slacks and a nice polo) so I wonder if everyone just assumed I was a cop or what. To finish off the day I came back to Layton to go to Sams Club and again nothing. Completely uneventful. Glad it was as I had been reading all day to gear up for it. Now I know I'm ready if anything happens but then again it was nice to have a protected uneventful day. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

  2. #2
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Congrats, you'll find most days are uneventful.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kaysville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    75

    Post imported post

    Uneventful is good. The more comfortable you look, the less suspicious others are. Keep it up. Good to know there are others OC'ing up North. I went to Bowmans the other day and saw a neighborhood kid. He did a double take at my gun and said to his friend "holy crap, did you see that". I just kept walking like I didn't hear him. He's a 15 yr old troublemaker that now knows I carry a gun.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    Well done

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    As soon as I walked around a bit with my XDM 40 and the holster that came with it. I knew I had chosen the right gun. I'm not a big guy by any means 5'11'' 200 LBS and it just felt good at the 3 o'clock position

  6. #6
    Regular Member LovesHisXD45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    580

    Post imported post

    sirged wrote:
    Today was my first day of open carry as I had a bunch of errands to run I figured it was as good a day as any. I went to Smiths here in Kaysville and nothing, gassed up in bountiful and nothing again, then I stopped by Barns and Noble in Bountiful and not a single side glance or comment about my gun. I was in my work clothes (slacks and a nice polo) so I wonder if everyone just assumed I was a cop or what. To finish off the day I came back to Layton to go to Sams Club and again nothing. Completely uneventful. Glad it was as I had been reading all day to gear up for it. Now I know I'm ready if anything happens but then again it was nice to have a protected uneventful day. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
    Booya!! Congratulations on your first OC experience. Glad to hear everything went smooth. Just keep it up and keep us posted of your experiences here. We would love to read about them.

    Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    202

    Post imported post

    sirged wrote:
    As soon as I walked around a bit with my XDM 40 and the holster that came with it. I knew I had chosen the right gun. I'm not a big guy by any means 5'11'' 200 LBS and it just felt good at the 3 o'clock position
    Congratulations! Welcome to the forum. Good to hear everything went smoothly and also glad to see another fellow XD'er! I too carry a XD .40, mine is typically at the 9 o'clock position as I'm a lefty/southpaw (only with guns though) I'm ambidextrous, I write right handed, kick left footed, eat with left hand, it's weird.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Ya I was a pure righty till I played LaCrosse my coach made us have lefty days to make our off hands stronger. But I still shoot righty but i'm left eye dominant. Kinda crazy all of us but thats okay. Not as crazy as.... okay no politics here

  9. #9
    Regular Member Utah_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kearns, Utah, USA
    Posts
    717

    Post imported post

    Congrats and Welcome to the fourm.


    Zach
    8014487574
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    202

    Post imported post

    sirged wrote:
    the holster that came with it.
    I used the holster that came with mine but than thanks to SGT Jensen/THX and others I've been converted to the Blackhawk Serpa, I highly recommend this for Carry.

    "I've seen the light, changed me' heathen ways, no more backsliding"... I love the serpa, so light weight and I love the retention/security it offers.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, ,
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    sirged wrote:
    ...went to Smiths here in Kaysville and nothing, gassed up in bountiful and nothing again, then I stopped by Barns and Noble in Bountiful...
    I live in Kaysville and OC in Smiths/Bowmans every week shopping for the last year. I work in Bountiful and have OC'd in pretty much every restaurant/store (including regularly in the Barnes&Noble) for the same period of time. Never any problem.

    Maybe someday we'll bump into one another.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Garland, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    I did an open carry today for my first time, without any issues. Was a little nervous at first, but felt very liberating afterward, No one looked at me weird or in fear. Actually had a older lady tell me that I looked good with a gun on my hip, said it reminded her of her late husband. I live in Garland, which is Northern Utah.

  13. #13
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Welcome to OCDO and congrats on your good day of OC.

    What do ya carry?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Garland, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Ah thanks its awesome that I found this site. Right now its my Taurus .38 special revolver. Saving up for an auto, thinking either a S&W 40 or a 9mm. or maybe a 1911 but I would have to save a while to get that.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    Cooldude165 wrote:
    ...Actually had a older lady tell me that I looked good with a gun on my hip, said it reminded her of her late husband...
    That was a cool thing for her to say.

    Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate:celebrate

  16. #16
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Cooldude165 wrote:
    Ah thanks its awesome that I found this site. Right now its my Taurus .38 special revolver. Saving up for an auto, thinking either a S&W 40 or a 9mm.* or maybe a 1911 but I would have to save a while to get that.
    I started out carrying a S&W Model 10 in .38spcl Hated the heavy trigger pull but that's what I had.

    Have two holsters for it, one high ride leather holster with a thumb break. Hated it, it flopped around horribly.

    The other is a Bianchi Duty holster with a thumb break. Stayed put nicely, but rode too low.

    Bought a SA XD9 and a Blackhawk Serpa. Love this combination. Everything stays put.

    Ya know, a 1911 doesn't have to cost too much, look into the rock island armory 1911s, I have heard a lot of good things about them and can be had for 500 and less.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •