• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

HYRYSC

imported post

I have been having discussions at work regarding the pro's and con's of each, and my co-workers always seem to bring up the "element of surprise" or "First to get shot" theory.

I always ask them to provide proof for this, and of course they do not, but I recently ran across an interesting quote that is in "gun-facts 5.1" quoted from the book "Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms".

It reads,"60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed."

To me, an extra 20% deterrence is certainly a very good reason for me to "announce" (as my friends call it) that I am indeed carrying a firearm.

Just a thought

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That is one of the factors that OCers bring up to support OC over CC.

Personally I think:

that there ARE some situations in which an OCer is more likely to be killed right off than a CCer;

that there ARE some situations in which an OCer gets left alone and a CCer ends up in a life or death situation;

that there ARE some situations in which a CCer's "element of surprise" forces a CCer into a situations the OCer would not have been put into by virtue of his arms being visible.

My end analysis: Neither is the preferable choice 100% of the time and one must use that big grey thing between one's ears to weigh risk and comfort of OC v CC in a given situation or environment.

Ss

imported post

I dont see any great benefit overriding the other cc vs. oc.

The only thing with OC is you can scare the sheeple but otherwise do what you like.

BAH BAH I miss being a sheeple.

Leaving for TN in 7 weeks going to open carry all the way there. Have to check a few cities to make sure though not to stop in.