• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone want to take a reloading class from a NRA instructor?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I talked to an instructor at the Personal Defense Institute of Colorado and he said they are going to start offering NRA reloading courses at the end of the month. I wanted to see if anyone wanted to take the course with me to make sure that we'll have enough people to keep the price down.

Now's the time to get into reloading! If you take the class with me, I'll tell you where you can find primers ;)

Ape

imported post

Approximately what kind of cost and time commitment are we talking about? Where would it be, time of day, what day...etc...

I might be interested if it falls into my schedule and budget?

zach

imported post

Ape wrote:
Approximately what kind of cost and time commitment are we talking about? Where would it be, time of day, what day...etc...

I might be interested if it falls into my schedule and budget?

+1

I've done a little with my dad and friends, but it would be nice to get a pro lesson.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I believe he said it was going to be somewhere around $125 or something, depends on how many people he can get to sign up. He's going to keep the individual classes small (about 6 people) to ensure that each person can get the one on one time needed for reloading.

This will most likely be an all day thing. Probably about 6 hours classroom, a few hours reloading, then a test.

I don't have a date, he said he would call me and let me know.

If you want to give them a call and get on the call list for available classes, here's their number: (303) 367-4867.

Ape

imported post

Hmmmmm.... :?

A buck 25 is a bit more than I would like to spend on something I already have a few books on, as well as some experience and some old timers to bend an ear on. :?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well then maybe the class isn't for you. This may be best for people with no experience in reloading at all to learn from a certified instructor so that they don't develop any bad habits. Actually I think he said he preferred people who have no reloading experience at all so that they're a clean slate.

I think it's a small price to pay to learn how to do it the right way since inexperienced reloading can be dangerous.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

*UPDATE*

Hey guys, got the instructor down to $90 each for the course, but I need to bring 4 people with me. Any takers?

By the way, it's a 4 hour course.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Ian wrote:
This may be best for people with no experience in reloading at all to learn from a certified instructor so that they don't develop any bad habits. Actually I think he said he preferred people who have no reloading experience at all so that they're a clean slate.

I think it's a small price to pay to learn how to do it the right way since inexperienced reloading can be dangerous.

I think it was Izod who was saying that all NRA instructors in Colorado actively discourage open carry in their classes and in private conversation.

Sure, taking a reloading class would be great.I would like to do that someday.But if the instructor is just going to rag on OC incessantly.....then maybe it'd be better to just get the Dillon equipment and guide and have at it...

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Ian wrote:
This may be best for people with no experience in reloading at all to learn from a certified instructor so that they don't develop any bad habits. Actually I think he said he preferred people who have no reloading experience at all so that they're a clean slate.

I think it was Izod who was saying that all NRA instructors in Colorado actively discourage open carry in their classes and in private conversation.

Sure, taking a reloading class would be great.I would like to do that someday.But if the instructor is just going to rag on OC incessantly.....then maybe it'd be better to just get the Dillon equipment and guide and have at it...
Seriously? Get over it man. The instructor is not going to rag on OC incessantly, I'm sure he'll be busy enough with trying to teach everything we need to know in the 4 hour time frame.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

No date set. If I come to him with 4 other people, I'm sure we can do whatever date we want.

How does Saturday, September 5th work for everyone?
No time yet, just want to see if anyone has any conflicts before i call the instructor. If that day works for you guys, please PM me your first and last names as well as a telephone number so I can give the instructor a list of people.

The instructor is going to call me tomorrow so we can work out a time for the class. Then they'll update the site so you can sign up for it online.

By the way, here's their website: http://personaldefenseinstitute.org/class-reloading.html

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

zach wrote:
That is Labor day weekend, FYI.

I'm not able that weekend(hunting....), but the following looks to be open.
Oh man, I didn't even realize that! I'll talk to the instructor about moving it to the weekend after that.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Man you guys missed out. It was an awesome class, and very personal. I'm now ready to start making some ammo :)

Ape

imported post

Ian wrote:
Man you guys missed out. It was an awesome class, and very personal. I'm now ready to start making some ammo :)

Glad to hear it was a good learning experience for ya. :cool:

Beyond actual formula's in manuals and book's, what did he teach ya?