• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Second 2009 Wisconsin Hwy 67 Adopt A Highway Cleanup and Picnic - Sat.Aug 22nd at 10am

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Hi everybody!

We're getting geared up for our second roadside pickup/picnic of the year on August 22nd at 10:00am. So far the following people have said for sure that they will participate in the project:
  1. Sajuuk
  2. Sayadina
  3. *Sajuuk & Sayadina's 11-year old (11 is the youngest allowed by DOT)
  4. Johnny Stiletto
  5. ROOK_WI
  6. Geoff
  7. GlocksRfun
  8. GlocksRfun's girl friend
  9. gollbladder13-------------Organizing Potluck
  10. *gollbladder13's fiance
  11. iceman71
  12. hunter7jl
  13. AaronS
  14. nevinsb
  15. davegran
  16. *davegran's wife
  17. *pvtschultz
  18. *Crushered
  19. *Trilad
  20. Parabellum
*Possible participants

For you new people, our
section of roadway is just north of Eagle, WI on Hyw 67 and runs on both sides of the road from cty C Northward to the first intersection with cty D. We're going to meet at 10:00am on cty D just north of our section. The following map should make it all more clear. Johnny Stiletto will have to check and see if he has enough reflective vests for the new people.

[align=center]
2ufvlmw.jpg

[/align][align=left]After we meet and get organized into teams, then we'll drive out and park along the road at our respective starting points, gun up, and get to work. We'll work toward the south first on the East side of the road and then north on the West side; that way our sidearms will always be visible to the passing traffic. When you are done with your section on the East side of the road, cross over and work back north to complete the other side. When you're done, you can help any other teams that haven't finished yet.

After the highway pickup is completed, we'll have a picnic in Cory Park in Dousman. To get to the park, go North on Hwy 67 from our section of road to Dousman, turn West on Hwy Z, which is also Ottawa Ave. Go to the stop sign and turn right (North) on Main St. You'll see the park in just a few hundred feet.

[/align][align=center]Dousman Landmarks
rt22rd.jpg

[/align]
Most of the park is outside the 1000' school zone, so you may carry at your own discretion. West of Main St starts the 1000' Catholic school zone and just past the tennis court on the East side of the park is the beginning of the 1000' public school zone.

[align=center]School Zones in Red
2qj93z8.jpg

[/align] [align=center]
[/align][align=left]We are doing a pot luck afterward which gollbladder13 is organizing. Here is what he has so far:[/align][align=left]"If you can bring a grill and everything that goes with it, please let me know.

-gollbladder13* - brats, noodle salad
-nevinsb - nacho cheese doritos
-hunter7jl*
-Sajuuk and Sayadina - fritos and chili

*bringing a grill (please also bring charcoal, etc with it!)"[/align][align=left]We also need a person or persons with connections to TV/Radio/Newspapers to publicize our event. My efforts were a dismal failure last time so somebody else can try.
[/align]
That's about it for now. As the date gets closer, we'll flesh out the details. Let us know if you want to be added to the list of Second Amendment Volunteers/Educators/Picnickers.

Thanks,
Dave

Passive101

imported post

I may be interested.

How low do the reflective vests go? I have a high ride holster.

AaronS

imported post

I saw a few high ride rigs at the last pickup. No problem at all. We just pulled the vest up and behind our guns. Vest is very thin mesh.

A bunch of FRS radios might be a nice idea.

gollbladder13

imported post

I'm giving this its own post so I can edit it as we go...

Please, we need more people to bring food. Maybe burgers & buns, one more side, and desserts?

[align=left]"If you can bring a grill and everything that goes with it, please let me know.

-gollbladder13* - brats, noodle salad
-nevinsb - nacho cheese doritos
-hunter7jl*
-Sajuuk and Sayadina - fritos and chili

-Johnny S
tiletto - ground beef & buns, 12 pack of Coke

[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]
*bringing a grill (please also bring charcoal, etc with it!)"[/align]

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

I just want to remind anyone who took their vests home with them the last time to try to remember to bring them back for this time around. That way, we should have enough vests for about 30 people.

Also...
A few things to consider bringing to the clean-up would be:

Gloves (These are a must! I do still have some cheap-o gloves for anyone who needs them)
Trash Poker (Build your own, they come in handy if you don't like constantly bending over)
Water
Pants (Ticks!)
Suntan lotion
Bug Spray
Folding chair (If you plan to stay for the potluck)
Gun (Obviously :quirky)

Be sure to watch the [font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]Adopt-A-Highway Safety Training Video if you haven't done so already:
http://media1.wi.gov/DOT/Viewer/Viewers/ViewerVideoOnly.aspx?mode=Default&peid=c9049406-56c7-4515-8fbd-a06164d1a862&pid=e186416d-f429-4627-9c54-82d4c48dbe73&playerType=WM7#

Can't wait, see you there!
[/font]
[/font]

Sajuuk

imported post

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top, see if we can get some more folks to come on out and show the litter who's boss!

Also, are all the clean-up participants staying for the little cookout? Just wondering so we know if we should make a big pot of chili or keep it simple. :)

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

hunter7jl wrote:
what is going to be done if it is raining tomorrow for the pick up?
The National Weather Service forecast for Waukesha county is,

Code:
.SATURDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 70. NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO
15 MPH.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE LOWER 50S. NORTHEAST
WINDS UP TO 10 MPH SHIFTING TO THE NORTH AFTER MIDNIGHT.
Sounds pretty good!

Dave

nevinsb

imported post

I went and got a bunch of chips and pretzels, so we should be good there.

GlocksRfun

imported post

Everything went smoothly. Great weather. Some news people showed up. Thanks to Davegran and AaronS for talking to them. Hopefully it'll air, and hopefully coherent like someone said.... I found an exploded tire tread and a key. My g/f seemed to have a good time, I think. I just wish I could have made it to the picnic. Next time! I just realized how crooked our sign is.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Good work folks!

Sorry I was not on the ball more and mentioned your event inthe plast press release along with the radio ads and the picnic tomorrow out in St. Croix County!