• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone have a pt111??

r6-rider

imported post

so i took disassembled it to clean/oil it, but now im stuck trying to put it back together. for some reason the slide wont cock back all the way because the spring is stopping it. its like the spring is to short for the barrel which doesnt make sense since it worked before. its probly something stupid that im not seeing but any advice would be nice

Hef

imported post

Make sure the black round end of the spring assembly is at the muzzle end, and the flat stainless end is at the breech end. I hold the slide upside down as I put the barrel and spring assembly in the slide, then put the slide on the frame, then flip it over and lock back the slide. I insert the takedown pin and I'm done.

r6-rider

imported post

thats how im trying to put it in. im not understanding how this worked before yet wont work now??

r6-rider

imported post

yea i went through all the steps on that page as well. from what i see and feel, its like the spring just isnt long enough for the slide to go back all the way. and because its one piece that goes into another theres no way to adjust it or anything. i probly sound pretty vague, but im sure its the spring because when i take it out the slide will go back just fine

r6-rider

imported post

architect wrote:
Did you make sure the barrel was all the way forward (out of the slide) before you reinserted the take down pin?
it wont even get far enough to insert the pin. the slide only cocks back half way, it cant reach the slide lock back

architect

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
it wont even get far enough to insert the pin. the slide only cocks back half way, it cant reach the slide lock back
OK, I misunderstood. I assumed you reassembled but then the slide wouldn't cycle fully.

Is it possible it is hanging up on the trigger bar? Make sure your safety is off and the trigger is pulled. This is based on my PT145 Pro which is similar to but not exactly like the PT111. Is yours a Pro model? While we are eliminating the simple stuff -- the magazine is removed, right?

If you take the spring/rod assembly out and place it vertically on a bench (small flat end down), can you grab the bushing and stretch it to (almost) full length by hand? You should be able to confirm whether it is a spring issue.

The guys at http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ might be able to help.

hopnpop

imported post

If the slide will go back all the way without the spring in, I would think that the spring just isn't being seated properly. Found this thread this morning and disassembled and reassembled my PT140Pro a few times, trying to figure out what might be preventing slide movement.

When disassembling mine, after the pin's been removed, I have to pull the trigger to get my slide to release completely. Wondering if you have to also. If not, it may just be a matter of pulling the trigger while sliding the slide back to its rear position. When putting the slide back on, guide it down the frame to the point where it's stopping, keep slight rearward pressure on it as you pull the trigger as far as it will allow.

Also, saw that someone asked if yours is a Pro model. I had a PT140 before the Pro was out, and had a couple similar-sounding reassemby probs with it. I was always able to reassemble but a few times I recall it fussing like your is. The Pro came out, I picked one up, and have been happier with it than its non-Pro predecessor. Just a note - if you like your PT111 and it's not a Pro model, might think of upgrading to the Pro.

Anyhow, I hope the trigger pull works - let (us) know, I'll keep racking my brain as to what the prob might be.I'd surely think it couldn't be thespring length if it's the same spring you took out of it. If you'd take it to a shop I'm sure they'd slap it together in 10 seconds, making us all feel like idiots, but knowing is knowing. Keep (us/me) posted - got me curious.

Gonna go disassemble mine again and play with the spring. You wouldn't have gotten any debris in the spring which would prevent it from fully extending or rectract I assume...

r6-rider

imported post

i found the problem and unfortunately didnt fix it. it was the spring, the second part of the plastic (the big part that the rod goes through) wasnt going through the hole at the end of the slide thats why it was stopping the slide. well with enough frustration that it wouldnt go through i ended up breaking the plastic so now i need to call taurus to get a new spring. o yea it is the pt111 pro btw. actually thinking about selling it now because its so complicated to take apart

hopnpop

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
i found the problem and unfortunately didnt fix it. it was the spring, the second part of the plastic (the big part that the rod goes through) wasnt going through the hole at the end of the slide thats why it was stopping the slide. well with enough frustration that it wouldnt go through i ended up breaking the plastic so now i need to call taurus to get a new spring. o yea it is the pt111 pro btw. actually thinking about selling it now because its so complicated to take apart
Sorry to hear that. Difference of opinion, then - I thought all the Pro guns were nearly identical 'cept for the 145; and I think mine's quick and easy to dis/reassemble. Well, I wish you luck - least you found the problem, misfortune aside. :banghead: