• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Homestead Studio Suites Anti-Gun?

gis

imported post

I've been staying at the Homestead Studio Suites in Chantilly for a couple of weeks since coming out to Virginia for work. I paid them for one month in advance (better deal than daily), and just today they called me to sign the contract. The contract reads in part "...unless expressly permitted to do so by law, a Lodger shall not carry or store any firearms or weapons, including without limitation guns, rifles or knives, in the Room."

I did sign, but I immediately discussed this with the young lady working the front desk. I told her that inVirginia the law permits non-prohibited persons to possess handguns, rifles, and shotguns without restriction. I also told her that open carry of a loaded handgun requires no license in VA, andactually showed her my Virginia CHP for concealed carry. She agreed that I am fine under the law and OK to stay here with my guns. I have open carried on the property prior to today and have been observed by at least two other employees who did not say anything anything about me carrying.

The hotel has no signs prohibiting guns on the property. I wouldn't stay here if they did. The contract states that it is governed by the laws of South Carolina and, I assume, isthe samefor all the states where they have properties, including anti-gun ones. This would be a rational explanation for the statement above. While most of my guns are still in Michigan, I brought with me a couple of handguns, an AR, AK, shotgun and a few thousand rounds of ammo. I usuallyhave one handgun andone rifle (unloaded in the trunk) with me, but the rest of the stuff is in a Sentry gun cabinet in the room, which I picked up at Dick's at Fair Oaks when I came out here.

When I checked in, I told the front desk that I do not want anyone in my room and do not want any housekeeping. They reserve the right to inspect the room on a weekly basis, but I said that I want to be there if they want to enter the room. They were fine with it. Not to sound paranoid, but when I moved in, I installed a portable camera that records to a receiver module secured in the gun cabinet and is activated by a motion detector (which also makes a 120 decibel high pitch sound).

Do you feel that I am OK to have my guns on their property based on the above statement? Should I raise this issue with management?

gis

imported post

gis wrote:
"...unless expressly permitted to do so by law, a Lodger shall not carry or store any firearms or weapons, including without limitation guns, rifles or knives, in the Room."
I just noticed that the statement above only talks about the Room. So I guess, it is OK to keep even theillegal guns in the car on their property. :banghead:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm going to be generous here and say they do not want the liability of protecting your evilproperty when they have so little actual control over access to your room. That includes the in-room safe, if they provide one. (Check YouTube for various how-to-crack-in-room-safe videos,)

Take the guns down to the desk and ask them to store them in the motel's safe. You could even put them in a container that does not look like it would have a gun inside. I've used padded gun boxes without the integral handle and gift-wrapped them. That also works as tamper evidence, as I am not when wrapping gifts.:)

$2 + tax if you do not bring wrapping paper & tape with you from home. If you are creative enough you could put the items on your expense account without raising an eyebrow at the home office.

As for your question about raising the issue with management - I say only if it turns out they have no front office safe. Then I would tell them you will no be staying with their chain again and will be recommending to your employer that others not stay there. No need to mention what you want to store in their safe - it could be the cure for the common clod for all the difference it matters.

stay safe.

skidmark

gis

imported post

Thanks for the suggestion, skidmark, but my Mossberg shotgun (even if it fits in their safe) isn't going to be usefulto me as home protection if it's not in my immediate possession in my room at night. My AK is in the trunk of my car 24x7, and my Glock 22 and Kahr PM9 are carried by me every day. The only gun I brought that has no immediate use isthe AR, but I nerver travel woithout one. :) Furthermore, all of my guns are insured individually on a personal property policy. While I don't really care about the value aspect of my property, I did get a gun cabinet and set up a motion detector/camera, which is about all I can do in this type of setting.

My main concern is being legal, which I believe I am, because of the statement in the contract "...unless expressly permitted to do so by law...".

