• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

This is suppose to be a highly trained individual. The point is all the training in the world doesn't mean you have common sense.

The fact is these people pushing for training to be a requirement to OC or CCW are clearly looking for profit.

Can training help? Sure, but only if you have common sense in the first place.
This guy didn't have the common sense to keep his finger off the trigger.

He is a DEA Agent! And they are worried about us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

AaronS

imported post

I thought that he handled the gunshot wound to his foot very well. A real pro.

I would never let that fool carry a gun in public again. And to think, WE are barred from goingNEAR a school. That fool was IN a school. Thank God he only shot himself. To bad he was not looking down the tube... Next time I guess...

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
This is suppose to be a highly trained individual. The point is all the training in the world doesn't mean you have common sense.

He is a DEA Agent! And they are worried about us?

You are absolutely correct although "training" is another word for "education" which should be encouraged although voluntary. Training and education will not fix stupid althougha higher level of proficiency is a good thing and will make someone better prepared should they ever have to remove their handgun from its holster to actually use it instead of just walking around displaying it for all to see.

You should be able to find a newer example to prove your point as your single example of stupidity is over 5 years old.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Only in dumbed down America are 'training' and 'education' synonymous.

I see you also enjoy arguing semantics out of context....;)

Whatever your point is, I am certain that you must agree that even "experts" benefit from regular training andongoing education. :cool:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Only in dumbed down America are 'training' and 'education' synonymous.

Read The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt

http://www.amazon.com/deliberate-dumbing-down-america-Chronological/dp/0966707109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250191322&sr=8-1

let me correct that for you; Only in dumbed down America are "intelligence" and "education" synonymous.

Doug and I have gone a few rounds toe to toe with our "keyboard boxing gloves" on a few times aboutmy theory that "Intelligence and education are at opposite ends of the spectrum and should not be confused"
I cannot place where I read the following quote, but I think it makes my point "Many people are educated beyond their own intelligence"
I think it may have been in a "Examiner" article written by our own J. Pierce!

let us use the DEA agent that shot himself in the foot for an example, Chances are he holds a college degree, but he still shot himself in the friggin foot in front of school-aged children while speaking about his big bad "Glock Fohtay"

My point; I have metmany people with college degrees that I consider very unintelligent! I can also cite people that may nothave completedelementary school that are absolute certifiable genuises such as Albert Einstein.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
You should be able to find a newer example to prove your point as your single example of stupidity is over 5 years old.
He is more than likely still an agent and therefore this is still a good example no matter how old.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
He is more than likely still an agent and therefore this is still a good example no matter how old.
+1

Edit: I believe in training and that almost everyone could benefit from some. Whether or not it should be required is something I'm conflicted about so I'll just say this. I require it of myself because if I did not have it I believe I would not be as effective in a self-defense situation as I would be without it. That said I agree that there is no way to train a person to have common sense and a level head. As a favorite comedian of mine once said "You can't fix stupid"

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I do not have a video link to the incident that happened in Minocqua a few years back, But during a lockdown of the local high-school. One of the members of law enforcement that was on scene fired his AR-15 into the floor of the school. He had it on sling, with the rifle on his front, safety off, and a pen in his pocket activated the trigger.

What were they doing with AR-15 rifles in a high-school you ask? Responding to graffiti foundin the girls bathroom.