• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any home-schoolers out there?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

If you do not have a cpl, you may be violating federal law if you own a firearm and "home-school" your children.

The law bans guns within 1,000 feet from the "grounds" of a "public, parochial or private school..." "School" means "a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as defined under State law."

Most -- if not all -- states do recognize that home schools provide "elementary or secondary education" for the purpose of exempting those students from the mandatory attendance requirements of state law.

The act does NOT specifically look to state law with respect to the question of whether a "home school" is a "private school." But there is a substantial danger that courts will make that finding. Webster's Dictionary defines "private" to mean: "2. not open to, intended for, or controlled by the public [a private school]." Obviously, a home school is not open to, intended for, or controlled by the public. Every educated advocate interested in preserving home schools who has reviewed this problem has reached the same conclusion: there is too much of a danger that this act will be interpreted to prohibit the possession of firearms by parents who home school their kids.

In fact, Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee have privately conceded the dangers for home schools, quietly assuring other House Republicans that they would be willing to entertain a "clarification" protecting home schools. Unfortunately, these "assurances" are too-little, too-late.

Those of you who think that because your home school is "private property" and you would be somehow exempt, take a look at which private property is given an exception under the law.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/gun_free_school_zones.txt

T Vance

imported post

So that begs the question, if your neighbor (or just any house you are walking by) has a child that is being home schooled and you are within 1000 feet with a handgun, andwithout a CPL are you breaking the law?

conservative85

imported post

I have to believe that this case is similar to the state law that allows it to be up to the discretion of the owner or admin. of a school(private). Besides if that is the way they want to play then I'm tax exempt, due to the fact schools don't pay taxes. I will file with the michigan tribunal for all the back taxes for all the years we home schooled.

Scooter

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
I have to believe that this case is similar to the state law that allows it to be up to the discretion of the owner or admin. of a school(private). Besides if that is the way they want to play then I'm tax exempt, due to the fact schools don't pay taxes. I will file with the michigan tribunal for all the back taxes for all the years we home schooled.
HA! :celebrateI am with you on that!

CoonDog

imported post

I'm glad this was posted. My wife and I have just begun seriously considering the homeschool option and this isn't a concern we had yet realized (Luckily, my CPL arrived this week). If finances pan out, we may be able to start next year for our two boys.

Scooter

imported post

I'm glad this was posted. My wife and I have just begun seriously considering the homeschool option and this isn't a concern we had yet realized (Luckily, my CPL arrived this week). If finances pan out, we may be able to start next year for our two boys.

We home school our kids, it is a great option if you are up to the task!

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

T Vance wrote:
So that begs the question, if your neighbor (or just any house you are walking by) has a child that is being home schooled and you are within 1000 feet with a handgun, andwithout a CPL are you breaking the law?
Not necessarily. 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)provides:
It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
Even if residences that contain home schools are covered under the law (a question which turns on state law and which I would not want to concede to the government), I think it would be very difficult in most cases to prove that a person knew or had reasonable cause to believe any particular residence is a home school (and thus triggers a "school zone" designation).

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

But if your home-school neighbor has informed you, and really doesn't like you....

I just posted this as more of an "informational" post. This just underscores that we need to get this law repealed!

atlantis

imported post

Dr Todd said:
"School" means "a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as defined under State law."

huh... A 'what' which provides elementary....???

You can't define a word by using the word in the definition.

It doesn't even make sense.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

atlantis wrote:
Dr Todd said:
"School" means "a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as defined under State law."

If by "you" you mean "me", you are preaching to the choir atlantis... I am well aware of the rules of logical discourse. I was not posting "my" definition. I posted the definition contained in the US Code... see here. (Scroll down to definition of "school")

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

atlantis

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
atlantis wrote:
Dr Todd said:

If by "you" you mean "me", you are preaching to the choir atlantis... I am well aware of the rules of logical discourse.  I was not posting "my" definition.  I posted the definition contained in the US Code... see here. (Scroll down to definition of "school")

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

Sorry Dr Todd, I didn't mean to imply that you personally didn't know that.

I am pretty amazed they would word it that way. I think what they meant by that poorly worded definition is that one must go to 'other' state law to find the definition of a school. In other words there are other types of schools but for the purpose of this law they are only considering the schools that provides elementary or secondary education.

Doesn't really clear things up for us much does it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Just shows how well thought-out these knee-jerk reactions are.;)

I wish that we did have people in the state and federal legislatures who would at least read and attempt to understand what they are attempting to accomplish. What irks me even more is that some probably DID see the potential problems with what they were doing but still felt compelled to vote for this nonsense.