Thread: couple of my most major questions regarding OC

Post imported post

as you may have read in my other topics I am a non-cpl holding citizen wishing to open carry, a few of my most pressing questions are

1. do establishments such as applebees, red robin, buffalo wild wings count as bar establishments that you can not carry in?

2: one of the main places I would be open carrying is at my friends shop in downtown flint, which is kiddie corner from the university of Michigan Flint. I'm almost positive that it is less than 1000 feet from the outskirts of umf campus, is this considered a weapon free school zone?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

1) Regardless, be it wal-mart or TGI Friday's, without a CPL you may not lawfully carry there. ANY place with ANY type of liquor license is off-limits.

2) Universities are not pistol-free zones according to State Law. Only k-12 institutions.

Post imported post

one more clarification, does liquor include places that only sell beer such as my local gas station, or does it only pretain to hard liquor?

Post imported post

ANY place that sells ANY type of alcohol. Beer, wine, hard liquor, etc...

Post imported post

great, thanks for thqe quick responses!

Post imported post

I thought that if the business didn't make most of it's money from liquor sales, then you could carry there. Maybe I misunderstood it, but that's what I thought.

Post imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
    I thought that if the business didn't make most of it's money from liquor sales, then you could carry there. Maybe I misunderstood it, but that's what I thought.
    That only applies to CPL holders. Non-CPL holders may not carry in any establishment licensed to sell acohol.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(34y...e=mcl-750-234d

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Note: "Liquor" under state law is any beverage containing more than .5% alcohol ( not medicines, etc)

To see if a certain business has a liquor license, check here:
    http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    bigdaddyj wrote:
    That only applies to CPL holders. Non-CPL holders may not carry in any establishment licensed to sell acohol.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(34y...e=mcl-750-234d

Bronson
    To clarify further, this applies to a CPL holder and a concealed pistol. A CPL holder may carry openly even if the alcohol sales exceed 50% of the revenue.
    United we STAND!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    1) Regardless, be it wal-mart or TGI Friday's, without a CPL you may not lawfully carry there. ANY place with ANY type of liquor license is off-limits.

2) Universities are not pistol-free zones according to State Law. Only k-12 institutions.
    Michigan doesn't have a 1000 foot law and the federal law exempts those that have a registered firearm. So you are okay to be within a 1000 ft. of a school as long as the firearm is licenced (registered). Also Private property doesn't count.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:

Michigan doesn't have a 1000 foot law and the federal law exempts those that have a registered firearm.* So you are okay to be within a 1000 ft. of a school as long as the firearm is licenced (registered).* Also Private property doesn't count.
    I often assume people know this but thank you for repeating the rules. (I know, when you assume..)I would like to underscore that you are correct, imho that the License to Purchase, Carry, Posses, and Transport does meet the federal requirements for the exemption. Additionally, state law does allow the school's "administrator" to give permission, so the potential conflicts in Michigan are very remote. So basically, no matter the application to home schooling situations, anyone carrying legally under current Michigan law should be covered as far as the law is concenred. People who choose to carry often forget that the "licensed liquor" limits may potentially subject them to serious problems. If one considers the places that may have a license, hotels for instance, the ramifications are unnecessarily severe.

Because so many here choose to OC w/out a CPL, I think that we need to aggressively pursue having this changed.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

Hey guys, havn't posted in a while. Good to be back.

As far as #2 of your statement goes, tell that to WMU.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

SA-XD wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:

Hey guys, havn't posted in a while. Good to be back.

As far as #2 of your statement goes, tell that to WMU.
    He means the pistol free zones as defined by law refer to K-12 only. Colleges and universities can have their own ordinances against firearms.

MSU justchanged their's to allow CPL holders to carry on campus. So one down the rest to go. Except Hillsdale College, which I think allows firearms on campus.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Regarding the University prohibitions, it really isn't a state law. However, the State Universities don't believe that they are required to follow the law regarding preemption because of the independence that universities are given in the state constitution. Until this is decided in a courtroom OR the university decides to follow state law in this regard, I would be extremely cautious about carrying.

FYI, most states have given state chartered universities independence in their constitutions. This is one of those issues that eventually will be decided one way or another.

Post imported post

This all makes me wonder about EMU. Was thinking I would OC there in a couple months when a film I helped with premiers there (student center building I think)

Should I check with someone there? I don't want to be on the wrong end at a college...if anyone knows...?

Post imported post

Scooter wrote:
    This all makes me wonder about EMU. Was thinking I would OC there in a couple months when a film I helped with premiers there (student center building I think)

Should I check with someone there? I don't want to be on the wrong end at a college...if anyone knows...?
    I would check the EMU website for their regulations. I would not
    ask as I am sure their answer would be "NO". State law only mentions
    dorms and classrooms for a CPL licensee carrying concealed.

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

I would check the EMU website for their regulations. I would not
    ask as I am sure their answer would be "NO". State law only mentions
    dorms and classrooms for a CPL licensee carrying concealed.
    Agreed. I'll check their site.