• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Q's/Greetings

jszar

imported post

I hope to make it to the Bomber tonight for the gathering. Glad I saw the notice for it today.

A few questions I have about open carry...

Carrying on a boat ok? I fish this time of year in the Columbia several times throughout the month and then in the rivers as the salmon start to make their way upstream. Excluding where the cities ban it, is it ok to carry on a vessel on water? Anyone know if Washington is the same? I'm doing my research but first hand advice/experience is appreciated. Also, I'm looking for the borders of cities that ban OC. I saw that map that gives a good idea, but I'd like to draw lines with roads for myself because I'm near two boundaries a lot (Portland and Oregon City).

Lastly I'm new to posting here but I've been reading off and on for the last few weeks. I'm in the Marines and a resident of Texas for the last 5 years and a CHL there, but I'm a Rex Putnam grad and I'm visiting my parents till October when I leave for training. So my only option is OC. Seeing as a firearms violation would only cause me grief in the service I want to have my ducks in a row before I start OC'ing often near the borders. About to OC to Canby right now.

Thanks,
Jared

Autonym

imported post

Hey Jared,

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay before shipping out.

I made that map you mention - it was tricky to draw because the program I was using (Microsoft MapPoint 2009) doesn't care about city boundaries as much as it does about "census" areas, which apparently cities don't always use for their boundaries.

Here's a more detailed map of Portland, showing the exact boundaries. Portland has a no-loaded-open-carry ordinance (without CHL) and recent challenges indicates that "loaded" includes rounds in magazines anywhere on your person. Loose rounds are permitted.

City Boundary Map: http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=51672

Ordinance forbidding the carry of loaded firearms: http://www.portlandonline.com/Auditor/index.cfm?c=28514&a=15437

Oregon City has this neato interactive map Web Application at: http://maps.orcity.org/ that shows boundaries.

Hope this helps,

~Auto

P.S. - See you tonight...

We-the-People

imported post

I am NOT a lawyer and this is NOT legal advice but I belive, check with the locals, that you would be perfectly legal to carry CONCEALLED,without a CHL, while going to, during, and returning from, a fishing trip unless you fit one of the 166.250 (1) c prohibited persons and 166.270 (felons). Being in the military I doubt any of themapply but check.

166.250 is the prohibition against concealled carry. HOWEVER, 166.260 specifically exempts licensed hunters and fishermen. When going to or from and while hunting or fishing.

As a former Marine, 18 years, I know all to well that you certainly don't want any hassles left here when you return to your unit. Since I'm in Southern Oregon, I can't say how the L.E. up there is as far as hassling those who are abiding by the law but in ways they don't see every day. Ask the locals for guidance on that. Being legal isn't always the best bet personally if you can't afford the hassle (being military and stationed elsewhere).

And if anyone thinks or knows differently, please do let me know.

Here is a link to the regs online and an excerpt:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

(2) Except for persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c) or 166.270, ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.