• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S. Hernandez, pro-2A reporter no longer in Minocqua

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I tried to contact her today and I was informed she is no longer associated with the "Lakeland Times" newspaper located in Minocqua WI.

For those of you that have notmet miss Hernandez or read any of her articles, she is very pro-2A, she was the reporter with "Milwaukee Magazine" that penned the article involving Jesus Gonzalez (az?) (sorry Jesus) arrest confiscation of his gun (one of the incidents)
and she also covered an informal O-C walk in Minocqua involving myself and another local resident when the AG's memo was still hot news.

I wanted to see if she wanted to join me this evening for an armed walk around the town sinceI am joining several other owners of trained "German Shepherd Dogs" for a informal training session in downtown Minocqua where we will be practicingobedience with several distractions because there is an event tonight in town named "Gangster Night" where people will be dressed in 30's gangster attire to celebrate the movie about John Dillinger (Public Enemies)being filmed in this area.

I asked the head trainer "Why are we doing this with the dogs on such a busy night?"
She repliedkidding; "To scare people!" But it is to make sure our dogs remain obedient with several distractions.
I asked if anyone had issues with me being armed, and got alot of "Oh, You were one of the guys in the paper!?" Sure, we don't care if you have a gun on you it is your right and it is legal, go for it!

I just found out about this yesterday at agility training, otherwise I would have gotten it posted earlier for others to join.

WIG19

imported post

She became a member here last year.

I believe Samantha had some other things she was going to be doing for awhile, journalistically speaking.

Try a PM to shernandez

Nutczak

imported post

The evening was very uneventful, No police contact, nobody running away in terrorwhile screaming "he has a gun!"
Out of the hundreds of people milling about, I think only one person even noticed thatI was carrying. it was one of two guys talking and I saw the low-handed "Check that out" point.

One of the people in our group asked early on "Why do have a gun?" and I simply explained it is my constitutionally protected right, and handed hera WI OCDO pamphlet I had with me. She asked if I was concerned about being harassed by the police and I said "not in the least". She mentioned she has felt like carrying but did not want to stick out.

I was dressed in all black, I had a solid black dog at my left side, and I carried weak-side because of it. The OD-Green frame of my XD-m stood out clearly against my clothes.

All in all, very uneventful just as I expected from the education the police got from our local newspaper a few months back.

shernandez

imported post

Hello All,

It is true that I am no longer associated with The Lakeland Times.

I'm really touched that my being MIA warranted its own thread. I haven't done anything on the open-carry front recently.

I'm still up here though, hanging out. Sorry that I missed the recent walk I would have liked to have come along and talked shop.

Take care all and I'll try to pop in from time to time.

Samantha

P.S. thanks to BB62 for the heads up.

Nutczak

imported post

Hey Samantha,
I am glad you're still in the area, but very disappointed you are not still writing for the Lakeland Times. You were defenitely a hugeasset to the publication!

Although Thursday night was uneventful as expected, I did run into some difficulties in Lincoln County yesterday (The methamphetiphine capitol of Wisconsin) And I only had an empty holster on, no firearm in it and I got all kinds of threats and intimidationfrom 2 county law enforcement people. I am still madder than a snake that got stepped on over this incident.
I will tell that story in a different thread after I get some thingsdiscussed with their superiors and I have a chance to calm down a bit.

shernandez

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Hey Samantha,
I am glad you're still in the area, but very disappointed you are not still writing for the Lakeland Times. You were defenitely a huge asset to the publication!

Although Thursday night was uneventful as expected, I did run into some difficulties in Lincoln County yesterday (The methamphetiphine capitol of Wisconsin) And I only had an empty holster on, no firearm in it and I got all kinds of threats and intimidation from 2 county law enforcement people. I am still madder than a snake that got stepped on over this incident.
I will tell that story in a different thread after I get some things discussed with their superiors and I have a chance to calm down a bit.

I'm really sorry to hear that. It makes me mad that even after all this time that authorities can't leave well enough alone if the person is acting within the law.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

shernandez wrote:
...It is true that I am no longer associated with The Lakeland Times...
Please keep us posted what you're up to.

There are way too few informed "journalists" out there!

shernandez

imported post

BB62 wrote:
shernandez wrote:

I'm thinking of going to graduate school next year, but first I'm moving. That's about as far into the future as I've planned.

Nutczak

imported post

shernandez wrote:
BB62 wrote:
shernandez wrote:

I'm thinking of going to graduate school next year, but first I'm moving. That's about as far into the future as I've planned.

Samantha, I tried to give youan unbiased view of the northwoods, You were forewarned (well, you were let to know a few ugly little secrets when we spoke)
Does the word "Mayberry" ring true now? with Chief Gee being Andy, and officer Trojan playing the part of Barney Fife. (in a sick twisted masochistic sort of way)

Minocqua, a little northwoods tourist destination with a winter population of less than 4,500 people that swell to a summer population in excess of 50K obnoxious tourists and vacation home owners that try to bring big-city politics to the northwoods.

Everytime I get sick of the little city bullschitt, I think about living in Milwaukee and remember why I came back here. it takes a few years to fall into the northwoods attitude and realize not much is ever going to change.

shernandez

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
shernandez wrote:
BB62 wrote:
shernandez wrote:

Samantha, I tried to give you an unbiased view of the northwoods, You were forewarned (well, you were let to know a few ugly little secrets when we spoke)
Does the word "Mayberry" ring true now? with Chief Gee being Andy, and officer Trojan playing the part of Barney Fife. (in a sick twisted masochistic sort of way)

Minocqua, a little northwoods tourist destination with a winter population of less than 4,500 people that swell to a summer population in excess of 50K obnoxious tourists and vacation home owners that try to bring big-city politics to the northwoods.

Everytime I get sick of the little city bullschitt, I think about living in Milwaukee and remember why I came back here. it takes a few years to fall into the northwoods attitude and realize not much is ever going to change.

I found Chief Gee to be very pleasant and I never met officer Trojan. And as for moving, it has nothing to do with the town.

And no Mayberry does not ring true. Mayberry was a picturesque town from another time with writers scripting the whole deal. I've met a lot of lovely people while living here and I've had a chance to live in postcard settings and see wild life that I would only get to see in a zoo.

Heck, I even saw a bear. Well, the back of one.