• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Older 11 round magazines?

Peacemaker

imported post

I have an older pistol that was manufactured in the early 90s. It came with a number of standard capacity (for this gun) 11 round magazines. Do I have to buy 10 round magazines before visiting CA or are some older magazines grandfathered?

I understand the CA's purchase laws are crazy and that there is no car carry, but that ULOC is legal.

mjones

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
I have an older pistol that was manufactured in the early 90s. It came with a number of standard capacity (for this gun) 11 round magazines. Do I have to buy 10 round magazines before visiting CA or are some older magazines grandfathered?

I understand the CA's purchase laws are crazy and that there is no car carry, but that ULOC is legal.

The magazines must have been owned by you and within the borders of CA prior to Jan 1, 2000.

If you meet those criteria they you can legally re-'import' those 'large-capacity magazines' into CA.

---------------------------

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who
lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to
January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning
to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully
possessed in the state.

Peacemaker

imported post

Thanks. Looks like I would have to purchase new magazines before such a visit. Clearly I have a lot of reading to do to get caught up on the relevant statutes.

Peacemaker

imported post

One more question. How does one determine if a pistol is on the "dangerous" list? The one I have does not appear to be currently listed, but that list seems to suggest that it is primary concerned with handguns that are being current sold instead of simply being possessed.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

The "not unsafe" list doesn't apply to handguns brought into the state, only guns being purchased in the state.

Also, you stated earlier that car carry isn't allowed. That isn't true. You can open carry in a car as long as the gun remains openly visible. Keep it in your holster on your person and you're good to go. You can also keep it on the dashboard, or on the passenger seat, but then you run the risk of it falling down to the floor and becoming not visible.

I also wanted to clarify that when you said ULOC you meant unloaded open carry. You must carry unloaded when in an incorporated area (most cities) but you can carry loaded when in unincorporated areas.

You can't bring any handguns within 1000' of a school in either case though. They must be in a fully enclosed, locked container.

wewd

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:

Car carry is legal as long as the weapon is unloaded and on a belt holster. The state's prohibition on car carry only has to do with loaded or concealed weapons. A pistol may only be concealed in a car inside a locked hard case or the locked trunk. The law specifically says that a pistol worn openly on a belt holster is not concealed. You can't be charged with carrying a gun in a car, only carrying a concealed (PC § 12025) or loaded (PC § 12031) weapon. Long guns are fine to conceal anywhere, in your car or on your person. Just don't load cartridges into any of the guns.

Decoligny

imported post

wewd wrote:
Peacemaker wrote:

Car carry is legal as long as the weapon is unloaded and on a belt holster. The state's prohibition on car carry only has to do with loaded or concealed weapons. A pistol may only be concealed in a car inside a locked hard case or the locked trunk. The law specifically says that a pistol worn openly on a belt holster is not concealed. You can't be charged with carrying a gun in a car, only carrying a concealed (PC § 12025) or loaded (PC § 12031) weapon. Long guns are fine to conceal anywhere, in your car or on your person. Just don't load cartridges into any of the guns.
You left out one MAJOR consideration. CA Penal Code 626.9 does not allow for the carry of a handgun within 1,000 feet of K-12 school property. This includes in a car.

Exceptions to this rule are if it is unloaded, and is fully enclosed in a secure locked container, or unloaded and locked in the trunk.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
The "not unsafe" list doesn't apply to handguns brought into the state, only guns being sold by FFLs in the state... (does not affect private party imports or sales.)

...I also wanted to clarify that when you said ULOC you meant unloaded open carry. You must carry unloaded when in an incorporated area (most cities) but you can carry loaded when in unincorporated areas, except in areas where the locality (county or unicorporated city) prohibits the discharge of firearms.
Fixed and fixed.

Peacemaker: I suggest you check out the abundance of resources available at www.californiaopencarry.org

Bull Frog

imported post

I have posed this query previously: My legally purchased (< 2000) Browning Hi-Power came with several clips that are now illegal to purchase, import ... blah, blah, blah ....(or are they?). Can I carry them on my person with the weapon unloaded in California (read open carry with the clips somewhere on myperson), or any other state while open carrying? But, they were perfectly legal when I purchased them through a federally licensed firearms dealerfrom a female security guard sometime in the late nineties. I think she got a Glock, maybe even an H&K .....

The last respondent called this a "gray area" in California law. What about you free men and women in other states?, (please remember I live in California.)

All I need is a voice recorder to venture out. I got a Bianchi 100inside the belt holster that holds a 1911 or Hi-Power; I position it on my front right hand quarter (I go about 365 pounds) to better keep the weapon under my control, and also rigged a rawhide thong around the belt, that comes up to and around the hammer. A square knot does the trick .... I know, this may be a little slow in a self defense situation. :celebrateBut, if there is a serious threat of weapon loss, I can always stick him or itwith my Bowie knife. :X

Someone also mentioned not going out alone. To the guys at the Sunnyvale Starbucks: I'll buy; send me a PM - I am serious about being part of OC movement. I may even buy .... :)

Donuts, even ....

As to the .45 versus a 9mm issue, even though the Colt has fewer shots, I'll take it anytimeover a nine. :p

Regards, Bull Frog

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bull Frog wrote:
I have posed this query previously: My legally purchased (< 2000) Browning Hi-Power came with several clips that are now illegal to purchase, import ... blah, blah, blah .... (or are they?). Can I carry them on my person with the weapon unloaded in California (read open carry with the clips somewhere on myperson), or any other state while open carrying?
Go ahead and carry them if you have them. There aren't any laws regarding the possession of high cap magazines. There are laws prohibiting selling, importing, and manufacturing them though.

All I need is a voice recorder to venture out. I got a Bianchi 100 inside the belt holster that holds a 1911 or Hi-Power
The law only specifically exempts sidearms in a belt holster. I'm assuming by "inside the belt" you're talking about "inside the waistband". I wouldn't recommend this approach seeing as how a large portion of the holster is hidden by your pants. I don't know of anybody in California that has tried using an IWB holster, I know I wouldn't want to be the first one to try.

Donuts, even ....
Mmmmm...donuts.

mjones

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
The law only specifically exempts sidearms in a belt holster. I'm assuming by "inside the belt" you're talking about "inside the waistband". I wouldn't recommend this approach seeing as how a large portion of the holster is hidden by your pants. I don't know of anybody in California that has tried using an IWB holster, I know I wouldn't want to be the first one to try.
I do this on EXTREMELY rare occasions, but I wouldn't recommend it.