• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped from entering a PAT bus in Pittsburgh

Prophet

imported post

Im in the southside of Pittsburgh on carson street after visiting the farmers market and I decide to hop on a bus heading downtown. Im in a pair of khaki shorts, a short sleeved shirt and my 1911 on my hip. The bus pulls up, opens the door, i take one step inside and the driver abruptly and rudely says:

"No, get off."

I respond: "why?"
him: "you can't have a gun on a pat bus"
me: "you are a government run bus service, you can't not allow me on for that"
him: "its pat rules, now get off"
me: "PAT can't have that rule but regardless, i'll contact them, what's your name" (so i can tell the PAT people who kicked me off the bus and stated this "policy")
him: "get off or i'll call the police"
me: "ok, call em"

Now, maybe the cops would know the law, maybe they wouldn't, but i wasnt going to just kow tow to this bully bus driver with his cop threats. So he hops on his lil phone to call and I get comfortable ready to wait. About 5 minutes pass by and he's still on the phone, he told whoever that I refused to get off after he kicked me off for having a gun. I dont know what they were telling him but after 5 minutes it seems he is losing his certainty. He say's he doesnt have a problem with carrying, he carries, etc etc but PAT bus has its rules. I'm getting tired myself of waiting (if the cops were ever called) and tell him if i can get his name so i can reference him when i call PAT i'll be happy to leave.

He gives me the number on his shirt that he says is like a badge number and I told him ok. I got off, recorded time, bus, and location.

Now, my question is this...is any rule PAT may have preempted by 19 PA 6120?

Specifically: (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Prophet wrote:
Now, my question is this...is any rule PAT may have preempted by 19 PA 6120?

Specifically: (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
If the rule regulates "the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components" then yeah, unless PAT is a private company.

Prophet

imported post

I went to the PAT complaint page off their website and filled it out. In the box for the description I gave this summed up version:

While boarding the bus and preparing to pay, the bus driver rudely and loudly says: "NO, GET OFF". I asked what the problem was and he points to my hip where I had my sidearm holstered and started pontificating about the rules and how firearms aren't allowed on PAT buses. Since PAT is the port authority of Allegheny, as such I am sure you are aware that Pennsylvania's Firearm Preemption Clause 18 PA.C.S. § 6120 states, "No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms.

Knowing this I told him that he legally can't kick me off for having my sidearm at which point he yells for me to get off. I ask for his name so I could file a complaint and he responds by saying he's going to call the police if I don't get off the bus. I told him to go ahead and call the police and we'll have a documented account if he refuses to identify himself to me. He gets on the phone and appears to try and contact the police. After a few minutes, I suspect he realized I wasn't going to leave just because he said the word "police" (nor was I since I was completely in the right) he relented and gave me his operator number (1469).

My complaint comes down on two fronts.

First, the driver kicked me off for made up reasons that inconvenienced me greatly.

Secondly, his rudeness and lack of professionalism reflects poorly on the port authority and its other drivers.

I would hope that the proper measures and actions are taken so that this situation, especially from this driver, will not occur again. I will say that this was the first time in the 10+ years of riding PAT buses that I have every encountered this problem and I am hoping that it will be the last.

I'll post any updates I get.

Farmer Troy

imported post

Do you ride the bus often?

If so, has anything like this ever happened to you before, or do you normally just go about your business?

I remember, not too long ago, someone posted about being harassed by the Port Authority Police for Open Carrying? I think it was on the South Side/Station Square.

Prophet

imported post

I ride the bus or trolley about 5 days a week and this was the first time any driver said anything to me at all. I think this was just a rogue driver.