Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Madison Open Carry Arrest. Paging Travis Yates

Centurion

Post imported post

The other thread is in the hot topics section and I wanted to start a parallel thread here where replies will keep it at the top of the thread list.

Hopefully Travis will stop in so we can support him.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/inciden...F.cfm?id=10256

http://www.wkowtv.com/global/story.asp?s=10879014

link to other thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/29719.html

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I talked to him through email. He is aware of the site, but I don't know if he's a regular visitor. He's also looking for a lawyer.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I also contacted Vicki McKenna about the incident, and she told me she would be talking about it on her show today. 3-6PM on 1310AM WIBA, or www.wiba.com if you can't listen over radio!

Post imported post

If there is legal action involved, it would be in his best interest not to post a comment here, or be very careful in what he does post.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Centurion

Post imported post

There are very little fact of the case that aren't known. Having said that, I don't really expect that we need to critique the facts of the case to the nth degree (though again, I don't think there is anything to be said that hasn't already)

But as long as Travis is aware of the support that there is to offer here and keeps us informed of the status of the case so we can be supportive thats good enough.

If there is a court date in september, the sooner people are made aware the sooner they can make plans to attend.

or we could just pull a "brad krause" and wait until the day before the hearing, blast an email around and see who can drop everything on a moments notice to show up....

Post imported post

Hey, it's me, Travis. I talked to a couple lawyers. So far the cheapest guy will litigate it for $3500. I don't have that kind of money. I don't know if I can request money for a defense fund. I can ask the lawyer about it. If I can accept donations, I would appreciate help.

It looks like most of the facts are already known. Looks like a simple, clear case to me. I wasn't taken to jail. It was a municipal violation.

Is there a planned march, picnic, open carry event planned? I can't advocate anything.

Post imported post

Court date is 9-9-2009 at 8:30 am.

Post imported post

WI_Patriot wrote:
    Court date is 9-9-2009 at 8:30 am
    I'll plan on being there.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

WI_Patriot wrote:
    Court date is 9-9-2009 at 8:30 am.
    Make sure you have a good defense lawyer; win your case/get dismissed; then find a lawyer who will work on contingency tofile civil rights lawsuit for damages. PM me if you want recommendation.

Only if these localities get sued on these Fourth Amendment violations will the police leaders change their ways.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Travis, If I was in your position right now, I would not retain a defenseattorney just yet.
    See what happens at the initial appearance, Move for a dismissal at that time, and if the judge orders it to trial then plan on retaining a defense attorney. I do not think this is going to go anywhere. (I am not offering legal advice, just making my thoughts known and speaking from experience in my own times wrongfully charged with crimes)

As Mike had already mentioned, a suit against the Madison PD is defenitely in order, and that should be handled on a contingency basis by an attorney. Mopst common costis 1/3 of total recovery, and 40% if it goes to trial. Many attorneys will negotiate those fees if you push the issue. IMO, this is a slam-dunk case for your rights being violated and wrongful arrest.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    Travis, If I was in your position right now, I would not retain a defenseattorney just yet.
    See what happens at the initial appearance, Move for a dismissal at that time, and if the judge orders it to trial then plan on retaining a defense attorney. I do not think this is going to go anywhere. (I am not offering legal advice, just making my thoughts known and speaking from experience in my own times wrongfully charged with crimes)

As Mike had already mentioned, a suit against the Madison PD is defenitely in order, and that should be handled on a contingency basis by an attorney. Mopst common costis 1/3 of total recovery, and 40% if it goes to trial. Many attorneys will negotiate those fees if you push the issue. IMO, this is a slam-dunk case for your rights being violated and wrongful arrest.
    +1
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    See what happens at the initial appearance, Move for a dismissal at that time, and if the judge orders it to trial then plan on retaining a defense attorney.
    Why take any chances and let the government control the litigation ina criminal law context? Make criminal charge go away now or this will be drug out for years and no way for you to get a civil case going.

Post imported post

Anyone have an address for the court house? Is there a school anywhere around it?

