Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Olympia editorial: Gun owners are "delusional"

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    766

    Post imported post

    http://www.theolympian.com/opinion/story/938346.html

    The manufacturing and sales of firearms has been a booming business since November 2008 when Barack Obama was elected president.

    Based on the numbers of people rushing out to buy guns and rifles, one might think Obama had his sights set on some major piece of gun control legislation.

    But that’s not the case. Health care reform, economic recovery and climate change — these are the types of critical issues of the day that have the attention of the White House and Democratic-controlled Congress.

    The fear of gun owners that their constitutionally protected right to bear arms is under attack appears to be unfounded.

    Then there’s another type of fear that seems to lead to increased gun sales. This one borders on delusional and is rooted in paranoia. It goes like this: the economy will unravel, creating a mass of angry unemployed people who will revolt against the government, creating violent unrest and lawlessness that underfunded law enforcement agencies won’t be able to control. Citizens will have to be armed to protect themselves.

    Come on. Everybody should take a deep breath and calm down before they add to their arsenal needlessly by stocking up on weapons that have no useful purpose.

    The Second Amendment of the Constitution is not under assault. The country isn’t spiraling out of control. Peaceful, law-abiding citizens aren’t about to lose their right to bear arms.

    One can’t help but wonder, how many of the 7 million-plus firearms purchased from licensed gun dealers so far this year were purchased based on politics and fear?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    766

    Post imported post

    Oh, look, there is a city park about two blockssouth of The Olympian. The name of the park is Olympia City Park.

    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ol...thel+Street+Ne

    Might be a nice place for a barbecue.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410

    Post imported post

    I like BBQs. Oh, don't forget to invite the reporter from the Olympian.

  4. #4
    Regular Member kwiebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    One can't help but wonder, how many of the millions of newspaper subscriptions canceled in the last few years were canceled due to the news media's total abandonment of objective journalism and laughable credibility.

  5. #5
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    44Brent wrote:
    Oh, look, there is a city park about two blockssouth of The Olympian. The name of the park is Olympia City Park.
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ol...thel+Street+Ne
    Might be a nice place for a barbecue.
    How about a Gun Show & Shine ???

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    I wonder who's the delusional one?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    kwiebe wrote:
    One can't help but wonder, how many of the millions of newspaper subscriptions canceled in the last few years were canceled due to the news media's total abandonment of objective journalism and laughable credibility.
    Ha! You make it sound as though news journalism was once remotely objective.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lynden, Washington, USA
    Posts
    73

    Post imported post

    Forget preparing for the revolt against the government and collapse of civilization, I'm getting ready for the zombie apocalypse!

  9. #9
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    ...but these nazi zombies are so persistent...and don't stop coming at you
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  10. #10
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    I know it isn't Washington, but California will soon be releasing 40,000 prisoners. Tell me that 40,000 more criminals on the streets doesn't add to the need to be able to defend yourself.

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    I know it isn't Washington, but California will soon be releasing 40,000 prisoners. Tell me that 40,000 more criminals on the streets doesn't add to the need to be able to defend yourself.
    40,000 zombies aim for the head....no just kidding.

    I have heard about this but don't know much about it. What kind of prisoners being released, if it is par for course of governments it wont be low risk folks.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bothell, Washington, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    I would recommend that if you do not want a similar situation (To California) in this state, you call your Representatives and let them know that closing prison facilities is not a good cost saver. They will soon be closing down nearly 1,000 beds in this state. It seems to me this state would be better off with fewer toy trains and a little more attention to our cash flow. BTW 1,000 may not sound like a lot but when you look at the per capita rate it is very similar to the California mess.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:
    I know it isn't Washington, but California will soon be releasing 40,000 prisoners. Tell me that 40,000 more criminals on the streets doesn't add to the need to be able to defend yourself.
    40,000 zombies aim for the head....no just kidding.

