• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exact Laws in orange county/ california for OC

oneaveragejohn

imported post

I was just wondering what exactly are the laws for open carry in this area of orange county or in California. if the gun can be loaded or not, and if not what u can do about holding your ammo, if it can be in another clip or what. thanks a lot.

john

coolusername2007

imported post

Welcome to the forum, Unloaded Open Carry, UOC. Ammo on person, not concealed,mag holster OK, not in pocket. See http://www.californiaopencarry.org for a variety of docs you can download and read. Check out the newbie forum here for more.

ETA: little clarification, loose ammo OK in pocket, loaded mags cannot be concealed. speed loaders in pocket or pouch OK also.

Bull Frog

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Unloaded Open Carry, UOC. Ammo on person, not concealed,mag holster OK, not in pocket. See http://www.californiaopencarry.org for a variety of docs you can download and read. Check out the newbie forum here for more.

ETA: little clarification, loose ammo OK in pocket, loaded mags cannot be concealed. speed loaders in pocket or pouch OK also.

Loaded mags can't be concealed? Wow, I thought I read something else elsewhere. But this is California, so who knows. I thought I could slip mags into a pocket while the pistol was out there for God and anyone else to see ... do I need to fire my legal eagle?

Oh, wait. I seem to remember clips have to be on the belt in plain sight too? Please confirm. I am getting ready to venture out, hopefully open carrying legally.

But I thought loaded clips were ok - regardless of their location on one's person - please elucidtate. I don't know exactly what that word means; I saw it somewhere ...

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bull Frog wrote:
Loaded mags can't be concealed? Wow, I thought I read something else elsewhere. But this is California, so who knows. I thought I could slip mags into a pocket while the pistol was out there for God and anyone else to see ... do I need to fire my legal eagle?

Oh, wait. I seem to remember clips have to be on the belt in plain sight too? Please confirm. I am getting ready to venture out, hopefully open carrying legally.

But I thought loaded clips were ok - regardless of their location on one's person - please elucidtate. I don't know exactly what that word means; I saw it somewhere ...
Loaded magazines cannot be concealed. See People v. Hale. Always carry magazines in a belt holster in plain view.

I would recommend you read up some more on the laws before you venture out and potentially get caught unaware of some random law. You only get one chance to get everything right. There isn't a rush to open carry, I'd hate to see you popped for some random violation because you forgot about some case law or something.

Army

imported post

People Vs Hale concluded that a magazine is an integral part of a semi-auto firearm. State law says that a magazine in your pocket is a concealed weapon.

The law ispart of the anti-gang legislation, which holds that if you are doing "gang things" with a magazine in your pocket...regardless of the complete absense of a gun...you will be charged with a concealed firearm.

So carry your magazines on your belt. Besides, they are easier to get to :)

Revolvers, having no required external componants, can be loaded singly, or with half or full moon clips carried in any manner you wish.

There is no law restricting the amount of ammunition you wish to carry, logic takes care of that.....or a strong belt :D

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Anotherexample ofprettypoorlegislating from the bench.

IANAL, butIthink that having an empty mag in your gun completes the gun. And having an extra mag in a pocket should not be a violation of PC12025.

Having just come from your local gun shop, is carrying a firing pin in your pocket a violation of PC12025 while UOCing? What if it were a replacement barrel for the gun you were UOCing?

But, I agree, it is "safer" to OC extra mags.

(Edit: Deleted sentence on volunteering.)