Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: handgun registration

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Herndon, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Hello, I just moved to VA from MD (Thank God) I was wondering if I need to register my gun with the VSP. It was of course registered in MD I could not find anything about that on the VSP site.

    Will be looking to get a CCP soon too. Think I will love VA.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    There is no registration in VA, BUT since you moved from MD to VA I would think that something would be required to transfer the gun into this state Someone else will chime in soon. Welcome to OC paradise

  3. #3
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    CHP, not CCP. Just for the purpose of syntax and what it actually covers.

    Also, VA does not have a preemptive confiscation policy. Yet.

    VA is to Maryland like Right-to-work is to Unionized labor.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ., ,
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    .

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ., ,
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    .

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Bill in VA wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    There is no registration in VA, BUT since you moved from MD to VA I would think that something would be required to transfer the gun into this state Someone else will chime in soon. Welcome to OC paradise
    Nope, nothing to do to "transfer the gun into this state" aside from bringing it with you. It's already yours so there's nothing to transfer to anyone.
    That's correct. Nothing needs to be done when you move to a different state other than bring them with you

    The other way for handguns to move between states without a dealer, is to have them inherited by means of a will.

  7. #7
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Jeepindon wrote:
    Hello, I just moved to VA from MD (Thank God) I was wondering if I need to register my gun with the VSP. It was of course registered in MD I could not find anything about that on the VSP site.

    Will be looking to get a CCP soon too. Think I will love VA.

    Thanks
    First off, welcome to Virginia and to OCDO. We're happy to have you with us. While waiting for your CHP (this is what it is in Virginia), feel free to open carry to your heart's content. We do it all of the time and you'd be amazed at the lack of problems or negative encounters you'll experience while doing this.


    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  8. #8
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Yea I wasn't sure about moving across state lines but that clears it up for me. Thanks

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Goochland, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    585

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Yea I wasn't sure about moving across state lines but that clears it up for me. Thanks
    Glad you made it out of Free State alive

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Herndon, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the Welcome and all of the quick responses. I look forward to joining a open carry dinner sometime.

  11. #11
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264

    Post imported post

    See if you can getyour guns deregistered from Maryland, if that's possible.

    When I fully relocate here and bring all my guns from Michigan, I will be doing the same with all my firearms that were subject to Michigan registration (handguns and short rifles/shotguns). Michigan State Police has a special form for deregistering weapons, so maybe Maryland has one too.

    The fewer databases you are in, the better for you.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Goochland, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    585

    Post imported post

    gis wrote:
    See if you can getyour guns deregistered from Maryland, if that's possible.

    When I fully relocate here and bring all my guns from Michigan, I will be doing the same with all my firearms that were subject to Michigan registration (handguns and short rifles/shotguns). Michigan State Police has a special form for deregistering weapons, so maybe Maryland has one too.

    The fewer databases you are in, the better for you.
    I am not sure I would even trust de-registration.

    Unless it were an heirloom or something like that, I would try to legally transfer those weapons to someone in Maryland and make sure that Maryland has a record that you no longer own those guns. Of course it depends on how many guns you are talking about, etc.

  13. #13
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264

    Post imported post

    Skeptic wrote:
    gis wrote:
    See if you can getyour guns deregistered from Maryland, if that's possible.

    When I fully relocate here and bring all my guns from Michigan, I will be doing the same with all my firearms that were subject to Michigan registration (handguns and short rifles/shotguns). Michigan State Police has a special form for deregistering weapons, so maybe Maryland has one too.

    The fewer databases you are in, the better for you.
    I am not sure I would even trust de-registration.

    Unless it were an heirloom or something like that, I would try to legally transfer those weapons to someone in Maryland and make sure that Maryland has a record that you no longer own those guns. Of course it depends on how many guns you are talking about, etc.
    In Maryland youhave to go through a regulateddealer for all regulated firearms (handguns, military style weapons), so transfering them and then keeping them will not work legally. The only way he may be able to do it is if the firearms are transfered to a Maryland FFL for shipment out of state. In Michigan that would trigger deregistration. However, if he did that, he would have to go through the federal 4473 process to get back his own guns in VA, not to mention the FFL transfer fees. In Michigan it is a little known fact that not only FFLs, but also private individuals can file the deregistration forms with the state if they are taking or shipping their registered guns out of state. If Maryland has the same process, he may be able to get his guns taken out of their system. If not, they will probably be there forever.

  14. #14
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the land of the still semi-free! Congratulations on your escape from fascist Maryland.

    Peruse the Virginia board for a coupla hours and you should glean all the info you need to enjoy gun ownership in the great Commonwealth of Virginia.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

    --Robert A. Heinlein

    Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    164

    Post imported post

    Bill in VA wrote:
    Nope. Virginia doesn't require registration of any firearms (with the exception of machineguns, and with machienguns it's a one-time-only thing, and not annually like Maryland (also free to register, unlike Maryland.))

