• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

he's got a gun, he's got a gun look!

ichigo

imported post

What ever happened to being polite and discrete?

I needed some new arrows for the upcoming archery hunt and went to the MidvaleSportsman's Warehouse yesterday. They were lacking customer service which is irrelevant. I happened to be squatting down looking at the broad heads when some yahoo(customer), in a loud voice says, “he's got a gun, he's got a gun everyone, look”. I looked up in disgust to see if he was really talking about me and my XD. Sure enough he was looking at me smiling like he was trying to be my friend. I didn't think it was funny and he didn't get a smile in return. I kind of shook my head and went about my business.

It is common decency to not make personal comments about someone or their appearance. I put it in the same category as asking a fat woman if she is pregnant or are you a police officer because you have a gun. What if I was a police officer, would you give me a cookie or a high five? Why are people so curious and disrespectful.

Thinking about that later I was glad I was in a hunting/outdoors store and not in a bank. In the wrong situation those kind of comments could very well place you at the wrong end of a gun. I'm trying to think of a way diffuse it or down play something like that in the future. The way people are it's going to happen again and I want to be prepared.

sirged

imported post

Tactless that all I can think when I read this. As far as diffusing the situation you did the right thing IMO. Just ignore people like that and as far as being in a bank and something like that happening well I can just hope that never happens. Hopefully in that situation nothing would come of it, but I can see that as being a start to a very bad day. :banghead:

bmeldrum

imported post

I can't stand ignorant people... I would have been like: "hey if you don't want the cops here I suggest you not broadcast it to the world... I have a permit, it's perfectly legal" (even ifI didn't have a permit it's still legal). or maybe "yeah i do have one and now you're under arrest" and see what they say (j/k).

I wonder how old this person was? When ever I've heard something like this in a store it's usually in a whisper, quite voice & almost always its a kid who's tugging on his mom or dad's shirt and saying he has a gun or is that a real gun? or some people who are ignorant whispering I can't believe he's carrying a gun...

Bennelli

imported post

You handled that in a good way, I would have done either nothing and went about my business or I would have been as equally as loud and said something I would have that I shouldn't have. :cuss::lol:

ichigo

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
I can't stand ignorant people... I would have been like: "hey if you don't want the cops here I suggest you not broadcast it to the world... I have a permit, it's perfectly legal" (even ifI didn't have a permit it's still legal). or maybe "yeah i do have one and now you're under arrest" and see what they say (j/k).

I wonder how old this person was? When ever I've heard something like this in a store it's usually in a whisper, quite voice & almost always its a kid who's tugging on his mom or dad's shirt and saying he has a gun or is that a real gun? or some people who are ignorant whispering I can't believe he's carrying a gun...
He was in his early 30's so he should've known better.

bmeldrum

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
You handled that in a good way, I would have done either nothing and went about my business or I would have been as equally as loud and said something I would have that I shouldn't have. :cuss::lol:
That's a good point: you'd probably get kicked out for saying "mind your own F$@*ing business"
:cuss:

LovesHisXD45

imported post

I would have responded equally obnoxiously and loudly, "Hey look everyone! There's an idiot!!" and pointed back at the guy. :) lol

Kevin

Outsider

imported post

To me him yelling, "He's got a gun, he's got a gun! Look!" is inciting mayhem or a riot or disturbing the peace on his end. What if everyone had started running out screaming and then all of a sudden SWAT is called in on you? That person that thought he was being "funny" just disrupted everyone going about their normal day. Common sense people!

bmeldrum

imported post

or there's a bomb...

*have you seen Dumb & Dumber? It reminds me of the dream sequence at the end whereLloyd is pretending to shoot the husband: someone yells:"he's got a gun" and he's shooting & saying "die"... (love that movie, classic) "harry you're alive & you're a horrible shot" "what if he shot you in the face?"

JTknives

imported post

Somthing like this happend to me awhile back when I first started carying. I was in my local gas station buying some hotdogs. I know the owner of the store. This man walks in and sees my gun and stops in his tracks. Puts his hands up in the air and starts saying very loudley "don't shoot, don't shoot". I don't know if because he was black he thought it was funny but I was not very happy. The store owner told him to shut up and put his hands down. He then asked me if I was a cop and how can I carry my gun like that. Well that started me talking and telling him how Utah works. I guess he was not from our state and was just passing throu. Any way it's not very fun when some one over reacts to a gun. You want to just slap them ans say "pull your self togather man"

kirkaroberts

imported post

sirged wrote:
Like yelling fire in a full theater
That is exactly what I was thinking. What a great way to cause panic. Doing that makes it sound as if someone is waving a gun around or something. What a jackass.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ichigo wrote:
“he's got a gun, he's got a gun everyone, look”.
Call the police right away. Report the individual to LEO, after all that's the same as yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, it should be illegal for the DIP--it to yell that. He should get a disorderly conduct ticket or something for trying to insight...

wrightme

imported post

ichigo wrote:
some yahoo(customer), in a loud voice says, “he's got a gun, he's got a gun everyone, look”. I looked up in disgust to see if he was really talking about me and my XD. Sure enough he was looking at me smiling like he was trying to be my friend. I didn't think it was funny and he didn't get a smile in return. I kind of shook my head and went about my business..
"Sir, do you know that is like yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater? Not to mention, it is rude?"