• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My OC Experience in Lathrup Village

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
johnbrun wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
. . . do not be without at least one recording device.
Are you suggesting a back-up recorder?  Do you often carry more than one?  Just curious!
What difference does it make what I carry.

There have been reports of officers seizing recorders, and erasing the contents. Having a backup is a good plan. It may sound ridiculous, but so doe the officers seizing a digital recorder, let alone erasing the files on it.

I'd want to go with a hidden wireless lavalier pack with the receiver and recorder in the trunk of my car. Find my car or jam all local radio signals, otherwise it's getting recorded. As backup, a parabolic microphone being pointed my direction by a friend.

DanM

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
I'd want to go with a hidden wireless lavalier pack with the receiver and recorder in the trunk of my car. Find my car or jam all local radio signals, otherwise it's getting recorded. As backup, a parabolic microphone being pointed my direction by a friend.

Soon as I get a few extra bucks, I'm upgrading from my Olympusdigital tothe geosynchronous satellite with mega-zoom optics and wireless relay capability. Eyes and ears in the sky, baby! Throw theRusskies a few spare good ol' American greenbacks to put it in orbit for me. That'll give their space-tourist du jour a reason to do someEVA and maybe they'll cut me a discount, too.

I have weird dreams sometimes. Heh. :D

lapeer20m

imported post

I hate carrying extra electronic devices. Many cell phones have a voice recorder feature. A phone is something i have with me almost all the time, and i've practiced going through the menu and finding the record function several times so that i don't have to fumble with it when needed. Slightly OT, but i started recording on my phonejust the other day when i was nearing the Hoover dam. They have a roadblock set up and pull random vehicles over to inspect them. I was not going to consent to any search and wanted to record the conversation. Fortunately we were allowed to drive through without any problems.

An officer may be less likely to recognize that you phone is recording the conversation and therefore less likely to confiscate and delete the data.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
I hate carrying extra electronic devices.  Many cell phones have a voice recorder feature.  A phone is something i have with me almost all the time, and i've practiced going through the menu and finding the record function several times so that i don't have to fumble with it when needed.  Slightly OT, but i started recording on my phone just the other day when i was nearing the Hoover dam.  They have a roadblock set up and pull random vehicles over to inspect them.  I was not going to consent to any search and wanted to record the conversation.  Fortunately we were allowed to drive through without any problems. 

An officer may be less likely to recognize that you phone is recording the conversation and therefore less likely to confiscate and delete the data. 

I also use a phone because I hate having too many things to keep track of, sort of a minimalist in this regard. Like you, I realize that one needs to practice extensively with it to make it truly usable.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Any encounter can be intimidating I would think until you experience it one or more times. I've only had to disclose concealed once and even then I was nervous.. mostly of a corrupt LEO..

Keep up the public informing!

Off topic,

Can you post links to the audio recorders that you would highly suggest for these types of situations? I think it would be great if people, including myself, would know what to look for.

<EDIT>

I moved my off topic subject
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/29907.html

</EDIT>

Thanks

MotorCity

imported post

I wanted to post a follow up to the the experience I had.

I did write the Chief of Police for Lathrup Village about my encounter and received a phone call from him and an email response. In the phone call he readily admitted his officers made a mistake and offered an apology. Below isthe written response I received from him today. Overall, a better response than I was expecting.

Hello Mr XXXXX,

This is interim Chief Armstrong writing you regarding the policy of the Lathrup Village police department on open carry.
We adhere to the rules of open carry. Open carry is legal, except where the certain zones that are off limits.
With a CPL, you have the right to still open carry and can even carry in areas that are prohibited by just the open carry laws.

In your recent encounter with Officers Ayres and Dionne, They were counseled on the rules of open carry and this should not be an issue again.

Yours truly,

Chief, William Armstrong
Lathrup Village Police Department
TX 248-557-3600 ext 232

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MotorCity wrote:

I did write the Chief of Police for Lathrup Village about my encounter and received a phone call from him and an email response. In the phone call he readily admitted his officers made a mistake and offered an apology. Below isthe written response I received from him today. Overall, a better response than I was expecting.

Hello Mr XXXXX,

This is interim Chief Armstrong writing you regarding the policy of the Lathrup Village police department on open carry.
We adhere to the rules of open carry. Open carry is legal, except where the certain zones that are off limits.
With a CPL, you have the right to still open carry and can even carry in areas that are prohibited by just the open carry laws.

In your recent encounter with Officers Ayres and Dionne, They were counseled on the rules of open carry and this should not be an issue again.

Yours truly,

Chief, William Armstrong
TX 248-557-3600 ext 232

Well done. Time will tell if they mean it. But know they have admitted that it's legal and have counseled their officers. If it does happen again, more fuel for the civil suit.

Scooter

imported post

Venator wrote:
MotorCity wrote:

Hello Mr XXXXX,

Yours truly,

Chief, William Armstrong
TX 248-557-3600 ext 232

Well done. Time will tell if they mean it. But know they have admitted that it's legal and have counseled their officers. If it does happen again, more fuel for the civil suit.

I would say this ended up being a real slam-dunk if they prove themselves.They admitted they were wrong and even mentioned the fact of your right to OC in"prohibited areas", WOW, I have heard many in LE admit that OC is a right but they don't want to even touch the PFZ's.

Now if someone pretends to not know your rights, you'll know better.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MotorCity wrote:
I wanted to post a follow up to the the experience I had...
Unreal! Good work.

You ought to send him a note of appreciation.

Can your chief advise some departments here in Ohio? LOL