RedKnightt

imported post

The paranoid person in me would like to point out that you've posted where you are staying, your weekday schedule, your daytime parking arrangements, an easily identified physical description (you OC) and the fact that you leave at least one unattended rifle in your car on a public internet forum. :)

gis

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
The paranoid person in me would like to point out that you've posted where you are staying, your weekday schedule, your daytime parking arrangements, an easily identified physical description (you OC) and the fact that you leave at least one unattended rifle in your car on a public internet forum. :)
Well, let's see. As I get older, I findwasting my energy on paranoia less and less compelling. ;) That being said, my plain rental sedan changes every week, I know how to detect and avoid a tail, I take different routes to work, and I don't always OC. Any firearms left in my room are secured inside a steel gun cabinet which has been made immobile and would take quite a bit of time to open,all while the bad guy's hearing is being damaged by 120 decibels and his actions are being recorded on film for law enforcement.My car also has video and a few other surprises too. Watching it on my Blackberry right now. There has got to be an easier way to get a $300 shotgun or a $500 AK.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

gis wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
Well, let's see. As I get older, I findwasting my energy on paranoia less and less compelling. ;) That being said, my plain rental sedan changes every week, I know how to detect and avoid a tail, I take different routes to work, and I don't always OC. Any firearms left in my room are secured inside a steel gun cabinet which has been made immobile and would take quite a bit of time to open,all while the bad guy's hearing is being damaged by 120 decibels and his actions are being recorded on film for law enforcement.My car also has video and a few other surprises too. Watching it on my Blackberry right now. There has got to be an easier way to get a $300 shotgun or a $500 AK.
D--n wish I could aford all those toys!:uhoh:

Chaingun81

imported post

gis wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:

You seem like a very prepared guy, I respect this a lot.

I was also thinking into getting some video/auxilary alarm for my car/home but not being very familiar with such equipment, quickly got lost in options online.

Can you be so kind and PM me with couple of advices of rather simple and cheap but qualityvideo surveliianceand audio alarm systems that I can use?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gis wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, skidmark, but
Did not realize you were travelling with so many companions.

My suggestion was based on putting your toys in their safe during the day and collecting them at night so you could have access to them. Lather, rinse, repeat daily.

BTW, if anything happens to your stuff that is being left in the car, I have a solid medical alibi to prove I was not there. Now, as for whom I shared some info with, I'm going out to create that alibi right now.:D

stay safe.

skidmark

gis

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
gis wrote:

Where do you get a rental sedan on a weekly basis that contains a video recorder and "other surprises"? I'm also surprised the motel (Homestead Studio Suites) wouldn't complain about you installing a steel gun cabinet. I've gotta say, as a forty-four-year-old retired police officer who travels with so well armed and with several thousand rounds of ammunition, you must be an interesting character to have access to all those kinds of toys.

BTW, I think I saw you around the pond the other night too. Is this you?
Nice picture of Desmond Wilkinson Llewelyn. I have to say that I am a little younger,also a retired police officer, and do corparate work now. I rent the car, and it takes me about 15 minutes to set up the electronics in it. Between the advances in miniaturization and the internet, you can monitor your stuff pretty much from anywhere in the world. I like being prepared, just because professionally I have seen a lot of bad stuff in my life, and and it makes me feel better to have the feeling that I have some control over the outcome. :) I like to stay 100% legal in everything I do. Otherwise I am just a guy who feels that if you can read (and follow instructuions), you can pretty much do anything you set your mind to. I don't know about the pond, but you will definitely start seeing me at different VCDL events.:lol:

RedKnightt

imported post

gis wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
I was just trying to be helpful. I'll not bother next time.

gis

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
gis wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
I was just trying to be helpful. I'll not bother next time.
I didn't mean to piss you off, just trying to be funny. I do appreciate the observation you made.

gis

imported post

:exclaim:I wanted to provide an update, a very positive one. I received a call this morning from John Fiore who is a RegionalDirector for Extended Stay Hotels and is responsible for the Homestead Studio Suites in Chantilly VA. Apparently this discussion thread content has made it tohis corporate office, and I suspect not in the nicest form.

John, however, called me to assure me that I am in full compliance with the hotel policies and rules. He told me that he is fully aware that both open carry and licensed concealed carry are legal in Virginia, and that there is nothing that he read in my statementsthat was of concern to him. He also indicated that he respects my request not to have any of the hotel staff enter the room when I am not there.

I, in turn,told him that my reason for posting in this forum is that, while I am well-educated on Virginia laws, I wanted to get a second opinion to be doubly sure that I am 100% legal in what I am doing. I also told him that I have both Virginia and Michigan concealed carry permits, and that all the firearms left in the room unattended are secured in a gun cabinet and unloaded. He said that he was fine with everything and even asked whether any of the hotel staff made negative statements to me on this subject. I assured them that theyhave not.

Sounds to me that Extended Stay Hotels is educated on the gun laws and respectful of the Second Amendment rights of it's guests. I will be happy to give themmy future business and encourage you to do the same.:exclaim: