• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

couple of my most major questions regarding OC

kyleplusitunes

imported post

as you may have read in my other topics I am a non-cpl holding citizen wishing to open carry, a few of my most pressing questions are

1. do establishments such as applebees, red robin, buffalo wild wings count as bar establishments that you can not carry in?

2: one of the main places I would be open carrying is at my friends shop in downtown flint, which is kiddie corner from the university of Michigan Flint. I'm almost positive that it is less than 1000 feet from the outskirts of umf campus, is this considered a weapon free school zone?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1) Regardless, be it wal-mart or TGI Friday's, without a CPL you may not lawfully carry there. ANY place with ANY type of liquor license is off-limits.

2) Universities are not pistol-free zones according to State Law. Only k-12 institutions.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

one more clarification, does liquor include places that only sell beer such as my local gas station, or does it only pretain to hard liquor?

bigdaddyj

imported post

I thought that if the business didn't make most of it's money from liquor sales, then you could carry there. Maybe I misunderstood it, but that's what I thought.

Bronson

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Bronson wrote:
bigdaddyj wrote:
I thought that if the business didn't make most of it's money from liquor sales, then you could carry there. Maybe I misunderstood it, but that's what I thought.

That only applies to CPL holders. Non-CPL holders may not carry in any establishment licensed to sell acohol.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(34yrmpvikkzgky55imwjlvzb))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

Bronson
To clarify further, this applies to a CPL holder and a concealed pistol. A CPL holder may carry openly even if the alcohol sales exceed 50% of the revenue.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
1) Regardless, be it wal-mart or TGI Friday's, without a CPL you may not lawfully carry there. ANY place with ANY type of liquor license is off-limits.

2) Universities are not pistol-free zones according to State Law. Only k-12 institutions.
Michigan doesn't have a 1000 foot law and the federal law exempts those that have a registered firearm. So you are okay to be within a 1000 ft. of a school as long as the firearm is licenced (registered). Also Private property doesn't count.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Venator wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Michigan doesn't have a 1000 foot law and the federal law exempts those that have a registered firearm.  So you are okay to be within a 1000 ft. of a school as long as the firearm is licenced (registered).  Also Private property doesn't count.

I often assume people know this but thank you for repeating the rules. (I know, when you assume..)I would like to underscore that you are correct, imho that the License to Purchase, Carry, Posses, and Transport does meet the federal requirements for the exemption. Additionally, state law does allow the school's "administrator" to give permission, so the potential conflicts in Michigan are very remote. So basically, no matter the application to home schooling situations, anyone carrying legally under current Michigan law should be covered as far as the law is concenred. People who choose to carry often forget that the "licensed liquor" limits may potentially subject them to serious problems. If one considers the places that may have a license, hotels for instance, the ramifications are unnecessarily severe.

Because so many here choose to OC w/out a CPL, I think that we need to aggressively pursue having this changed.

SA-XD

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

Hey guys, havn't posted in a while. Good to be back.

As far as #2 of your statement goes, tell that to WMU.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SA-XD wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Hey guys, havn't posted in a while. Good to be back.

As far as #2 of your statement goes, tell that to WMU.

He means the pistol free zones as defined by law refer to K-12 only. Colleges and universities can have their own ordinances against firearms.

MSU justchanged their's to allow CPL holders to carry on campus. So one down the rest to go. Except Hillsdale College, which I think allows firearms on campus.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Regarding the University prohibitions, it really isn't a state law. However, the State Universities don't believe that they are required to follow the law regarding preemption because of the independence that universities are given in the state constitution. Until this is decided in a courtroom OR the university decides to follow state law in this regard, I would be extremely cautious about carrying.

FYI, most states have given state chartered universities independence in their constitutions. This is one of those issues that eventually will be decided one way or another.

Scooter

imported post

This all makes me wonder about EMU. Was thinking I would OC there in a couple months when a film I helped with premiers there (student center building I think)

Should I check with someone there? I don't want to be on the wrong end at a college...if anyone knows...?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Scooter wrote:
This all makes me wonder about EMU. Was thinking I would OC there in a couple months when a film I helped with premiers there (student center building I think)

Should I check with someone there? I don't want to be on the wrong end at a college...if anyone knows...?

I would check the EMU website for their regulations. I would not
ask as I am sure their answer would be "NO". State law only mentions
dorms and classrooms for a CPL licensee carrying concealed.

Scooter

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Scooter wrote:

I would check the EMU website for their regulations. I would not
ask as I am sure their answer would be "NO". State law only mentions
dorms and classrooms for a CPL licensee carrying concealed.
Agreed. I'll check their site.