Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Open-carry picnic set at Glenwood City, WI (Aug. 23d, 2009)

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-...id=BKS7JU5R0B2

    Open-carry picnic set at Glenwood City





    [size=2]By Chuck Rupnow

    Leader-Telegram staff

    [size=2]
    GLENWOOD CITY - Glenwood City Police Chief Robert Darwin said he's not overly concerned about hundreds of people coming to the St. Croix County Fairgrounds on Aug. 23 armed with loaded sidearms.

    "I don't have a problem with what they want to do," he said. "They have the lawful right to do that.

    "My concern is how the general public will respond," Darwin said Wednesday. "I hope they will respect it, since it is lawful. The people coming to this are not the kind of people we need to worry about."

    Dave "Ole" Olson said he and his wife, Annette, organized the "Open Carry Picnic" from noon to 4:30 p.m. at the fairground primarily to inform people of their Second Amendment right to openly carry sidearms.

    He plans to hold another event in a few months in Hudson related to First- and Second-Amendment rights, with a nationally-recognized guest speaker.

    "This is important to me because it has to do with our liberties," he said. "Our passion is liberty and freedom. In my thinking, the country is going in the wrong direction and people need to know that they have the right to carry a gun."

    Olson said the effort is not sponsored by any group, and said he is spending about $2,000 of his own money for food to handle about 400 people, including barbecue beef sandwiches, beans, coleslaw and other food items.

    The event is open to the public. A freewill offering will help cover the costs, and people are encouraged to bring a dish to pass. Sidearms are not required to attend.

    "The purpose of this is, for the general public and the gun owners alike, education," he said. "I can't believe the number of people who don't know the law."

    Similar events have been held at other locations in the state, including Onalaska and last weekend in Green Bay.

    Firearms may be loaded but must be holstered at all times at the site. Only people 18 or older may possess a firearm, and no long guns or alcohol will be permitted at the site.

    Olson said he actually is not an advocate for the open carry law,

    "I am not an advocate of open carry for several reasons; one being that it does give a certain discomfort level to some people," said Olson, a construction contractor.

    Olson has invited numerous legislators and officials, including St. Croix County Sheriff Dennis Hillstead.

    "He did extend an invitation for me to stop by, but I'm not sure if I will or not," Hillstead said. "I believe it is a way for people to test municipal ordinances against what the state law is."

    Chief Darwin said Glenwood City's ordinance regarding handgun possession was "basically unenforceable" based on an April 20 decision by state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen.

    Darwin said people were receiving disorderly conduct citations for carrying a weapon, but the law states there must be extenuating circumstances or unlawful acts along with carrying the weapon.

    Darwin said there will not be a great police presence, in part because budget cuts reduced the police department from three full-time and four part-time officers to only two full-time officers.

    "I don't anticipate any problems," he said. "After all, these are the people who came and told us about what they plan to do."

    Dick Sullwold, president of the St. Croix County Fair Board, said Wednesday that he had no issues with renting out a portion of the fairgrounds for the event.

    "As for me renting out the facilities, I would do it for most any event," he said, adding that it will cost $150 for an outdoor event or $200 if the event is held inside a building on the grounds because of inclement weather.

    Rupnow can be reached at 830-5831,

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    61

    Post imported post

    WOW.

    Sounds like the Chief of Police of Glenwood City and the Sheriff of St. Croix county are more concerned with people's rights than with their own egos. This is a foreign concept to me.

    Wonder what housing prices are like up that way...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellsworth, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    MadisonRebel wrote:
    WOW.

    Sounds like the Chief of Police of Glenwood City and the Sheriff of St. Croix county are more concerned with people's rights than with their own egos. This is a foreign concept to me.

    Wonder what housing prices are like up that way...
    Not too bad and it's only 30 miles to Mpls/ St Paul which are big enough to keep a guy entertained and with a decent job.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    ScottM wrote:
    ...big enough to keep a guy entertained and with a decent job.
    Hence the need to be armed against folks that want your entertainment and benefits from your job.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wes-Central Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    Its a beautiful area to live in, just far enough outside of the Twin Cities Metro area to not have to deal with living in the cities. Dave & Annete are my folks, and I live about 10 miles east of them in a neighboring town. Dad & I work at the same company in St Paul and it is about an hour commute.

    Just got a call from mom. A reporter from Kare 11 tv (out of the Twin Cities) wants to interview her and dad. Kind of exciting to have all this coverage! I'm just hoping it will be positive. Forgive my cynicism, but I'm not convinced that main-stream media will present the event in a favorable light.

    Thanks for all the support. Keep spreading the word about the picnic and see you there!

    Mellissa


    Find me on Facebook. I am Defiance Personal Protection.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Def...386781?sk=wall

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    It is not cynicism but it is realism.

    We citizens are only grist for mills, the lamestream media's, law enforcement's and the tax collector's.

    Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting worldview.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    countrymama wrote:
    Forgive my cynicism, but I'm not convinced that main-stream media will present the event in a favorable light.
    That's not their job -their job is to report on "stories" which have many sides to every issue - all publicity is good publicity for us in these kinds of events - just invite normal people to normally open carry and give the press plenty of things to report on - works like drano.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wes-Central Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    WATCH KARE11 TONIGHT!

    They interviewed mom at length today about the Picnic and are having a feature at 6pm tonight on Kare11 out of the twin cities.
    Find me on Facebook. I am Defiance Personal Protection.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Def...386781?sk=wall

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    I can't thank the organizers enough for planning this event. I'll definitely be in attendance!

    Here's a link to the KARE 11 story for those of you who may have missed it and wish to see it:

    http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...ect=1214561953

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wes-Central Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    a msg that my dad emailed out, thought i would include it here, too:

    I thought I’d send this as a reminder for those who may have thought it was last weekend. I got several calls Monday asking how it went.


    There is still time to spread the word; we’re hoping to set a record turnout for this type of event. The forecast as of now, looks great 78o and sunny.


    There will be a play area for the kids and we have several door prizes, including an American Flag and John Lott’s book “More guns, less crime”


    Load up the bus and come join us.
    Find me on Facebook. I am Defiance Personal Protection.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Def...386781?sk=wall

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    I don't get it. An Open Carry picnic but the man organizing the event stated:

    "Olson said he actually is not an advocate for the open carry law,

    "I am not an advocate of open carry for several reasons; one being that it does give a certain discomfort level to some people," said Olson, a construction contractor."

    What are the other reasons?

    And just how do you think people will react if they found out you were carrying a concealed fire arm?

    Take a stand! You are for your 2nd Amendment rights or your against them.

    I will not support any bill, legislation, movement or event that goes against a no compromise OCW/CCW non permitted system........EVER!

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Post imported post

    J.Gleason wrote:
    I don't get it. An Open Carry picnic but the man organizing the event stated:

    "Olson said he actually is not an advocate for the open carry law,
    He posted his reasons and an explanation in another thread and commented that he's starting to change his mind about open carry.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Brass Magnet wrote:
    J.Gleason wrote:
    I don't get it. An Open Carry picnic but the man organizing the event stated:

    "Olson said he actually is not an advocate for the open carry law,
    He posted his reasons and an explanation in another thread and commented that he's starting to change his mind about open carry.
    Yeah, we need to keep ou big tent here nice and friendly to all gun owners and potential gun owners - concealed carry is a big deal to many gun owners and frankly does offer significant practicality to carrying in reaL life.

    Also, for a while, concealed carry mantras became almost cult-like so it is taking a while to get people de-programmed.

    Overtime though even the most ardent concealed carry proponents can be pursuaded to admit that open carry is a valuable option to many or most gun owners and them too.



  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Then why not discuss this in the forum instead of a private phone call?

    OK since I have posted this comment, I have talked to Mr. Olsen on the phone and I will be rereading the article in case I have misread it the first time. He agreed he will do the same.

    I expleined to him my position on a no compromise CCW/OCW non permitted system and he explained his as well.

    Even if we both agree to disagree, we both stand by our principles.



  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    I do not mind someone using Open-Carry as a tool to forward a concealed-carry option for us, and be able to practice both methods. But just as long as they do not start bashing O-C rights and trying to barter O-C for C-C that requires permits and money to be spent for permits and mandatory training which will basically turn into a gun registration program.

    I am now mixed on my feelings of attending this event,
    I still plan on attending, but if O-C is used as a barter piece for a permit-required C-C plan,
    I may become very vocalabout my disdain for loweringthe protected right of O-Cin this state to a privelgae one must ask permission to practice.



  17. #17
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    Yeah, we need to keep ou big tent here nice and friendly to all gun owners and potential gun owners - concealed carry is a big deal to many gun owners and frankly does offer significant practicality to carrying in reaL life.

    Also, for a while, concealed carry mantras became almost cult-like so it is taking a while to get people de-programmed.

    Overtime though even the most ardent concealed carry proponents can be pursuaded to admit that open carry is a valuable option to many or most gun owners and them too.

    WOW. Carrying in real life? Mike youdon't carryin real life now? Not sure that comment helps. Many OCers carry in real life all the time. Perhaps what you meant was there are times when CC is a benefit.

    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Fireball357's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    I do not mind someone using Open-Carry as a tool to forward a concealed-carry option for us, and be able to practice both methods. But just as long as they do not start bashing O-C rights and trying to barter O-C for C-C that requires permits and money to be spent for permits and mandatory training which will basically turn into a gun registration program.

    I am now mixed on my feelings of attending this event,
    I still plan on attending, but if O-C is used as a barter piece for a permit-required C-C plan,
    I may become very vocalabout my disdain for loweringthe protected right of O-Cin this state to a privelgae one must ask permission to practice.

    Let me assure you that I agree with you; and I wouldn’t sell out OC for CC.

    I’m a little disappointed that there has been this much banter, without someone contacting me and asking me to justify my “statement” in the news paper, especially when it’s common knowledge that the media seldom get it right.

    What I said was, I’m not a big proponent of OC if CC is an option. And those reasons I don’t care to air on a public forum.

    The primary objective of this event is, as my wife stated in the T.V. interview, is to educate the general public as well as our elected officials of the law. I have printed in poster size (24 x 36) copies of the laws and the Memo from the A.G. to be displayed.

    I have also printed a poster size (24 x 36) copy of the petition for changing the vehicle and school zone restrictions along with the URL on the sign saying sign the petition.

    I’m not sure how we got to this juncture, but I really am a friend; not a foe.

    That said, I hope you still you will attend.
    If you fail to:
    Know your rights;
    Exercise your Liberty;
    and Teach Freedom;
    You are sure to lose it all.

    Carry on; Carry Always

    WCI Founders Club Member
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    bump


    sorry I was trying to bump this to the top of the Wisconsin section.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellsworth, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    My wife and I will be there Sunday for a bit and then I think a stop at the Hudson Rod and Gun club to kill some evil paper targets will be in order and maybe try this Trap shooting thing one more time.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    ScottM wrote:
    My wife and I will be there Sunday for a bit and then I think a stop at the Hudson Rod and Gun club to kill some evil paper targets will be in order and maybe try this Trap shooting thing one more time.
    Ya don't shoot traps, man, yer suppose to set them and wait for something to become insnared it em.

    And don't get snookered into going on a clay pigeon hunt either. NO amount of meat tenerizer will make the meat chewable. And it task bad, too.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ellsworth, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    ScottM wrote:
    My wife and I will be there Sunday for a bit and then I think a stop at the Hudson Rod and Gun club to kill some evil paper targets will be in order and maybe try this Trap shooting thing one more time.
    Ya don't shoot traps, man, yer suppose to set them and wait for something to become insnared it em.

    And don't get snookered into going on a clay pigeon hunt either. NO amount of meat tenerizer will make the meat chewable. And it task bad, too.
    Well at least them clay pigeons have more meat on 'em then the Snipe I was hunting the other week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •