• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Second 2009 Wisconsin Hwy 67 Adopt A Highway Cleanup and Picnic - Sat.Aug 22nd at 10am

AaronS

imported post

Once again, good time. I will try to stay for the cook out next time. I will let everyone know if I find out when Fox6 news will air our story.

AaronS

imported post

Found out...

Looks like we are on tonight at ten on Fox 6 in Milwaukee:celebrate. Nice that we made the ten news. Hope it looks okay:shock:...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Quick question - the news video indicated that the Wisconsin authorities only "approved" the pick u because the area to be cleaned was not within 1,000 ft. of a private or public building.

What approval did you all seek and what criteria tdid they impose? Others in WI might want to do this in their neck of the woods too and I don;t understand the 1,000 ft. of a private or public building concern.

Geoff

imported post

Mike wrote:
Quick question - the news video indicated that the Wisconsin authorities only "approved" the pick u because the area to be cleaned was not within 1,000 ft. of a private or public building.

What approval did you all seek and what criteria tdid they impose? Others in WI might want to do this in their neck of the woods too and I don;t understand the 1,000 ft. of a private or public building concern.

I don't think it was worded well.

We weren't within 1,000 ft. of a school, and we weren't in a public building (or car, state park, or establishment with a class b liquor license)

geoff

AaronS

imported post

Yea, just poor wording. We had to find a place that had no schools around. It was harder then I would have thought...

Say how did the cookout go? Did you find out what the name of it is?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Mike wrote:
AaronS wrote:

They got that information during my interview even though that part wasn't aired. I said that we chose the section of road carefully because of the restrictive laws in Wisconsin, which I then listed. Typical inaccurate reporting.

Dave

smithman

imported post

Good short spot on the news. Any media exposure at this point helps our cause with general public awareness.

It seems Fox 6 is covering the gun issues more than the other local media.

I enjoyed hearing that silly lady talk about "I think it's a power thing". Hilarious.

davegran

imported post

smithman wrote:
Good short spot on the news. Any media exposure at this point helps our cause with general public awareness.

It seems Fox 6 is covering the gun issues more than the other local media.

I enjoyed hearing that silly lady talk about "I think it's a power thing". Hilarious.
I wonder how many neighbors they had to interview and what leading questions they had to ask to get that response? We talked to some neighbors during our first pickup who were initially wary but ultimately quite accepting after we had talked a while.

I think it's a matter of overcoming stereotypes and fear with plain talk and truth.

Dave

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

smithman wrote:
yeah - news stories are great in this way - the elderly couple were forced to comment without meeting you - the viewers then compare you all to the comments and think - "hey, does not add up, those were normal folks, the kind we might see at a PTA meeting or at Starbucks."

gollbladder13

imported post

davegran wrote:
I wonder how many neighbors they had to interview and what leading questions they had to ask to get that response? We talked to some neighbors during our first pickup who were initially wary but ultimately quite accepting after we had talked a while.

I think it's a matter of overcoming stereotypes and fear with plain talk and truth.

Dave
I saw them doing that interview. It was the only house I remember seeing on Springfield's and my stretch...

ROOK_WI

imported post

I'd be willing to bet that the lady nor the guy were not aware that Saturday was the SECOND time we have picked up the highway...

davegran

imported post

[align=center]After Action Report

[/align][align=left]The second Opencarry.org Adopt-A-Highway event took place yesterday on Saturday, August 22nd. The event went very smoothly and and without any issues, thanks to the following enthusiastic volunteers who showed up to support and publicize our Second Amendment rights:
[/align]
  1. Sajuuk
  2. Sayadina
  3. Cellie - Sajuuk & Sayadina's 11-year old (11 is the youngest allowed by DOT)
  4. Johnny Stiletto
  5. ROOK_WI
  6. Geoff
  7. GlocksRfun
  8. GlocksRfun's girl friend
  9. gollbladder13-------------Organizing Potluck
  10. gollbladder13's fiance
  11. hunter7jl
  12. AaronS
  13. nevinsb
  14. davegran
  15. Crusher ed
  16. Springfield1911
The weather was cool and breezy; perfect for a walk in the country. AaronS and davegran were interviewed by Fox Channel 6 and their piece, entitled, "Clean and Carry - OpenCarry supporters clean up highway wearing guns - Residents have mixed reactions to the group carrying guns" was aired that evening.

We have one more pickup to schedule before the end of October; start thinking about a date.

I left after the pickup to be with my wife on our anniversary, so I can't report on the picnic afterward. Perhaps somebody who attended it would give us a report.

Thanks,
Dave

SD26

imported post

Geoff wrote
I don't think it was worded well.

We weren't within 1,000 ft. of a school, and we weren't in a public building (or car, state park, or establishment with a class b liquor license)

geoff
Hi, my first post! :celebrate

Saw the piece on Fox 6, and, yeah, it was ok.

I'd enjoy being a part of the next one if I can fit it into my schedule. And nice job for moving forward and accomplishing this task.

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

How does Oct. 10th work for everyone?

I drove by our cleanup site on Sunday and I already saw new garbage on the side of the road.:shock: I think someone wants us back already!

P.S. Welcome SD26! We would be glad to have you join us!