• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to forums, interested in open carry, can you help?

kyleplusitunes

imported post

hey there, I am new to the forums and have been interested in open carry for a while now. I am from Lennon, a small town at the border of shiawassee and gennesse counties. my firearm is registered in shiawassee county. however I am interested in carrying in the downtown flint and surrounding area.

I do not have a CPL at this time, does this have any effect on my ability to open carry outside of my vechicle? if anyone from this area could please give me some tips on open carry in shiawassee and Gennessee counties it would be greatly appriciated.

you guys are doing a great job here with the open carry, as I heard about these forums through word of mouth. thanks a million for any information you can provide!

autosurgeon

imported post

Where your registration was turned will have no effect as it is state registration. As for carry outside you vehicle just make sure you know where the pistol free zones are for OC without a CPL and how to properly secure your pistol for transport if you need to take the car anywhere and OC when you get there!

Read WASH RINSE REPEAT and carry a voice recorder and a few flyers ... Oh and a good retention holster!!!! DO NOT USE AN In The Waistband Holster without a CPL!!!

the500kid

imported post

Welcome to MIOC its a great site with lots of good info. First put your location under your screen name. I have no idea why people get all bent out of shape on that one but they do. Next Memorize Wash, Rinse, Repeat and when you are shure you have memorized it memorize it again. I will garuntee you run into more LEO than BG and will need to know how it interact with said LEO on that note get a voice recorder. $35 from wal-mart that way its not your word against theirs. Also if you have to shoot somebody you will not have to come up with a your word aginst theirs.

Firearm registration doesn't matter as long as the guns registered in MI which it is. I'm not shure how Flint is I can't recall any problems but someone else can probably speak to that better.

You can NOT open carry in a vehicle with out a CPL you will have to unload it and store accourding to the MI State Police rules. Other than that open carrying on foot you should be fine don't go into any pistol free zones. Places that sell liquour are the big ones that come to mind.

Other than that have fun read the web site more and enjoy open carry.

kyleplusitunes wrote:
hey there, I am new to the forums and have been interested in open carry for a while now. I am from Lennon, a small town at the border of shiawassee and gennesse counties. my firearm is registered in shiawassee county. however I am interested in carrying in the downtown flint and surrounding area.

I do not have a CPL at this time, does this have any effect on my ability to open carry outside of my vechicle? if anyone from this area could please give me some tips on open carry in shiawassee and Gennessee counties it would be greatly appriciated.

you guys are doing a great job here with the open carry, as I heard about these forums through word of mouth. thanks a million for any information you can provide!

DanM

imported post

the500kid wrote:
You can NOT open carry in a vehicle with out a CPL you will have to unload it and store accourding to the MI State Police rules.
Also, while you are transporting your firearm in the proper manner in a vehicle, if you are stopped be aware of the following types of questions and the proper answer you should respond with:

Question: "Do you have weapons in the car?" Answer: "I do not wish to discuss the contents of my car. Am I free to go?"

Question: "Where are you coming from?/Where are you going to?" Answer: "I do not wish to discuss my itinerary. Am I free to go?"

T Vance

imported post

DanM wrote:
Also, while you are transporting your firearm in the proper manner in a vehicle, if you are stopped be aware of the following types of questions and the proper answer you should respond with:

Question: "Do you have weapons in the car?" Answer: "I do not wish to discuss the contents of my car. Am I free to go?"

Question: "Where are you coming from?/Where are you going to?" Answer: "I do not wish to discuss my itinerary. Am I free to go?"

+1000!

Remember when an LEO is asking you questions, even if they are being polite, they are investigating you and possibly looking for a crime to charge you with. Do not incriminate yourself by giving them answers to their questions!