• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olympia editorial: Gun owners are "delusional"

44Brent

imported post

http://www.theolympian.com/opinion/story/938346.html

The manufacturing and sales of firearms has been a booming business since November 2008 when Barack Obama was elected president.

Based on the numbers of people rushing out to buy guns and rifles, one might think Obama had his sights set on some major piece of gun control legislation.

But that’s not the case. Health care reform, economic recovery and climate change — these are the types of critical issues of the day that have the attention of the White House and Democratic-controlled Congress.

The fear of gun owners that their constitutionally protected right to bear arms is under attack appears to be unfounded.

Then there’s another type of fear that seems to lead to increased gun sales. This one borders on delusional and is rooted in paranoia. It goes like this: the economy will unravel, creating a mass of angry unemployed people who will revolt against the government, creating violent unrest and lawlessness that underfunded law enforcement agencies won’t be able to control. Citizens will have to be armed to protect themselves.

Come on. Everybody should take a deep breath and calm down before they add to their arsenal needlessly by stocking up on weapons that have no useful purpose.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution is not under assault. The country isn’t spiraling out of control. Peaceful, law-abiding citizens aren’t about to lose their right to bear arms.

One can’t help but wonder, how many of the 7 million-plus firearms purchased from licensed gun dealers so far this year were purchased based on politics and fear?

kwiebe

imported post

One can't help but wonder, how many of the millions of newspaper subscriptions canceled in the last few years were canceled due to the news media's total abandonment of objective journalism and laughable credibility.

FunkTrooper

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
One can't help but wonder, how many of the millions of newspaper subscriptions canceled in the last few years were canceled due to the news media's total abandonment of objective journalism and laughable credibility.
Ha! You make it sound as though news journalism was once remotely objective.

Decoligny

imported post

I know it isn't Washington, but California will soon be releasing 40,000 prisoners. Tell me that 40,000 more criminals on the streets doesn't add to the need to be able to defend yourself.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I know it isn't Washington, but California will soon be releasing 40,000 prisoners. Tell me that 40,000 more criminals on the streets doesn't add to the need to be able to defend yourself.
40,000 zombies aim for the head....no just kidding.

I have heard about this but don't know much about it. What kind of prisoners being released, if it is par for course of governments it wont be low risk folks.

G_Lyons

imported post

I would recommend that if you do not want a similar situation (To California) in this state, you call your Representatives and let them know that closing prison facilities is not a good cost saver. They will soon be closing down nearly 1,000 beds in this state. It seems to me this state would be better off with fewer toy trains and a little more attention to our cash flow. BTW 1,000 may not sound like a lot but when you look at the per capita rate it is very similar to the California mess.

Decoligny

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
40,000 zombies aim for the head....no just kidding.

I have heard about this but don't know much about it. What kind of prisoners being released, if it is par for course of governments it wont be low risk folks.

Nice "non-violent" and "low risk" offenders, like Charles Samuels, who just recently kidnapped and murdered 17 year old Lily Burk.

Each criminal in the California Penal System is ranked according to their last offense. So if a criminal has spent 15 years for rape, then spent another 10 years for assualt with a deadly weapon, and is now in prison on a 5 year sentence for felony embezzlement, then that prisoner is listed asa "non-violent" offender and "low-risk" and will be released.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The editorial didn't call gun owners delusional, it called a certain group of gun owners delusional. And I think some are. The rabid, ultra right wing nutters who crawl out of their bunkers and the woods every time there is a recession or a democrat in office. The same creeps who won't do a thing to better the world around them, but rush out like chicken little screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" and then buy up all the guns, ammo and primers they can get their hands on, and then scream about how there are no guns, ammo or primers to be had, which in turn creates a self serving hysteria and panic.

This editorial came right on the heels of another article (which I noticed nobody bothered linking too, perhaps because it doesn't fit the crazy people's agenda) about gun sales. It was written by the Olympian's outdoors reporter and was a nice, well balanced and friendly article on Cascade Arms, and Oly Arms tied in with the increase in gun sales. That article ran on the front page of The News Tribune and The Olympian. I'll let the selective readers here find it themselves.

I have read The Olympian for three years, and have never seen a single anti gun editorial or article printed there. I have seen two pro gun editorials, and have had a couple of pro gun letters printed in it, a nice article in the business page about Oly Arms, and the recent article about Cascade Arms I just mentioned. Plus every deer season, the sports page runs plenty of good hunting articles.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

44Brent wrote:
Come on. Everybody should take a deep breath and calm down before they add to their arsenal needlessly by stocking up on weapons that have no useful purpose.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution is not under assault. The country isn’t spiraling out of control. Peaceful, law-abiding citizens aren’t about to lose their right to bear arms.
The writer, along with many other people are delusional. This country is headed for a collapse unlike any we've seen before.

The collapse however could very well be being orchestrated. Very quietly, a little more than a week ago, the Federal Reserve monetized 47% of our new debt. Anyone who has studied economics and has a firm grasp on the laws of economics understands that you cannot monetize debt without causing inflation. What's more, as the economy contracts and the debt ceiling is increased along with our debt, we are on a collision course for hyperinflation ala the Wiemar Republic or Zimbabwe. Of course, those in Washington arrogantly believe they can reverse the inflation by taking currency out of the market.... however, that is hard when its just a couple of billion... the money being printed and flooded into the market is more than 10 times that amount.

Like most people who are yelling the loudest for us to shut up, or calling us conspiracy theorists, this writer has no clue what he is talking about.

My suggestion to everyone here is to ignore these people and keep preparing. Also, get silver, gold, palladium and platinum. Gold and platinum are the best as you can carry your whole fortune with you. But some silver will be nice for small change exchanges. People... our money will be nearly worthless in 18 to 36 months (that is unless they stop all spending and increase taxes by around 25% to start paying down all of our debt). However, stopping spending and increasing taxes is political suicide or so they claim... so the doomsday prediction for this economy is on track to come 100% true. What do you think people will do when an apple costs $100 dollars? Government will instate price controls and the whole problem will spiral out of control.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, gold, silver, monetary collapse, blah, blah, blah. Been hearing that one for well over a decade now. Usually on the odd times I've tuned in Coast to Coast AM, or on the sleazier internet websites that cater to the paranoid crowd. Are you sure you just aren't copying/pasting stuff from old usenet posts about Y2K? misc.activism.militia was always good for that sort of thing. alt.survival too.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Hey if someone says they heard it from Alex Jones or saw it on his website they're on auto ignore. To be honest there are a lot of conspiracy people on both sides of the fence, and I don't give a damn what the masons or ilumanati are doing.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Hey if someone says they heard it from Alex Jones or saw it on his website they're on auto ignore. To be honest there are a lot of conspiracy people on both sides of the fence, and I don't give a damn what the masons or ilumanati are doing.
Who's Alex Jones?

I have read everything from Milton Friedman I could. I listen to and read the works by economists who called the current situation almost to the amount that it would end up costing us... and I've been an avid student of the Austrian school of Economics.

I've read "Principles of Economics" by Carl Menger, "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt and "Individualism and Economic Order" by Friedrich Hayek and like anyone who pays attention to the economic history of the world, I understand just what the cause and effect relationship is with the monetary policies of the arrogant bankers and politicians of the world... every time they think they can beat the laws of economics... they get their asses kicked.

The name Alex Jones sounds familiar... what did he write? Is he an economist? Or is he a crackpot like Naomi Wolf who thinks they know economics and get a rabid following of like minded morons who spout inaccuracies and lies about what causes economic downturns and how capitalism is evil and so on and so forth.

I’m not relying on news agencies, cable or radio talk shows… I’m educating myself with facts and solid theory. The Keynesians have been proved wrong, yet their economic philosophies dominate, not by fact and truth, but by demagoguery and obfuscation.

There are plenty of real economists who know what is coming. People who were right about this economic catastrophe and predicted it. I won’t listen to those who were caught off guard by this latest economic downturn because they areidiots.

So insult me if you want... I don't care... and don't prepare for what is coming... that's going to be your problem, not mine.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Right. A rabid far right extremist who doesn't know who Alex Jones and infowars.com is like a liberal who doesn't read the daily kos. Good one there though.

Well, since you are clearly an expert in economics now, and know so much better than mere mortals, you can keep clinging to the "Well when the collapse comes..." line like your type have been for decades. Good job on the googled book list though. You keep that next to your copy of The Turner Diaries?