• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Complete Local OC ban list

cscitney87

imported post

I'm new to the forum and new to gun ownership. I have a compact .45 semi automatic pistol. I have had my head buried in the books for days on the subject and I've searched this forum. I cannot seem to find an easy, simple, intuitive list of local ordinances prohibiting open carry. I seem to know that Denver has a ban. I live in Lakewood and would love to open carry. Can someone point me in the right direction or offer some insight? Thanks a lot I appreciate it ahead of time.

Yooper

imported post

I believe Denver city and county is the only city/ county in the state with a ban on open carry. Since they were the ones that challanged the pre-emption law, they were allowed to keep their ban on open carry, but that ruling only applies in Denver. Everywhere else (unless prohibited by state law) should be good.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The list of places that you cannot open carry is about as simple as the statue that regulates it:
CRS 29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

The only specific exception to that is Denver via the 2004 Meyers decision. Everywhere else must be posted. Obviously private property rules apply just like they would with concealed carry.

cscitney87

imported post

Fair enough. A sign has to be posted at the entrance. Thank you guys I appreciate it. I'm just dumbfounded that I've never seen anybody open carry (and I used to live in Bailey, Co deep in the mountains).

cscitney87

imported post

All right so, outside of Denver specifically, are we aware of any municipalities that ban open carry? Specifically I will be carrying at locations like "Lookout Mountain" in Golden, Red Rocks trails (not the amphitheater but the trails in and out. Open carry being that I do not have my CCW (yet) and need to defend myself and friends against wildlife I encounter in the wilderness ( not that I need to defend my reasons ).

I guess I'm just trying to cover all my tracks here as I know one tiny mistake with open carry and there are huge ramifications.

What specific laws or statutes should I keep copies of in the event that I have a run in with an uninformed officer of the law?

Again thanks a ton I appreciate the input.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are no other municipalities that ban open carry. Technically it would be possible (place a sign at each and every public entrance into their jurisdiction) but logistically its not feasible and no one has tried it. There are a few counties that have restrictions (Jeffco supposedly bans OC in some of their open space parks with signage) but again a wholesale ban is not legal. Just look for the signs and cover up (assuming you have a CCW) if you run into one.

As far as the text of statues I would read this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/23366.html

Good luck and happy OCing!

cscitney87

imported post

I'm excited. Thanks a ton. I do visit Jeffco Open parks from time to time so I will keep a close eye peeled at the entrance I use- If I notice a specific Jeffco park that bans firearms- I will post the location for us all.

Thanks.

(anyone know if Red Rocks or Lookout Mountain have bans?- I read Garden of the Gods is not banned)

cscitney87

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Be careful with the Denver Mountain Parks as well. They are Denver property.

http://www.denvergov.org/MountainParks/tabid/430342/Default.aspx

The above website has the list of parks. Parts or all may be Denver property.
Bergen Peak for example, the park is part of JeffCO open space, Denver Mountain Parks, and U.S. Forest Service land, depending where you are.
That definitely answered my question. Red Rocks and Lookout Mountain are both part of the Denver Mountain Parks. OC is banned in both places. :( Looks like I will need to find a new place to hike in the Denver Metro. There is that really neat aqua-duct trail in Golden along 6th Ave West.....

Thanks Yooper. Ps. I used to live in Michigan (Detroit). I moved to Colorado to get a job- so far so good :)

cscitney87

imported post

An ordinance in Telluride against OC doesn't matter because state preemption supersedes it. They can only ban OC in particular buildings/locations and they have to be properly posted.
Dynamite Rabbit

Joined:Fri Jul 4th, 2008Location:Longmont, COPosts:49Status:OfflinePosted: Fri Jul 24th, 2009 03:12 pmQuoteReplyBecause of the Meyer decision, home rule cities claim that state law doesn't preempt anti-open carry ordinances. I don't know if Telluride is home rule, though.

I have a letter from the City of Longmont (which is a home rule city) claiming that prohibition on open carry in Longmont parks is legal (the ordinance also states that ANY carry, including concealed, is illegal). I'm trying to get them to change the ordinance regarding concealed carry, which they cannot regulate

cscitney87

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
An ordinance in Telluride against OC doesn't matter because state preemption supersedes it. They can only ban OC in particular buildings/locations and they have to be properly posted.
Dynamite Rabbit

Joined:Fri Jul 4th, 2008Location:Longmont, COPosts:49Status:OfflinePosted: Fri Jul 24th, 2009 03:12 pmQuoteReplyBecause of the Meyer decision, home rule cities claim that state law doesn't preempt anti-open carry ordinances. I don't know if Telluride is home rule, though.

I have a letter from the City of Longmont (which is a home rule city) claiming that prohibition on open carry in Longmont parks is legal (the ordinance also states that ANY carry, including concealed, is illegal). I'm trying to get them to change the ordinance regarding concealed carry, which they cannot regulate
With all the information, or disinformation, like that- one cannot open carry without wondering if he/she will find the situation to be just a bit tricky. Comments? Please and thank you.

Yooper

imported post

If you get a chance, take a hike up towards Jones Pass. Located on the road to the Henderson mine, just off of U.S. 40 before you go up Berthoud Pass. I'd drive up the road (4wd recommended) to the first big opening where it flattens out (small river goes under the road) park and then go hiking. It's beautiful up there, and you may even see skiers up there in June. It was my favorite hiking area. Moose, sheep, goats, deer, and mountain lions in the area....so do bring your gun :D

RockyMtnScotsman

cscitney87

imported post

""I have a letter from the City of Longmont (which is a home rule city) claiming that prohibition on open carry in Longmont parks is legal (the ordinance also states that ANY carry, including concealed, is illegal). I'm trying to get them to change the ordinance regarding concealed carry, which they cannot regulate.""

Came out of the thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=28804&forum_id=13&highlight=telluride

Now it's no OC in Denver, Telluride, and Longmont as well? Exactly what I'm trying to do here is a build a thread of combined knowledge of any municipality that is currently banning OC, like Telluride and Denver, etc.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
""
Now it's no OC in Denver, Telluride, and Longmont as well?
I don't have an Official answer on Telluride. It sounds to me like any local ordinance prohibiting it is pre-empted at the state level but that local LEO is enforcing the local ordinance anyway.

It may be a case for the courts but I'm not sure I'm ready to be the test case.

cscitney87

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
""
Now it's no OC in Denver, Telluride, and Longmont as well?
I don't have an Official answer on Telluride. It sounds to me like any local ordinance prohibiting it is pre-empted at the state level but that local LEO is enforcing the local ordinance anyway.

It may be a case for the courts but I'm not sure I'm ready to be the test case.
I hear you on the Telluride business. I'm definitely not in a position to test the waters either. Definitely not. I wish I could just keep a copy of the state constitution with me and be done with it- and the same for the US Constitution. :banghead:

Hopefully we can keep this thread going- I think we can say that with no official word on Telluride, it's better to be safe than sorry and just not OC, seeing as we have had some warnings in that previous thread. Agreed?

cscitney87

imported post

City of Lakewood
Office of the City Attorney
Janet Young
Deputy City Attorney
445 South Allison Parkway Lakewood, CO 80226-3106
(303) 987-7102
August 19, 2009 FAX: (303) 987-7296

Dear Mr. Scitney:
I am writing in response to your recent email in which you inquired regarding the legality of openly carrying firearms within the City of Lakewood. As noted in your email, the open carrying or wearing of a firearm as set forth in Section 9.32.050 of the Lakewood Municipal Code is prohibited in any City park, community center, recreational facility, the Lakewood Civic Center, City trail, or City open space including any City owned, operated, or leased building or property when said City building or City property is posted with a sign at the entrance that informs persons that the open carrying of a firearm is prohibited in such building or area. The exceptions to said prohibition are listed within Section 9.32.050. The Lakewood Municipal Code does not otherwise prohibit the open carrying of firearms within the City limits.
Private property owners or their designees may lawfully prohibit the possession of firearms on their premises. Persons who are the subject of a protection order may be prohibited from carrying a firearm. Additionally, persons convicted of a felony are prohibited from carrying a firearm as are persons convicted of a crime of domestic violence. State law strictly restricts juveniles from possessing a handgun and generally outlaws the possession of a firearm on school grounds.
Citizens typically react with fear and alarm when they encounter a person openly carrying a firearm. Police are frequently called to investigate the circumstances. To avoid unnecessary confrontation, anytime an officer approaches a citizen who is carrying a firearm, the citizen should let the officer know that he is armed, should keep his hands visible at all times, and should fully cooperate with the officer. The citizen should avoid making any movement that could be mistakenly misconstrued as a movement for the gun. The police department encourages citizens who desire to carry a handgun to apply to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office for a concealed handgun permit.
Sincerely,
Janet Young
Deputy City Attorney

[line]I started open carrying today after reading this and printing out a personal copy to carry in my wallet. :)