    Other 2A-friendly things about our great state are that there are no magazine restrictions, CCW is "shall-issue", and the only things we're not allowed to have are Cobray Streetsweeper shotguns and "any semiautomatic folding stock shotgunof like kind with a spring tension drum capable of holding twelve shotgun shells." (Per § 18.2-308.8)

    Welcome to a free state.
    There are magazine restrictions.

    "§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."


  16. #16
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    @ tag:

    For public areas: yes. Those are completely off-limits in places like Kommiefornia.

    You may have hi-cap magazines on private property AND if in possession of valid CHP, as the code section states.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ., ,
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    .

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Goochland, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    585

    Post imported post

    gis wrote:
    Skeptic wrote:
    gis wrote:
    See if you can getyour guns deregistered from Maryland, if that's possible.

    When I fully relocate here and bring all my guns from Michigan, I will be doing the same with all my firearms that were subject to Michigan registration (handguns and short rifles/shotguns). Michigan State Police has a special form for deregistering weapons, so maybe Maryland has one too.

    The fewer databases you are in, the better for you.
    I am not sure I would even trust de-registration.

    Unless it were an heirloom or something like that, I would try to legally transfer those weapons to someone in Maryland and make sure that Maryland has a record that you no longer own those guns. Of course it depends on how many guns you are talking about, etc.
    In Maryland youhave to go through a regulateddealer for all regulated firearms (handguns, military style weapons), so transfering them and then keeping them will not work legally. The only way he may be able to do it is if the firearms are transfered to a Maryland FFL for shipment out of state. In Michigan that would trigger deregistration. However, if he did that, he would have to go through the federal 4473 process to get back his own guns in VA, not to mention the FFL transfer fees. In Michigan it is a little known fact that not only FFLs, but also private individuals can file the deregistration forms with the state if they are taking or shipping their registered guns out of state. If Maryland has the same process, he may be able to get his guns taken out of their system. If not, they will probably be there forever.
    Oh yes, I am proposing he sell or otherwise transfer them to someone else and say goodbye to them - depending on their value , etc

    It might be worth it to just buy replacement guns and get yourself off the registration list.

  19. #19
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264

    Post imported post

    Skeptic wrote:
    gis wrote:
    Skeptic wrote:
    gis wrote:
    See if you can getyour guns deregistered from Maryland, if that's possible.

    When I fully relocate here and bring all my guns from Michigan, I will be doing the same with all my firearms that were subject to Michigan registration (handguns and short rifles/shotguns). Michigan State Police has a special form for deregistering weapons, so maybe Maryland has one too.

    The fewer databases you are in, the better for you.
    I am not sure I would even trust de-registration.

    Unless it were an heirloom or something like that, I would try to legally transfer those weapons to someone in Maryland and make sure that Maryland has a record that you no longer own those guns. Of course it depends on how many guns you are talking about, etc.
    In Maryland youhave to go through a regulateddealer for all regulated firearms (handguns, military style weapons), so transfering them and then keeping them will not work legally. The only way he may be able to do it is if the firearms are transfered to a Maryland FFL for shipment out of state. In Michigan that would trigger deregistration. However, if he did that, he would have to go through the federal 4473 process to get back his own guns in VA, not to mention the FFL transfer fees. In Michigan it is a little known fact that not only FFLs, but also private individuals can file the deregistration forms with the state if they are taking or shipping their registered guns out of state. If Maryland has the same process, he may be able to get his guns taken out of their system. If not, they will probably be there forever.
    Oh yes, I am proposing he sell or otherwise transfer them to someone else and say goodbye to them - depending on their value , etc

    It might be worth it to just buy replacement guns and get yourself off the registration list.
    I see what you mean. If it's a couple of utility guns, I completely agree. But if it's more than a trivial number or kind, you will attract more attention during the 4473 process, unless of course you can get what you need through legal private transactions.

  20. #20
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Jeepindon wrote:
    Thanks for the Welcome and all of the quick responses. I look forward to joining a open carry dinner sometime.
    There is a luncheon this Saturday at Fuddrucker's in Fairfax. Check out the thread and see if you might be up for it. We'd love to have you join us.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    164

    Post imported post

    Bill in VA wrote:
    tag wrote:
    There are magazine restrictions.

    "§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."
    Do not confuse the issue. In VA there is NO limiitation on the size of a magazine one can possess. One can possess any size magazine, manufactured at any date, and acquired from any source.

    The law you cite aboveis not a blanket magazine restriction. It only restricts those folks who are not exempted (as listed) from OC'ing witha >20 round magazine inserted. If someone has a CCW, is a police officer, etc.. they may OC with a >20 round magazine in those localities. If they are not among those listed they may not OC with a >20 round magazine in those localities. Outside of those localities anyone may OC/CC/possess/buy/sell/trade/rent/eat/breed/fill-in-the-blank/etc.. with no restrictions on magazines
    I'm not confusing the issue. I never said there was a limitation on the size of a magazine one can possess. The only thing I said was that there is a restriction on magazines, and posted the relevant code. Telling the OP that there are no restrictions is inaccurate, and could get him into trouble (unlikely, but still possible).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •