• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do about Madison

GlocksRfun

imported post

So, apparently rules don't apply to the Madison PD. I've heard some ideas in various threads of things to do out there. Figure we should consolidate them here. It would be nice to get a bunch of people together at once. Hard to do with short notice though. Having a smaller amount of people sight seeing often may do the trick also. I might be able to get out there this Saturday.

Any ideas? here is the place for them and the time is now.

AaronS

imported post

Is this some kind of fun joke to you? Do you not understand what is happening in Madison? What is wrong with you?

We need to put a stop to this, and your jokes are not even a bit funny.Take itto a differentforum.

This is the whole problem in Wisconsin.

This friend of ours was abused by a police department- AGAIN - . The time is at hand to start doing something about this. We have to take our state back now, before NEW ANTI GUN LAWS are passed. Get off your butts, and help us out!

We need to set up a rally in Madison (PERMIT AND ALL). I do not have a job, or money (we do still have our house, for now), but I can not believe that someone with some cash, can not pay for a permit, and set up the city of Madison for a wake up call. What is going on with our "better off" forum members?

If I have to I will pay for a permit, but it will dig into my wallet a lot more then most...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Is this some kind of fun joke to you? Do you not understand what is happening in Madison? What is wrong with you?

We need to put a stop to this, and your jokes are not even a bit funny.Take itto a differentforum.

This is the whole problem in Wisconsin.

This friend of ours was abused by a police department- AGAIN - . The time is at hand to start doing something about this. We have to take our state back now, before NEW ANTI GUN LAWS are passed. Get off your butts, and help us out!

We need to set up a rally in Madison (PERMIT AND ALL). I do not have a job, or money (we do still have our house, for now), but I can not believe that someone with some cash, can not pay for a permit, and set up the city of Madison for a wake up call. What is going on with our "better off" forum members?

If I have to I will pay for a permit, but it will dig into my wallet a lot more then most...

Ok, first yesit was funny., 2nd, NO one here can go back in time and stop it. 3rd, I think everyone here voted against Doyle, so there is nothing more we can do to prevent these things from happening The Madison Cops are Nazi's& cannot be stopped.So, until the next election cycle we have what we have. Calling our elected representatives don't help, since the Republican ones that might listen to us are out numbered currently. So, a little humor is all we have& NO i was not making light of what happened to our brother in arms.

M

McX

imported post

It' sucks, it's small, but it's all of us at stake, small time charge or not, they will make it a big time charge, and we all take a hit. I'll wait for the Moderator to tell me where to send the check, kinda like in that fireman movie some years back: If you go I go. It's Doyle's back yard, that's why the heats on. Let us all hope and pray their budget winds are against them. And we win a small fraction of a victory.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm willing to pay for whatever permit is required to get this going. I'm all of the way down in Racine, but I'm willing to send money to someone is Madison to pay for this, and I'll try to clear my schedule to make it to the decided on date.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

We do not need any stinking permits! We are still afforded free travel around this once great nation!

I cannot believe nobody butone other personand myself are ready to meet in Madison this weekend in response to the arrest and charging of disordery conduct to Travis Yates.

WTF Guys & Gals? Is too much to ask that you mightbe inconvenienced by some jack-booted thugs in Madison than to fight for your rights?
Disappointing, very disappointing!

Are you scared, are you afraid of an illegal arrest for exercising your god-given rights.

or do you only go to events where the police guarantee the police won't **** with you? We will get nowhere using that tactic. It is no better than asking for permission!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
I'm willing to pay for whatever permit is required to get this going. I'm all of the way down in Racine, but I'm willing to send money to someone is Madison to pay for this, and I'll try to clear my schedule to make it to the decided on date.
Planning an event of the type that requires a permit plays into the hands of the city who can deny the permit or place bizarre limitations on the assmbly. I don't see why this is being suggested.

If you want to pay money - pay it to fund civil litigation against Madison.

Madison PD has a published policy on their web site authorizing police officers to seize all gun carriers regardles of whether their is reasonable suspicion of crime. Apparently with Travis, they have actually executed this policy and are prosecuting the man for conduct protected by the constitution and according to the AG memo, not within the scope of the disorderly conduct statute anyway.

