• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checking a firearm & ammo on a plane

1*

imported post

Just thought I would share my story of traveling on different airlines haveing a firearm and ammo.

Started on Alaska Airlines. I put my gun in a hard sided locked case and my ammo in the same bag they had me sign small form that says the gun is emply and in a locked hard case. They had me put the form in the bag and that was it.

When I checked my luggage in Texas on American Airlines it was pretty much the same routine. I could not check it at the curb even though they had the TSA folks and x-ray machines and the ticket folks there. Not a realproblem.

Leaving New Orleans on American was very different when I told them I had a gun in my locked case he had me open the case drop the empty mag and show him that it was empty. Then put the form inside the locked case. Which made no sense how is TSA going to be able to tell that the gun has been properly declared. Amazing.

Other than that, my trip had no problems it did not take much more of my time to get my gun and a few boxes of ammo checked. They did not even want to check to see if the ammo was in proper packageing. So if your gonna travel to a gun friendly state take your firearm with you.

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Ok, update....

I'm now waiting at the Oakland airport to catch my 6pm flight. I have been here since 9am. Anyways, when I checked in my luggage/guns today it was kind of different from when I check in my luggage/guns into PHX airport.

I let them know I had firearms in my bags. By the end of the gun checking, there were about 9 TSA officers checking ALL of my luggage (explosive residue testing, sifting through my luggage and private belongings, etc) and an actual sheriff from the county was called and ID'd me, ran priors against my license, e-check/serial# on both my guns, wrote down all my license information and flight number in his little notepad, etc. Took a good chunk of time...

I was ok with my time being wasted though since I was going to be there till 6pm anyways (and i'm still here). Anyways, i'm flying to SLC at 6pm and then flying to NY at 12am... wish me luck in NY....

PavePusher

imported post

rolexbenz190e wrote:
Ok, update....

I'm now waiting at the Oakland airport to catch my 6pm flight. I have been here since 9am. Anyways, when I checked in my luggage/guns today it was kind of different from when I check in my luggage/guns into PHX airport.

I let them know I had firearms in my bags. By the end of the gun checking, there were about 9 TSA officers checking ALL of my luggage (explosive residue testing, sifting through my luggage and private belongings, etc) and an actual sheriff from the county was called and ID'd me, ran priors against my license, e-check/serial# on both my guns, wrote down all my license information and flight number in his little notepad, etc. Took a good chunk of time...

I was ok with my time being wasted though since I was going to be there till 6pm anyways (and i'm still here). Anyways, i'm flying to SLC at 6pm and then flying to NY at 12am... wish me luck in NY....

Wow. Sounds like a 4th Amendment violation to me. Did you get any recordings?

Hopefully you are just changing flights in NY and not claiming/rechecking bags? (assuming NYC - JFK or Newark?)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Have you had any experience in CO, Denver International in particular?

Friend of mine and wife flew out there with sidearms, no problem. Coming back they were delayed 45 minutes checking their guns, hand searched luggage, explosive scans, etc., the upshot being that they didn't get to the gate until 10 minutes before their flight and the flight had already closed their doors on an overbooked flight. Their guns traveled home without them, they spent another 36 hours in Denver before they could get 2 seats home.