Thread: Question for Obtaining Permit here in VA

Post imported post

Anybody every tried to use anything ROTC based to get your permit? Just was asked this question and I'm trying to figure out if anybody has tried this?

Post imported post

If it is not specifically mentioned in the statute, then I think it is left to the discretion of the judge. IANAL

Post imported post

Skeptic wrote:
    If it is not specifically mentioned in the statute, then I think it is left to the discretion of the judge. IANAL
    I think a major point of the law is that the judge shouldn't have much discretion, if any. If there is "evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in...current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services," then the judge has to accept it (ยง 18.2-308.G.5).

~ Boyd

Post imported post

Actually, it's in the discretion of the Va. State Police. The statute says that any evidence of firearms training that the VSP finds acceptable will do. I'd go ahead and apply, using the ROTC credentials, citing the statute, and see if they take it. If they take the Hunter Safety Course and online courses, I'm sure they'll take ROTC's word for it.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    Actually, it's in the discretion of the Va. State Police. The statute says that any evidence of firearms training that the VSP finds acceptable will do.
    For Non-Resident permits. For Residents, it's the Circuit Court.

Just being anal-retentive, sorry.

~ Boyd