Folks like Travis, or other folks who are nor in fear of this kind of rogue conduct by the City, should consider suing the city for damages and declaratory & injuctive relief - this means you need to pay money to qualified Wisconsin barred attornies to get a litigation strategy together and make this happen. Somtimes suits can be funded on a contingency basis, but not always.

GeorgiaCarry.org lawyers, one of whom is apparently a member of the Wisconisn bar, apparently has suggested on this board that people continue to carry openly in Madison and sue if they are unlawfully harassed by police - our experience around the country and so far in non-Madison Wisconsin is that open carry only becomes normalized when more people open carry and actual lawsuits are filed against any harassment.

Again, only in a civil action do you as Plaintiffs gain some sort of control over what is happenning - and trust me, the City leaders of Madison are not going to like their officials being deposed and the taxpayers being on the hook for damages, and the city's legal bills.

My civil rights lawsuit against Pennsylvania for federal SSN privacy violations (Stollenwerk v. Miller) cost me $48,000 which after years of litigation, I got back because I won and won under 42 USC 1983 which has an atty fee shifting provision. Thanks to the NRA and GOA, I did have some help carrying about a third of that $48,000 bill - he rest i paid on credit card or from my savings.

But then again, litigating state law issues per se is hard to do via 42 USC 1983 and so you may have to go to state court without an atty fee shifting provision.

But somebody in Wisconsin with time, understandng of how the world works, and money needs to step forward and take the lead on this as a plaintiff or plaintiff organizer. This person would need to spend a liot of time doing this - and contact the NRA, ACLU, GOA, other groups, wealthy doners who wish to remain silent, etc. And also contact police unions to see if they oppose their officers being ordered to act unconstitutionally thus putting them and their careers at risk of attack thru civil litigation, and be willing to get your face in the newspaper and speak like a normal calm educated adult, not like a libertarian looney who can't stay on message.

I don't know who this person is in Wisconsin, but I'm sure there are some on this board who could do this and hopefully somebody steps forward to do so soon.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
Again, only in a civil action do you as Plaintiffs gain some sort of control over what is happenning - and trust me, the City leaders of Madison are not going to like their officials being deposed and the taxpayers being on the hook for damages, and the city's legal bills.

Sure about that? If they don't care about the lives of law-abiding citizens, only criminals, why should they care about our bank accounts? They can just raise taxes to cover the costs.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sure about that? If they don't care about the lives of law-abiding citizens, only criminals, why should they care about our bank accounts? They can just raise taxes to cover the costs.
they may not notice a 10k settlement, but if you go all out and file that million dollar suit like ms. Hain in PA, the people of Madison will take notice and they won't like losing their money. The city officials will definitely hear about it and not do it again.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Mike wrote:
But then again, litigating state law issues per se is hard to do via 42 USC 1983 and so you may have to go to state court without an atty fee shifting provision.

The Fourth Amendment is a federal law issue. I just thought I would throw that in. Seizing somebody for something that is not a violation of any state or federal law is a Fourth Amendment issue, so it is a 1983 issue.

Here is an example of what I am discussing.

http://www.georgiacarry.com/county/paulding_carry/Doc%2031%20Order%20on%20MSJ.pdf

Note it says basically that the officers were wrong, but they are immune (so no damages, and no recovery of attorney fees). I posted this pdf Order for the purpose of showing how an arrest for something that is not a crime under state law is actually a federal issue.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
We do not need any stinking permits! We are still afforded free travel around this once great nation!

I cannot believe nobody butone other personand myself are ready to meet in Madison this weekend in response to the arrest and charging of disordery conduct to Travis Yates.

WTF Guys & Gals? Is too much to ask that you mightbe inconvenienced by some jack-booted thugs in Madison than to fight for your rights?
Disappointing, very disappointing!

Are you scared, are you afraid of an illegal arrest for exercising your god-given rights.

or do you only go to events where the police guarantee the police won't @#$% with you? We will get nowhere using that tactic. It is no better than asking for permission!
I'm not saying I think we need permits, I was simply offering money to get it going if that is what is required. This wouldn't be a I'll pay this and not later type of thing, I know I'm busy the next two weekends and was trying to give some type of support.