    I have heard about this but don't know much about it. What kind of prisoners being released, if it is par for course of governments it wont be low risk folks.
    Nice "non-violent" and "low risk" offenders, like Charles Samuels, who just recently kidnapped and murdered 17 year old Lily Burk.

    Each criminal in the California Penal System is ranked according to their last offense. So if a criminal has spent 15 years for rape, then spent another 10 years for assualt with a deadly weapon, and is now in prison on a 5 year sentence for felony embezzlement, then that prisoner is listed asa "non-violent" offender and "low-risk" and will be released.



  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    The editorial didn't call gun owners delusional, it called a certain group of gun owners delusional. And I think some are. The rabid, ultra right wing nutters who crawl out of their bunkers and the woods every time there is a recession or a democrat in office. The same creeps who won't do a thing to better the world around them, but rush out like chicken little screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" and then buy up all the guns, ammo and primers they can get their hands on, and then scream about how there are no guns, ammo or primers to be had, which in turn creates a self serving hysteria and panic.

    This editorial came right on the heels of another article (which I noticed nobody bothered linking too, perhaps because it doesn't fit the crazy people's agenda) about gun sales. It was written by the Olympian's outdoors reporter and was a nice, well balanced and friendly article on Cascade Arms, and Oly Arms tied in with the increase in gun sales. That article ran on the front page of The News Tribune and The Olympian. I'll let the selective readers here find it themselves.

    I have read The Olympian for three years, and have never seen a single anti gun editorial or article printed there. I have seen two pro gun editorials, and have had a couple of pro gun letters printed in it, a nice article in the business page about Oly Arms, and the recent article about Cascade Arms I just mentioned. Plus every deer season, the sports page runs plenty of good hunting articles.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Gun owners are delusional....we all think our weapons of choice are the best.....lol
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    44Brent wrote:
    Come on. Everybody should take a deep breath and calm down before they add to their arsenal needlessly by stocking up on weapons that have no useful purpose.

    The Second Amendment of the Constitution is not under assault. The country isn’t spiraling out of control. Peaceful, law-abiding citizens aren’t about to lose their right to bear arms.
    The writer, along with many other people are delusional. This country is headed for a collapse unlike any we've seen before.

    The collapse however could very well be being orchestrated. Very quietly, a little more than a week ago, the Federal Reserve monetized 47% of our new debt. Anyone who has studied economics and has a firm grasp on the laws of economics understands that you cannot monetize debt without causing inflation. What's more, as the economy contracts and the debt ceiling is increased along with our debt, we are on a collision course for hyperinflation ala the Wiemar Republic or Zimbabwe. Of course, those in Washington arrogantly believe they can reverse the inflation by taking currency out of the market.... however, that is hard when its just a couple of billion... the money being printed and flooded into the market is more than 10 times that amount.

    Like most people who are yelling the loudest for us to shut up, or calling us conspiracy theorists, this writer has no clue what he is talking about.

    My suggestion to everyone here is to ignore these people and keep preparing. Also, get silver, gold, palladium and platinum. Gold and platinum are the best as you can carry your whole fortune with you. But some silver will be nice for small change exchanges. People... our money will be nearly worthless in 18 to 36 months (that is unless they stop all spending and increase taxes by around 25% to start paying down all of our debt). However, stopping spending and increasing taxes is political suicide or so they claim... so the doomsday prediction for this economy is on track to come 100% true. What do you think people will do when an apple costs $100 dollars? Government will instate price controls and the whole problem will spiral out of control.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  17. #17
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Yes, gold, silver, monetary collapse, blah, blah, blah. Been hearing that one for well over a decade now. Usually on the odd times I've tuned in Coast to Coast AM, or on the sleazier internet websites that cater to the paranoid crowd. Are you sure you just aren't copying/pasting stuff from old usenet posts about Y2K? misc.activism.militia was always good for that sort of thing. alt.survival too.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    Hey if someone says they heard it from Alex Jones or saw it on his website they're on auto ignore. To be honest there are a lot of conspiracy people on both sides of the fence, and I don't give a damn what the masons or ilumanati are doing.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    FunkTrooper wrote:
    Hey if someone says they heard it from Alex Jones or saw it on his website they're on auto ignore. To be honest there are a lot of conspiracy people on both sides of the fence, and I don't give a damn what the masons or ilumanati are doing.
    Who's Alex Jones?

    I have read everything from Milton Friedman I could. I listen to and read the works by economists who called the current situation almost to the amount that it would end up costing us... and I've been an avid student of the Austrian school of Economics.

    I've read "Principles of Economics" by Carl Menger, "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt and "Individualism and Economic Order" by Friedrich Hayek and like anyone who pays attention to the economic history of the world, I understand just what the cause and effect relationship is with the monetary policies of the arrogant bankers and politicians of the world... every time they think they can beat the laws of economics... they get their asses kicked.

    The name Alex Jones sounds familiar... what did he write? Is he an economist? Or is he a crackpot like Naomi Wolf who thinks they know economics and get a rabid following of like minded morons who spout inaccuracies and lies about what causes economic downturns and how capitalism is evil and so on and so forth.

    I’m not relying on news agencies, cable or radio talk shows… I’m educating myself with facts and solid theory. The Keynesians have been proved wrong, yet their economic philosophies dominate, not by fact and truth, but by demagoguery and obfuscation.

    There are plenty of real economists who know what is coming. People who were right about this economic catastrophe and predicted it. I won’t listen to those who were caught off guard by this latest economic downturn because they areidiots.

    So insult me if you want... I don't care... and don't prepare for what is coming... that's going to be your problem, not mine.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  20. #20
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Right. A rabid far right extremist who doesn't know who Alex Jones and infowars.com is like a liberal who doesn't read the daily kos. Good one there though.

    Well, since you are clearly an expert in economics now, and know so much better than mere mortals, you can keep clinging to the "Well when the collapse comes..." line like your type have been for decades. Good job on the googled book list though. You keep that next to your copy of The Turner Diaries?

  21. #21
    Regular Member Machoduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Covington, WA & Keenesburg, CO
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    Don't be too upset; it's common practice to shoot down the message because of who the messenger is. Or, for Funk Trooper's benefit: what if Alex Jones agreed with Funk Trooper on something? :P (I say this because FT has almost always had great posts.)

    My degree is in Economics and I can say that none of my college courses came close to what Ayn Rand said in Atlas Shrugged in accurately describing what money is. She also wrote about the creation of wealth and the morality of production in far better terms. There's a reason for that. (IMHO)

    The Hyeks, Friedmans, Rands, and Bastiats of the world are seeking truth and an explanation of it. The leftists are seeking to follow the Unwritten Dress Code for the Mind that is political correctness. When you read the works of the former they seek to explain what they believe. In attempting to clarify they leave themselves open to attack, which is the way of the honest intellectual. The lefties seek to obfuscate. How does one intellectually attack what he doesn't understand? If he says it doesn't make sense, they say he can't grasp concepts. As if grasping the mental Mobius ring that is Liberalism is an achievement!

    MD

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Washington, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    Well, delusional is only one step from mentally ill, right? Which would allow the Government to regulate whether I can own a gun under Heller.

    What gets me is the tone. What the hell does this reporter care what I have in my safe, gun cabinet or whatever.

    How can it possibility matter to this guy if I have 2 boxes of ammo or 20? In fact, he should be saying, "Well done Mr. So and So, thank you for being careful and training yourself to be so good with firearms."

    And as a matter of fact, Obama did mention gun legislation, but Nancy Pelosi nixed that as being "politically inexpedient". That doesn't mean that the Styrofoam Jesus won't go for it next week, or pass something via executive order.

    Want a historical example?

