• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for Obtaining Permit here in VA

rob99vmi04

imported post

Anybody every tried to use anything ROTC based to get your permit? Just was asked this question and I'm trying to figure out if anybody has tried this?

TexasNative

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
If it is not specifically mentioned in the statute, then I think it is left to the discretion of the judge. IANAL
I think a major point of the law is that the judge shouldn't have much discretion, if any. If there is "evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in...current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services," then the judge has to accept it (§ 18.2-308.G.5).

~ Boyd

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Actually, it's in the discretion of the Va. State Police. The statute says that any evidence of firearms training that the VSP finds acceptable will do. I'd go ahead and apply, using the ROTC credentials, citing the statute, and see if they take it. If they take the Hunter Safety Course and online courses, I'm sure they'll take ROTC's word for it.

TexasNative

imported post

user wrote:
Actually, it's in the discretion of the Va. State Police. The statute says that any evidence of firearms training that the VSP finds acceptable will do.
For Non-Resident permits. For Residents, it's the Circuit Court.

Just being anal-retentive, sorry.

~ Boyd