• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St Tammany Carry

Craw

imported post

First off, Hello from the Northshore. New member here.

Anyone in the St Tammany area open carry?

I am new to this forum. I have read open carry stories from another forum and found this one. I been reading all I can on the laws. Just trying to get all the facts before I do so.

kdick3

imported post

I've carried in the St. Tammany area a few times. Used to work in Slidell. Aside from the occasional puzzled stare I had no problems. You're well within your rights and the law open carrying in the state of Louisiana, although some law enforcement officers are unaware of said law.

You shouldn't have any problems carrying. Just understand, it is your right to carry as it is business' rights to refuse service to you (or post "no firearm" signs on the door). If you find yourself in that situation leave and find another place to spend your money as there are plenty of other places that would love to accept it. Just be respectful and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck!

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Craw,

Welcome to the forum. We do have a number of memberson the Northshore - from Hammond to Slidell. If you poke around in the "Members" list (blue tab at the top of the page), you may find a few on your own, assuming they have placed their location in their profile. You can try clicking on the "Louisiana" in the location field of my Avatar for a listing of anyone who indicated Louisiana as their location. You might want to add "Slidell" as a location in your own profile; sometimes it helps people understand where you're coming from if they know where you are. :)

For some law links, try visiting http://www.louisianacarry.organd poking around a bit. He has some very interesting links to laws and legal decisions regarding firearms in Louisiana. The sitemay bea tiny bit behind the times on a few points because he has gone back to school seeking a law degree; but it is time well spent, as he has put together an impressive amount of information.

You can also find laws yourself by gong to the Louisiana State Legislative website http://www.legis.state.la.us/and clicking on the "Louisiana Laws" link on the left side of the page. Follow the instructions for entering search criteria and you can wade through the actual laws yourself. Some of them are quite confusing, but most have been discussed here quite often. If you search through the older threads, you will likely find something interesting to read.

Craw

imported post

Thanks guys, I will look around within this forum.

I have been doing a lot of reading about how to act when a business tells you to conceal or leave. Alot of Walmart threads. Private property is what it is and needs to be treated with the respect you want from OC'ing. I have learned a few polite, to the point questions and facts to ask when confronted. Lots of good reading out there that goes beyond the simple fact that Open carry is legal so I will do so.

Again Thanks guys. And I am from Slidell.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

Welcome from Slidell. I truly believe as long as you don't look the part of a hoodlum, you should be fine. If you try to go around with your pants halhway down your butt and your hat on half sidewards, with a Glock strapped on, you just may get introduced to Sheriff Strains finest, or at least a Slidell Po-Po.;)

One thing to remember, you may beat the rap, but that doesn't mean you won't take the ride.:?

Craw

Wow, this is an oldie. I have open carried a few times no problems. I spread the word every chance I can. My family, friends, and other online forums.