Thread: CWP Admisability Question?

Post imported post

To make a long story short, I have a misdemeanor conviction upon my record from over ten years ago when I was in college, the maximum potential jail time was less than one year. The charge entailed a dispute with a crooked auto repair merchant, where I signed his credit card slip with invisible ink. This whole matter was resolved in court as a dispute with predicating circumstances, where I paid a small fine and admitted my stupidity (no jail time or probation). However, the conviction still appears upon my record. I am currently licensed as a teacher in the state of South Carolina, and have worked for over ten years in the state. Upon checking with SLED they have stated that this event does not make me inadmissible, however I am concerned due to the South Carolina statement of "moral turpitude". This issue was an isolated incident that happened when I was in my twenties, whereby I admitted my action. Simply, would this matter of a person no longer present within affect me present day with my CWP application?

Post imported post

I also have a misdemeanor conviction on my record from a BS weapons charge in Colorado I plead guilty and received a deferred sentence,I was on probation for 9 months. I just made sure on my application that I explained everything in VERY complete detail. I had no problem what so ever getting my CWP. Just be honest, hope this helps.

Post imported post

My issue is the fact that on the face my charge looks as if it is moral turpitude. However, after explanation it is not. My question is how SLED will deal with it, as per SC law a conviction for a crime of moral turpitude is enough to deny a CWP. Does SLED look at other factors? Also, your conviction of weapon possession is not a crime of moral turpitude per SC standards.

State Researcher

Post imported post

After reading South Carolina's gun laws, I can find no basis for denying a CWP to anyone on the basis of any criminal conviction unless the conviction is for a crime (e.g., a felony or domestic violence) that results in the person becoming prohibited by law from possessing firearms other than carrying a gun in a prohibited location. The current SC CWP application form does not appear to ask for any information pertaining to nondisqualifying convictions. Thus, most non-DV misdemeanors are irrelevant to any CWP application.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

If it's not a crime of violence, substance abuse, or trafficking, it isn't likely to have any bearing on your eligibility for a CWP.