• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So what do you all think of the Billings Wal-Mart incident?

MountainGator

imported post

From the Billings Gazette...

Craig Schmidt allegedly shot his Wal-Mart co-worker, Daniel Lira, in the head in a fight about the length of Lira's work break, police said today.

The bullet grazed Lira's head on the side from front to back, said Police Sgt. Kevin Iffland. He was admitted to St. Vincent Healthcare and later was released.

Schmidt allegedly pulled out the .25-caliber semi-automatic Beretta handgun after he was punched twice by Lira. Police said the shot was fired at a range of 10 to 15 feet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A man who shot a Wal-Mart co-worker during an argument at the store's loading dock Monday night has been released pending further investigation, according to the Billings Police Department.

Billings Police Sgt. Jay Berry said that Craig Schmidt shot Daniel Lira after Lira allegedly hit him in the face. Schmidt, 49, fell backwards, and then used a small handgun to shoot Lira in the head, police said.

Lira, 32, was taken to St. Vincent Healthcare and has been released.

Yellowstone County Attorney Dennis Paxinos advised police that Schmidt should be released under a law passed by the Montana Legislature last session. The legislation, known as House Bill 228, may require the state to prove that the use of force is unjustified when a shooter makes a self-defense claim.

Here's a link to the On-line article http://www.billingsgazette.com/news/local/article_291d01a4-8644-11de-9e73-001cc4c002e0.html

I think that it will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

MountainGator

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
I just gotta know: If someone is shot INSIDE WW, Why are the police taping off the parking lot?:question:
I believe the incident happened on the back loading dock. There is Truck/car access back there, & I believe that is where they "Taped Off". In the Initial report, it was reported that BPD initially evacuated the building b/c they were not sure (from the 911 call) that it wasn't an active shooter INSIDE WW.... (which is why when we do go to WW to buy grocries & Ammo [when they had it] I always carry.)

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

So far the law worked the way the law is suppose to, it appears. We do know that Craig Schmidt was released. We do not if he was given this handgun back or if the BPD still has it.Hopefully, he has a second handgun for personal protection.

The County Attorney Paxino advised the BPD correctly, release Craig Schmidt.

Note: The County Attorney Paxino, then Sheriff Maxwell, Chief of Police BPD, and the Billings Mayor, opposed HB 228 and all are considered Anti 2A.

This situation bears watching.

Based on what we know from the news as of now, no charges should be brought against Craig Schmidt, self defense - period.

What do you think Matt Dillion Gunsmoke or Big Jake or U.S Marshall Cahill or Rosster Coburn or John Wayne would do ?

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

You do know about the Tueller Drill ? if not you should - here you go:

http://defendyourself101.ca/articles/hidden-lesson-tueller-drill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=Lc2fyEa_RkA

Psychopath with a knife attacked cops

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/5-08eJournal.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

http://www.answers.com/topic/tueller-drill

http://johnjacobh.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/real-gunfights-why-hunting-is-important-tueller-drill/

Awareness is 360 degrees both horizontal and vertical, keep eyes on the horizon and the sky. Know about everything going in your immediate area at least 100 foot radius

LeMat

imported post

I can't help but think that there's an escalation of force issue here.

Shooting someone for punching you? Hope this guy is able to prove that he was in fear of his life (yeah, I know the burden's on the prosecution to prove he wasn't, but do you seriously think it's going to work that way?).

The prosecution is going to have a field day with this one. :(

KBCraig

imported post

LeMat wrote:
I can't help but think that there's an escalation of force issue here.

Shooting someone for punching you? Hope this guy is able to prove that he was in fear of his life (yeah, I know the burden's on the prosecution to prove he wasn't, but do you seriously think it's going to work that way?).

The prosecution is going to have a field day with this one. :(

Blows to the head can certainly be deadly, and constitute deadly force in many states.

There is a 17 year age discrepency, and the older man had been punched twice and knocked to the ground. He had every reason to assume the attack would continue, and to defend himself, including using deadly force.

LeMat

imported post

Don't get me wrong, I can't help but play devil's advocate. I've lost so much faith in our legal system (ain't no "justice" about it). I can't help but think of all the ways one can get screwed when having to defend one's self. :(

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

and the weight difference 150 # the shooter and 300# the punching attacker

and thedock workerthe shooter and the dock supervisor the punching attacker

Roger that on the age factor too.

How is the shooter suppose to know whether or not the punching attacker did not have a knife or gun or whatever ?

This is cut and dry - self defense.

the Anti-2A County Attorney and Billings PD do not like it (just read the words they say in the newspapers and on TV), good thing HB 228 is now the law.

Did you read the information on the Tueller Drill ?

What do you think Matt Dillion Gunsmoke or Big Jake or U.S Marshall Cahill or Rosster Coburn or John Wayne would do ?

Both may get laid off from WALMART, definitely the shooter needs to take the punching supervisor to civil court and sue for lost of wages and other money losses such as lawyer, etc

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Both may get laid off from WALMART, definitely the shooter needs to take the punching supervisor to civil court and sue for lost of wages and other money losses such as lawyer, etc
The shooter will get fired for sure. Otherwise WalMart will not be able to enforce the employee prohibition on firearms.

MountainGator

imported post

lockman wrote:
The shooter will get fired for sure. Otherwise WalMart will not be able to enforce the employee prohibition on firearms.

Does WalMart have an employeeprohibition on Firearms??????????????????? Do you know that for certain?? WalMart sure doesn't try to stop their customers from carrying.

In a follow-up article to what I posted, a WalMart spoksman would not comment "on the employee policy" but the article did state that the Shooter DID have a valid CWP.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

JBinMontana wrote:
Yep, they do and he will get the ax for carrying while working, but probably walk on criminal charges.
Roger that ! then he can turn around and sue WAL-MART and the fellar who was beating him up in civil court.

JBinMontana

imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
JBinMontana wrote:
Yep, they do and he will get the ax for carrying while working, but probably walk on criminal charges.
Roger that ! then he can turn around and sue WAL-MART and the fellar who was beating him up in civil court.

I had the pleasure of doing just that once.... they havea very powerful legal team, and even though I was in the right, they beat me financially.

Just an FYI on how big WalMart is......

[align=center]This should boggle your mind ![/align]
[align=center]HOW BIG IS WALMART? [/align]
1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.
2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St.Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English
6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.
7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.
8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).
9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.
11 This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store.
(Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)
12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart
Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street. Better yet .. . . let them run the damn Government!!

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

WE NEVER SHOP AT WAL-MART - ONLY WALKED INTO ONE ONCE YEARS AGO & DID NOT BUY ANYTHING

part of the NEW WORLD ORDER

Hillary Clinton was on the Board of Directors probably still is covertly

96% of stuff from COMMIE CHINA

3 1/2 % of stuff from other foreign countries - repressive slave labor more or less

1/2% of stuffmade in the USA

have driven many companies and Mom/Pop businesses out of business

part of the evil taking over this country

better to buy made in the USA