• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tillamook State Forest - ok to carry...?

Los

imported post

A while back I spoke with an ODF offical who told me it was ok to OC while off-roading at Tillamook State Forest. I could also CC provided I had a valid OR CHL. Not a problem....

Today I'm surfing the handgunlaw.us website and see that it says NO for carrying in State/National Forests according to Admin Rule 629-025-0050.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cremator75

imported post

This is kind of gray to me, but I think it is referring to designated recreation areas because 629-025-0040 says you can target shoot, so you have to have a loaded gun. However I am not sure if a CHL exempts you from those designated areas like it does in other situations.

629-025-0040
General Forest Recreation Rules
(9) Target Shooting.
(a) No person shall place targets on live trees or shoot live trees for any purpose.
(b) No person shall shoot across or along any road or trail.
(c) No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
(d) Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from State Forest land all shell casings, targets, and other debris resulting from their use.
(e) No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or people engaging in target shooting.
(f) No person shall shoot glass of any kind as a target.
(g) No person shall shoot appliances, furniture or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse by an enforcing officer.
(h) Target shooting and other shooting related activity will be prohibited from one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

629-025-0050
Designated Recreation Areas.
(1) State forest lands designated by the Forester as "Designated Recreation Areas" may include, but are not limited to campgrounds, camping areas, day use areas, trailheads, staging areas, and boat launch sites. Maps showing the Designated Recreation Areas shall be kept on file at the State Forester's office and the applicable District office, and shall be available for public inspection during normal business hours.
(2) General Forest Recreation Rules as outlined in OAR 629-025-0040 shall be applicable to Designated Recreation Areas. In addition to those rules, the following rules shall apply:
(5) Firearms, Weapons, Explosives: Within a designated recreation area no person shall:
(a) Hunt, pursue, trap, kill, injure, molest, or disturb the habitat of any bird or animal;
(b) Discharge any firearm, pellet gun, bow and arrow, slingshot or other weapon capable of injuring any person, bird, or animal;
(c) Possess any loaded firearms; or
(d) Discharge or cause to be discharged any firecrackers, explosives, torpedoes, rockets, fireworks, or other substances which could be harmful to visitors or resources without written permission of the Forester.

Anyone else?

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I inquired with OFF regarding this. This was what they wrote back to me:

---------------------

The Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) has stopped enforcing section c of OAR 629-25-050(5). This section relates to possession of a loaded firearm in state-owned forestland designated as a recreation area. The rule was originally developed with assistance from the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department. This was done so ODF would be aligned with that agency's rules for campgrounds. Oregon State Parks has since rescinded that rule. We, too, recognize the need to do the same.

Thank you for your interest in State Forests. If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.

Jeff Foreman
Public Information Officer
Oregon Dept of Forestry
2600 State Street
Salem, OR 97310
(503) 945-7506
jforeman@odf.state.or.us