• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

handgun registration

Jeepindon

imported post

Hello, I just moved to VA from MD (Thank God) I was wondering if I need to register my gun with the VSP. It was of course registered in MD I could not find anything about that on the VSP site.

Will be looking to get a CCP soon too. Think I will love VA.

Thanks

CRF250rider1000

imported post

There is no registration in VA, BUT since you moved from MD to VA I would think that something would be required to transfer the gun into this state:question: Someone else will chime in soon. Welcome to OC paradise:)

wylde007

imported post

CHP, not CCP. Just for the purpose of syntax and what it actually covers.

Also, VA does not have a preemptive confiscation policy. Yet.

VA is to Maryland like Right-to-work is to Unionized labor.

nova

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
There is no registration in VA, BUT since you moved from MD to VA I would think that something would be required to transfer the gun into this state:question: Someone else will chime in soon. Welcome to OC paradise:)
Nope, nothing to do to "transfer the gun into this state" aside from bringing it with you. It's already yours so there's nothing to transfer to anyone.
That's correct. Nothing needs to be done when you move to a different state other than bring them with you :D

The other way for handguns to move between states without a dealer, is to have them inherited by means of a will.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Jeepindon wrote:
Hello, I just moved to VA from MD (Thank God) I was wondering if I need to register my gun with the VSP. It was of course registered in MD I could not find anything about that on the VSP site.

Will be looking to get a CCP soon too. Think I will love VA.

Thanks

First off, welcome to Virginia and to OCDO. We're happy to have you with us. While waiting for your CHP (this is what it is in Virginia), feel free to open carry to your heart's content. We do it all of the time and you'd be amazed at the lack of problems or negative encounters you'll experience while doing this.

gis

imported post

See if you can getyour guns deregistered from Maryland, if that's possible.

When I fully relocate here and bring all my guns from Michigan, I will be doing the same with all my firearms that were subject to Michigan registration (handguns and short rifles/shotguns). Michigan State Police has a special form for deregistering weapons, so maybe Maryland has one too.

The fewer databases you are in, the better for you.:)

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gis wrote:

When I fully relocate here and bring all my guns from Michigan, I will be doing the same with all my firearms that were subject to Michigan registration (handguns and short rifles/shotguns). Michigan State Police has a special form for deregistering weapons, so maybe Maryland has one too.

I am not sure I would even trust de-registration.

Unless it were an heirloom or something like that, I would try to legally transfer those weapons to someone in Maryland and make sure that Maryland has a record that you no longer own those guns. Of course it depends on how many guns you are talking about, etc.

gis

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
gis wrote:

Unless it were an heirloom or something like that, I would try to legally transfer those weapons to someone in Maryland and make sure that Maryland has a record that you no longer own those guns. Of course it depends on how many guns you are talking about, etc.
In Maryland youhave to go through a regulateddealer for all regulated firearms (handguns, military style weapons), so transfering them and then keeping them will not work legally. The only way he may be able to do it is if the firearms are transfered to a Maryland FFL for shipment out of state. In Michigan that would trigger deregistration. However, if he did that, he would have to go through the federal 4473 process to get back his own guns in VA, not to mention the FFL transfer fees. In Michigan it is a little known fact that not only FFLs, but also private individuals can file the deregistration forms with the state if they are taking or shipping their registered guns out of state. If Maryland has the same process, he may be able to get his guns taken out of their system. If not, they will probably be there forever.

riverrat10k

imported post

Welcome to the land of the still semi-free! Congratulations on your escape from fascist Maryland.

Peruse the Virginia board for a coupla hours and you should glean all the info you need to enjoy gun ownership in the great Commonwealth of Virginia.

tag

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Nope. Virginia doesn't require registration of any firearms (with the exception of machineguns, and with machienguns it's a one-time-only thing, and not annually like Maryland (also free to register, unlike Maryland.))

Other 2A-friendly things about our great state are that there are no magazine restrictions, CCW is "shall-issue", and the only things we're not allowed to have are Cobray Streetsweeper shotguns and "any semiautomatic folding stock shotgunof like kind with a spring tension drum capable of holding twelve shotgun shells." (Per § 18.2-308.8)

Welcome to a free state.
There are magazine restrictions.

"§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."

wylde007

imported post

@ tag:

For public areas: yes. Those are completely off-limits in places like Kommiefornia.

You may have hi-cap magazines on private property AND if in possession of valid CHP, as the code section states.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gis wrote:
Skeptic wrote:
gis wrote:

In Maryland youhave to go through a regulateddealer for all regulated firearms (handguns, military style weapons), so transfering them and then keeping them will not work legally. The only way he may be able to do it is if the firearms are transfered to a Maryland FFL for shipment out of state. In Michigan that would trigger deregistration. However, if he did that, he would have to go through the federal 4473 process to get back his own guns in VA, not to mention the FFL transfer fees. In Michigan it is a little known fact that not only FFLs, but also private individuals can file the deregistration forms with the state if they are taking or shipping their registered guns out of state. If Maryland has the same process, he may be able to get his guns taken out of their system. If not, they will probably be there forever.
Oh yes, I am proposing he sell or otherwise transfer them to someone else and say goodbye to them - depending on their value , etc

It might be worth it to just buy replacement guns and get yourself off the registration list.

gis

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
gis wrote:
Skeptic wrote:
gis wrote:

Oh yes, I am proposing he sell or otherwise transfer them to someone else and say goodbye to them - depending on their value , etc

It might be worth it to just buy replacement guns and get yourself off the registration list.
I see what you mean. If it's a couple of utility guns, I completely agree. But if it's more than a trivial number or kind, you will attract more attention during the 4473 process, unless of course you can get what you need through legal private transactions.