Post imported post

Search for the courthouse address. Remember that you can't carry in a public building. Also try searching for school addresses. The city bus map shows some schools, but not all. I appreciate the support!

Post imported post

WI_Patriot wrote:
    Hey, it's me, Travis. I talked to a couple lawyers. So far the cheapest guy will litigate it for $3500. I don't have that kind of money. I don't know if I can request money for a defense fund. I can ask the lawyer about it. If I can accept donations, I would appreciate help.
    You should be able to find a good criminal attorney willing to do this at a reduced rate just to be able to holdpress conferences and garner the free publicity for his or her firm.

If you can't find a good one to do it at a reduce rate, then go with experience and consider contacting Brad K's.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Post imported post

GlocksRfun wrote:
    Anyone have an address for the court house? Is there a school anywhere around it?
    Madison municipal court is located in the "city/county" building, one block from the state capitol:

City-County Bldg., Room 203
    210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.

There are no schools anywhere nearby that area. Nearest one is at least a mile away.
    A. Gold

Post imported post

Winning this court case would go a heckuva lot further than our radio ads. I'm willing to chip in as long as the situation is handled correctly.

In any case, nice work Travis! We'll show those tyrants who's boss the American way....in court!

Post imported post

eleuthera wrote:
    Winning this court case would go a heckuva lot further than our radio ads. I'm willing to chip in as long as the situation is handled correctly.
    +1

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:
    See what happens at the initial appearance, Move for a dismissal at that time, and if the judge orders it to trial then plan on retaining a defense attorney.
    Why take any chances and let the government control the litigation ina criminal law context? Make criminal charge go away now or this will be drug out for years and no way for you to get a civil case going.
    I feel hiring a defenseattorney before the initial appearance is a foolish waste of money. here is why;
    The only thing that can legally happen at the initial isthe defendantsplea, and him making amotion for dismissal. If the judge grants a dismissal (I am betting on it) there is no need for a defense attorney. So a few thousand dollars is not pissed away. If the motion is denied, then an attorney for defense is warranted

Paying a retainer now is putting the cart before the horse IMO., I do not think this is going anywhere. From what we know of the events that took place, no laws were broken by Travis. the only laws broken were by the arresting officer.

After the case is dismissed or Travis is found "Not Guilty" then it is time to sign the paperwork with the attorney when you are the plaintiff. Research rights violation attorneys now, but wait to sign until your court is done with defense.

Banned

Post imported post

GlocksRfun wrote:
    Google Earth...Google Earth

Banned

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    GlocksRfun wrote:
    Anyone have an address for the court house?Â* Is there a school anywhere around it?
    Google Earth...Google Earth
    Memory hog, crash prone!

LOL

Google Maps as a stable substitute?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Travis, email the NRA! They may do it for free. No joke, many people bash the NRA but I do believe they could really help you out on this one.

Ben

Post imported post

How possible is it going to be to get some people to walk around Armed on 9-9-09 in the morning? I'm not familiar with the layout of the place. Is there a sidewalk that isn't gov. property around close to the entrence of the court house?I supposeif what you were doing is supposedly disorderly conduct, protesting with signs while armed is DC for sure.....

Post imported post

GlocksRfun wrote:
    How possible is it going to be to get some people to walk around Armed on 9-9-09 in the morning? I'm not familiar with the layout of the place. Is there a sidewalk that isn't gov. property around close to the entrence of the court house?I supposeif what you were doing is supposedly disorderly conduct, protesting with signs while armed is DC for sure.....
    What would prohibit being armed on a sidewalk? Doesn't matter who owns it. You can't enter the building itself while armed, but that's it.
    A. Gold

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Yeah I'm with shotgun on this one, what is government property? I never heard of such a thing... lol I think you mean public property. Why would anyone with a gun have to stay off of public property? I'm pretty sure the pre-emption makes it so we can carry on any public property besides what is designated under state statutes. i.e inside Gov buildings, state parks.

Ben

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast