• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olympia editorial: Gun owners are "delusional"

Machoduck

imported post

Don't be too upset; it's common practice to shoot down the message because of who the messenger is. Or, for Funk Trooper's benefit: what if Alex Jones agreed with Funk Trooper on something? :p (I say this because FT has almost always had great posts.)

My degree is in Economics and I can say that none of my college courses came close to what Ayn Rand said in Atlas Shrugged in accurately describing what money is. She also wrote about the creation of wealth and the morality of production in far better terms. There's a reason for that. (IMHO)

The Hyeks, Friedmans, Rands, and Bastiats of the world are seeking truth and an explanation of it. The leftists are seeking to follow the Unwritten Dress Code for the Mind that is political correctness. When you read the works of the former they seek to explain what they believe. In attempting to clarify they leave themselves open to attack, which is the way of the honest intellectual. The lefties seek to obfuscate. How does one intellectually attack what he doesn't understand? If he says it doesn't make sense, they say he can't grasp concepts. As if grasping the mental Mobius ring that is Liberalism is an achievement!

MD

Wheelgunner

imported post

Well, delusional is only one step from mentally ill, right? Which would allow the Government to regulate whether I can own a gun under Heller.

What gets me is the tone. What the hell does this reporter care what I have in my safe, gun cabinet or whatever.

How can it possibility matter to this guy if I have 2 boxes of ammo or 20? In fact, he should be saying, "Well done Mr. So and So, thank you for being careful and training yourself to be so good with firearms."

And as a matter of fact, Obama did mention gun legislation, but Nancy Pelosi nixed that as being "politically inexpedient". That doesn't mean that the Styrofoam Jesus won't go for it next week, or pass something via executive order.

Want a historical example?

Order 6102 dated April 3, 1933 ordered the seizure of all gold in the country, bullion, coins, etc. It was undertaken by Roosevelt and "made law". Utterly Unconstitutional, as the Constitution specifically mentions gold and only allows the "coining of money" it should have broken his administration, crashed the Government.

Tell me, what would stop Obama (Other than mass noncompliance) from Ordering the seizure of all "Weapons of War" capable of holding, say 10 rounds or more in a magazine? Currently, if your rifle accidentally "doubles" you may be looking at jail time as it is.

The seizure of Gold, a fixed money since the dawn of Civilization, with the unconstitutional replacement of paper, was no less unthinkable.

Of course that type of thinking is "Delusional".

May I also point out that the penalty for hording gold was 10 years or $10,000, a huge sum in 1933 depression (Equivalent to 500 ounces of gold @$900 per ounce or $450,000 in today's dollars). It also is the penalty for breaking the 1934 Gun Control Act.

brianstone1985

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Who's Alex Jones?

I have read everything from Milton Friedman I could. I listen to and read the works by economists who called the current situation almost to the amount that it would end up costing us... and I've been an avid student of the Austrian school of Economics.

I've read "Principles of Economics" by Carl Menger, "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt and "Individualism and Economic Order" by Friedrich Hayek and like anyone who pays attention to the economic history of the world, I understand just what the cause and effect relationship is with the monetary policies of the arrogant bankers and politicians of the world... every time they think they can beat the laws of economics... they get their asses kicked.

The name Alex Jones sounds familiar... what did he write? Is he an economist? Or is he a crackpot like Naomi Wolf who thinks they know economics and get a rabid following of like minded morons who spout inaccuracies and lies about what causes economic downturns and how capitalism is evil and so on and so forth.

I’m not relying on news agencies, cable or radio talk shows… I’m educating myself with facts and solid theory. The Keynesians have been proved wrong, yet their economic philosophies dominate, not by fact and truth, but by demagoguery and obfuscation.

There are plenty of real economists who know what is coming. People who were right about this economic catastrophe and predicted it. I won’t listen to those who were caught off guard by this latest economic downturn because they areidiots.

So insult me if you want... I don't care... and don't prepare for what is coming... that's going to be your problem, not mine.
You sir have made me want to prepare one thing... my vocabulary the next time I read one of your posts... I had to look these words up. and to ease everyone's fears yes they are in fact words.

Alex Trebek doesn't use these words. I am impressed I dont believe a man in a bunker in the woods would use such words as others have stated.:lol:

grishnav

imported post

brianstone1985 wrote:
You sir have made me want to prepare one thing... my vocabulary the next time I read one of your posts... I had to look these words up. and to ease everyone's fears yes they are in fact words.

Alex Trebek doesn't use these words. I am impressed I dont believe a man in a bunker in the woods would use such words as others have stated.:lol:
Anyone who doesn't understand Keynesian and Austrian economics... probably shouldn't be talking economics.

That includes all the Keynesian economists.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Right. A rabid far right extremist who doesn't know who Alex Jones and infowars.com is like a liberal who doesn't read the daily kos. Good one there though.

Well, since you are clearly an expert in economics now, and know so much better than mere mortals, you can keep clinging to the "Well when the collapse comes..." line like your type have been for decades. Good job on the googled book list though. You keep that next to your copy of The Turner Diaries?
You are a typical progressive who can't help but show his true colors every time someone smarter than you makes you feel stupid.

I know of the Turner Diaries, but have never read them... I looked up Alex Jones and I now know who he is... and I have never listened to him before.

I'm not a truther, or a birther or a deather or any other of these postfix -ers that you liberals want to generalize everyone who disagrees with you as.

I am a concerned citizen who sees an economicdisaster coming of epic proportions. Anyone with a brain can see what is coming.

SV.... go to hell.... and stop responding to my posts as the only thing you ever do is troll.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Liberal eh? Yeah, that's the stock line for anyone who doesn't drink your flavor of koolaid. One either is in lockstep unison with your crazed worldview, or is a liberal. I just can't stomach the extremists like you... 3000 posts, and an FAQ later and I'm the troll. Got it. You claim to not be one of the right wing kooks, but you sure as hell pal around with them. You probably would fit in better with the racists and wackjobs on the AK Files.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

grishnav wrote:
brianstone1985 wrote:

Anyone who doesn't understand Keynesian and Austrian economics... probably shouldn't be talking economics.

That includes almost every talking head economist on TV and Radio who has ever said that they were "Shocked" or "Surprised" at some economic event like "Larger than predicted job losses" or "lower tax receipts" or something nutty like that....

Have you read all the articles that claim people were shocked that tax receipts are the lowest they've been since the 1930s? Who would be shocked that tax receipts are down when business income is plummeting?

One person who got it right was Peter Schiff. Another was Ron Paul... and yet, those of us who espouse the same beliefs are called extremists and nutjobs...

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Liberal eh? Yeah, that's the stock line for anyone who doesn't drink your flavor of koolaid. One either is in lockstep unison with your crazed worldview, or is a liberal. I just can't stomach the extremists like you... 3000 posts, and an FAQ later and I'm the troll. Got it. You claim to not be one of the right wing kooks, but you sure as hell pal around with them. You probably would fit in better with the racists and wackjobs on the AK Files.
Seriously dude... go away... just stop having a conversation with me... you keep pushing and acting like a dick.... just lay off. I have not attacked you... but you feel like you have some duty or right to personally attack me... just stop.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Oh I like Ron Paul. I just don't like you. It was your wanna be mulisha ideals that decided it for me.
Fine, dislike me if you want... I don't care... but stop attacking me in every thread... that is trolling. And if you notice... I don't usually attack you back... I just ask you to stop.

When you see my post... don't read it. Don't respond to me and just ignore me. Because the attacks are getting tiresome.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Don't be too upset; it's common practice to shoot down the message because of who the messenger is. Or, for Funk Trooper's benefit: what if Alex Jones agreed with Funk Trooper on something? :p (I say this because FT has almost always had great posts.)

My degree is in Economics and I can say that none of my college courses came close to what Ayn Rand said in Atlas Shrugged in accurately describing what money is. She also wrote about the creation of wealth and the morality of production in far better terms. There's a reason for that. (IMHO)

The Hyeks, Friedmans, Rands, and Bastiats of the world are seeking truth and an explanation of it. The leftists are seeking to follow the Unwritten Dress Code for the Mind that is political correctness. When you read the works of the former they seek to explain what they believe. In attempting to clarify they leave themselves open to attack, which is the way of the honest intellectual. The lefties seek to obfuscate. How does one intellectually attack what he doesn't understand? If he says it doesn't make sense, they say he can't grasp concepts. As if grasping the mental Mobius ring that is Liberalism is an achievement!

MD
I can honestly say that yes some of the things Alex Jones says I do agree with, however I can't stand when people go on and on about things they have no proof or evidence for, like saying the government was behind the attacks on 9/11/01. Most all of the people who reference Alex Jones follow it up with how the government will end the world.

I'm sorry if you took offense Washintonian_For_Liberty I wasn't trying to insult you. I think you and SV just need to cool off for a bit, your bickering between each other really degrades this forum and it's message.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I'm sorry if you took offense Washintonian_For_Liberty I wasn't trying to insult you. I think you and SV just need to cool off for a bit, your bickering between each other really degrades this forum and it's message.
My wording was clumsy, sorry... the insulting language was from SV... not you, I was just being lazy and not taking a quote from him in my overall response.

KBCraig

imported post

grishnav wrote:

Especially the Keynesians!

SpokaneIrish

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
44Brent wrote:
Come on. Everybody should take a deep breath and calm down before they add to their arsenal needlessly by stocking up on weapons that have no useful purpose.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution is not under assault. The country isn’t spiraling out of control. Peaceful, law-abiding citizens aren’t about to lose their right to bear arms.
The writer, along with many other people are delusional. This country is headed for a collapse unlike any we've seen before.

The collapse however could very well be being orchestrated. Very quietly, a little more than a week ago, the Federal Reserve monetized 47% of our new debt. Anyone who has studied economics and has a firm grasp on the laws of economics understands that you cannot monetize debt without causing inflation. What's more, as the economy contracts and the debt ceiling is increased along with our debt, we are on a collision course for hyperinflation ala the Wiemar Republic or Zimbabwe. Of course, those in Washington arrogantly believe they can reverse the inflation by taking currency out of the market.... however, that is hard when its just a couple of billion... the money being printed and flooded into the market is more than 10 times that amount.

Like most people who are yelling the loudest for us to shut up, or calling us conspiracy theorists, this writer has no clue what he is talking about.

My suggestion to everyone here is to ignore these people and keep preparing. Also, get silver, gold, palladium and platinum. Gold and platinum are the best as you can carry your whole fortune with you. But some silver will be nice for small change exchanges. People... our money will be nearly worthless in 18 to 36 months (that is unless they stop all spending and increase taxes by around 25% to start paying down all of our debt). However, stopping spending and increasing taxes is political suicide or so they claim... so the doomsday prediction for this economy is on track to come 100% true. What do you think people will do when an apple costs $100 dollars? Government will instate price controls and the whole problem will spiral out of control.
This type of thinking militates not for the purchase of gold or silver, but for the purchase of tin foil hats.

There has never been an economic collapse in which gold or silver became the medium of exchange. Think about it. If the whole of modern civilization came crashing down, would you take a chunk of a gold bar in exchange for something useful? Of course not.

What do you see happening (other than a black man being elected) that scares you so much. Most of us are not scared by that fact, so the chicken little screaming seems silly.

I agree that the hoarding of ammo and guns against the coming apocalypse is crazy. The fact that people who think this way believe that this forum is a friendly place to air those views is frustrating.

Our gun rights have not been more secure in our entire lifetimes than they are today. We have just taken a few steps back from the edge of a depression and we are not in the clear yet, but take a deep breath. There is nothing happening that should make you scared that the world is ending. Anyone who tells you different is either selling guns, gold, or religion and they are playing you for a fool.

I am not saying that you should not be prepared. Natural disasters happen. Violent crime happens and we should be ready for those things. Making longterm financial decisions based upon the fact that America is ending, however, is not supported by any reasonable appreciation of the evidence.

44Brent

imported post

There has never been an economic collapse in which gold or silver became the medium of exchange. Think about it. If the whole of modern civilization came crashing down, would you take a chunk of a gold bar in exchange for something useful? Of course not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2009/feb/11/zimbabwe-gold-panning-starvation-food

MDC activist Sam Chakaipa returns to his village in rural Zimbabwe to find his friends and neighbours starving to death, reduced to panning gold powder from the rivers to exchange for food at an exorbitant rate

SpokaneIrish

imported post

44Brent wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2009/feb/11/zimbabwe-gold-panning-starvation-food

MDC activist Sam Chakaipa returns to his village in rural Zimbabwe to find his friends and neighbours starving to death, reduced to panning gold powder from the rivers to exchange for food at an exorbitant rate
They are able to sell the gold because the western economies still demand it. If they were to fail, no.

Would you take gold dust for something valuable if there was no market for gold?