• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting conversation, shiawassee gun clerk

kyleplusitunes

imported post

so being new to the forums and very interested in open carry, I decided to do some investigative journalism (overly cautious) I called the shiawassee courthouse this morning and spoke to the [very cute] woman who does safety checks of handguns, posing as a journalist I asked her the question

"could you clarify the Michigan law that does not prohibit open carry, or is it true it is completely legal to carry a firearm openly in public places except where prohibited by law?"

she seemed shocked, she said "you can't just carry your gun around in the open!"

I ended the call, quite discouraged, so I decided to call the MSP firearms line, where I posed the same question to the lady who answered the phone, she seemed confused and told me I would have to speak with her manager, who promptly and professionally returned my call, and somewhat reluctantly told me that you can indeed carry a firearm openly except where prohibited by law.

I am posting here not because I was second guessing the law, but because I was pretty amazed the woman who registers firearms in shiawasse county 5 days a week is completely unaware of this fundamental right. thoughts?

Michigander

imported post

That's a funny idea, pretending to be a news person. I wouldn't do it, but I like it. :lol:

Anyway, even with all the news coverage and other progress we've made, some PD's have had their heads firmly lodged in the sand, and appear not to have heard about open carrying. It comes as no surprise when a PD acts ignorant, or maybe even really is. That's what the MOC info packages are for, as well as creative ideas like yours.

ghostrider

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
so being new to the forums and very interested in open carry, I decided to do some investigative journalism (overly cautious) I called the shiawassee courthouse this morning and spoke to the [very cute] woman who does safety checks of handguns, posing as a journalist I asked her the question

"could you clarify the Michigan law that does not prohibit open carry, or is it true it is completely legal to carry a firearm openly in public places except where prohibited by law?"

she seemed shocked, she said "you can't just carry your gun around in the open!"

I ended the call, quite discouraged, so I decided to call the MSP firearms line, where I posed the same question to the lady who answered the phone, she seemed confused and told me I would have to speak with her manager, who promptly and professionally returned my call, and somewhat reluctantly told me that you can indeed carry a firearm openly except where prohibited by law.

I am posting here not because I was second guessing the law, but because I was pretty amazed the woman who registers firearms in shiawasse county 5 days a week is completely unaware of this fundamental right. thoughts?
Is she an actual police officer, or just a civil servant?

If' she is just a civil servant, I don't know why she would know that OC is legal, since it's probably not necessary to her job to know it. If she's an officer,... well, lots of officers claim ignorance concerning OC. Some will try to intimidate you into not doing it by saying just about anyting, including "it's illegal", and others will truly be ignorant of the law concerning it.

WARCHILD

imported post

Save your brochure....I have dropped off several copies to the county, state, and city p.d.'s...she was either lying or just didn't want to waste the time on discussion. I have never been approached on public property anywhere in Shi. county. In fact the only interactions I have ever had were initiated by off duty leo's with nothing better to do.

Dansjeep2000

imported post

I too am in Shiawasseecounty and have never had a problem OCing and I do it everywhere I go. Only time anyone says anything is to ask "is that legal" or " glad to see you doing it". The wife and I had dinner at Eddie O'flynns in Owossoabout a week agoand I had a guy leave his table in the middle of his meal walk up to me and ask if I was a LEO or just OC, I told him I was OCing and he thanked me for doing it. He had read the article in the local paper from the MOC event in Owosso so I directed him to this site. I was unsure when I started to OC but I read up until I felt I could deal with a LEO encounter and started to OC. NOw thats how I carry 90% of the time. I should add I do have a CPL and have been carrying for several years .

Decoligny

imported post

Michigander wrote:
That's a funny idea, pretending to be a news person. I wouldn't do it, but I like it. :lol:

Anyway, even with all the news coverage and other progress we've made, some PD's have had their heads firmly lodged in the sand, and appear not to have heard about open carrying. It comes as no surprise when a PD acts ignorant, or maybe even really is. That's what the MOC info packages are for, as well as creative ideas like yours.
Pretending? He just published his news report on a Nationally syndicated forum! He is by all means an independent journalist. :celebrate

Dansjeep2000

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Michigander wrote:

Pretending? He just published his news report on a Nationally syndicated forum! He is by all means an independent journalist. :celebrate
I like how you think..lol