    Order 6102 dated April 3, 1933 ordered the seizure of all gold in the country, bullion, coins, etc. It was undertaken by Roosevelt and "made law". Utterly Unconstitutional, as the Constitution specifically mentions gold and only allows the "coining of money" it should have broken his administration, crashed the Government.

    Tell me, what would stop Obama (Other than mass noncompliance) from Ordering the seizure of all "Weapons of War" capable of holding, say 10 rounds or more in a magazine? Currently, if your rifle accidentally "doubles" you may be looking at jail time as it is.

    The seizure of Gold, a fixed money since the dawn of Civilization, with the unconstitutional replacement of paper, was no less unthinkable.

    Of course that type of thinking is "Delusional".

    May I also point out that the penalty for hording gold was 10 years or $10,000, a huge sum in 1933 depression (Equivalent to 500 ounces of gold @$900 per ounce or $450,000 in today's dollars). It also is the penalty for breaking the 1934 Gun Control Act.


  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    132

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Who's Alex Jones?

    I have read everything from Milton Friedman I could. I listen to and read the works by economists who called the current situation almost to the amount that it would end up costing us... and I've been an avid student of the Austrian school of Economics.

    I've read "Principles of Economics" by Carl Menger, "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt and "Individualism and Economic Order" by Friedrich Hayek and like anyone who pays attention to the economic history of the world, I understand just what the cause and effect relationship is with the monetary policies of the arrogant bankers and politicians of the world... every time they think they can beat the laws of economics... they get their asses kicked.

    The name Alex Jones sounds familiar... what did he write? Is he an economist? Or is he a crackpot like Naomi Wolf who thinks they know economics and get a rabid following of like minded morons who spout inaccuracies and lies about what causes economic downturns and how capitalism is evil and so on and so forth.

    I’m not relying on news agencies, cable or radio talk shows… I’m educating myself with facts and solid theory. The Keynesians have been proved wrong, yet their economic philosophies dominate, not by fact and truth, but by demagoguery and obfuscation.

    There are plenty of real economists who know what is coming. People who were right about this economic catastrophe and predicted it. I won’t listen to those who were caught off guard by this latest economic downturn because they areidiots.

    So insult me if you want... I don't care... and don't prepare for what is coming... that's going to be your problem, not mine.
    You sir have made me want to prepare one thing... my vocabulary the next time I read one of your posts... I had to look these words up. and to ease everyone's fears yes they are in fact words.

    Alex Trebek doesn't use these words. I am impressed I dont believe a man in a bunker in the woods would use such words as others have stated.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    736

    Post imported post

    brianstone1985 wrote:
    You sir have made me want to prepare one thing... my vocabulary the next time I read one of your posts... I had to look these words up. and to ease everyone's fears yes they are in fact words.

    Alex Trebek doesn't use these words. I am impressed I dont believe a man in a bunker in the woods would use such words as others have stated.
    Anyone who doesn't understand Keynesian and Austrian economics... probably shouldn't be talking economics.

    That includes all the Keynesian economists.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Right. A rabid far right extremist who doesn't know who Alex Jones and infowars.com is like a liberal who doesn't read the daily kos. Good one there though.

    Well, since you are clearly an expert in economics now, and know so much better than mere mortals, you can keep clinging to the "Well when the collapse comes..." line like your type have been for decades. Good job on the googled book list though. You keep that next to your copy of The Turner Diaries?
    You are a typical progressive who can't help but show his true colors every time someone smarter than you makes you feel stupid.

    I know of the Turner Diaries, but have never read them... I looked up Alex Jones and I now know who he is... and I have never listened to him before.

    I'm not a truther, or a birther or a deather or any other of these postfix -ers that you liberals want to generalize everyone who disagrees with you as.

    I am a concerned citizen who sees an economicdisaster coming of epic proportions. Anyone with a brain can see what is coming.

    SV.... go to hell.... and stop responding to my posts as the only thing you ever do is troll.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •