• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Packing buns and guns: Hundreds expected for pistol picnic (Glenwood City, WI)

Fireball357

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Mike wrote:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=822024&catid=391

Annette Olson left her gun at home as she hung posters in storefronts Thursday, not wanting "to alarm people as I'm walking along the street."

But come August 23rd it won't just be the potato chips she's packing.
Not to criticize, but my question for Annette is: If you believe so strongly in the 2nd Amendment why would you be afraid to open carry while putting up signs for the event?

Also I realize that at the bottom of your event posters you have a statement that this even is not affiliated with opencarry.org.

Will you advertise for the petition online as OCDO has advertised for your event?
Like I said I am not criticizing you, however we need to get the word out on this petition and every little bit helps.

Molon Labe!
Carry On!
I am Annette’s husband. We are the sponsors of this event

The reason for the disclaimer at the bottom was twofold; 1[suP]st[/suP] is, we are not big proponents of open carry when concealed is an option, we believe concealed to be a better choice when lawful.

Now; that said, I have recently read the essay by Mainsail at http://www.usacarry.com/ and am seriously rethinking my position on the practice. This is one of the best, most well written pieces I’ve read in a long time.

But secondly and the greatest reason for autonomy from OCDO was to defuse the medias ability make the claim that this grassroots event was something orchestrated from some larger political machine.

As you and I know OCDO isn’t a “larger political machine”; the general public would assume that it is or has a lobbying element.

Now as for her comment; the selection of a few words without the complete question and answer gives a completely different context of what was said.

The reporter asked “Why aren’t you carrying today while you are putting up posters?”

The answers was, (and I’m paraphrasing to give the exact message)”This is one of the problems with the State Statute. To be in full compliance with the law, (because you cannot have a loaded uncased firearm in a vehicle), every time you stop to get out of you vehicle, you must remove the cased firearm completely from the vehicle, it cannot even sit on the seat or on the tailgate of a pick-up truck as decisions from court cases have decided this is still “IN” the vehicle, Then you must load and holster your sidearm. Subsequently, when you return to the vehicle you must reverse this process. If you were to see someone doing this it could cause alarm, as this would give reason for question from an uneducated public as to why are they loading that gun to go into the store? Conversely, if you were allowed to carry it on your side or concealed in the vehicle, you would just enter and exit and go about your business and not raise an eyebrow.”

As to the petition question: we would be more than happy to give you some microphone time to explain the petition and how and where to sign it if you or someone you delegate wishes to do so. PM me and we’ll set something up.

One last note: even though we are not naive to how the media operates, this has been a HUGE learning experience as to how to address them and what to say. We are more prepared for the interviews on the day of the event than before, but that is no guarantee that they won’t slice and dice your statement to fit into the 25 – 30 seconds of airspace and give a completely different spin.

TFred

imported post

Fireball357 wrote:
Now; that said, I have recently read the essay by Mainsail at http://www.usacarry.com/ and am seriously rethinking my position on the practice. This is one of the best, most well written pieces I’ve read in a long time.

Is this the post you are referring to?

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

TFred (who seems to have an OCD-like illness in chasing down links that are mentioned, but not provided as a reference...)

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Fire Ball,

Your answers are fair and understood. I can definitely understand that arming and disarming could be a hassle when traveling all over town posting flyers up in every store and business.

As far as the petition goes, It would be nice if you could just mention it at your event and spread the word. It is as much for your cause as ours, since I believe we ultimately have the same goals and working together can only be a benefit.

I am not sure if I will be able to make your event, but I will sure try.

Molon Labe!

Carry on!

Fireball357

imported post

TFred wrote:
Fireball357 wrote:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

TFred (who seems to have an OCD-like illness in chasing down links that are mentioned, but not provided as a reference...)

That's the one!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story-news.asp?id=BKS7JU5R0B2

No offense but....

I don't get it. An Open Carry picnic but the man organizing the event stated:

"Olson said he actually is not an advocate for the open carry law,

"I am not an advocate of open carry for several reasons; one being that it does give a certain discomfort level to some people," said Olson, a construction contractor."

What are the other reasons?

And just how do you think people will react if they found out you were carrying a concealed fire arm?

Take a stand! You are for your 2nd Amendment rights or your against them.

I will not support any bill, legislation, movement or event that goes against a no compromise OCW/CCW non permitted system........EVER!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Fireball357 wrote:
TFred wrote:
Fireball357 wrote:

That's the one!
The Initial Posting at that link is an oxymoron. In one paragragh it says why you shouldn't open carry because no matter what situation you are in you will lose.

Then in the next paragraph it says that your chances are better if you conceal carry.
Well I got news for you. Your chances of being faster at the draw from a CCW then an OCW are slim and none.

This whole article written on this link is a put down of open carry and I for one do not understand why you would come to this forum and post the link. It is a slap in the face to the members of OCDO.

Let me make this 100% clear....This is called "opencarry.org" not "concealedcarry.org" so you can take that promotion to another site.

Sure seems to me that you are using "open carry" as a front to promote your cause of "concealed carry."

As I said before in another thread.......

I will not support any bill, legislation, movement or event that goes against a no compromise OCW/CCW non permitted system........EVER!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
"Michael Bloomberg Gun Giveaway" raffle a few years ago to help victims of his illegal sting operation
Frickin brilliant! Name the events after gun-haters. Make sure to mention that it is 'in their honor' when the cameras are rolling.

Maybe have a Jennings engraved "Pelosi Special" and give it away. :p

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I thought that the OP and the article were a little odd.... It seems to denounce OC and call it nothing but a path to CC... Talk about getting it backwards.

I hate to be divisive, but this sounds bad... Even the promoter was not carrying when putting up the posters, because it might scare people?

Weak.

countrymama

imported post

ixtow wrote:
I thought that the OP and the article were a little odd.... It seems to denounce OC and call it nothing but a path to CC... Talk about getting it backwards.

I hate to be divisive, but this sounds bad... Even the promoter was not carrying when putting up the posters, because it might scare people?

Weak.

if you understand how the media works, they chopped up her quote.

she's not carrying becasue of the way the law is and she can't carry in the vehicle. see quote:

fireball357 wrote earlier in this thread:

Now as for her comment; the selection of a few words without the complete question and answer gives a completely different context of what was said.

The reporter asked “Why aren’t you carrying today while you are putting up posters?”

The answers was, (and I’m paraphrasing to give the exact message)”This is one of the problems with the State Statute. To be in full compliance with the law, (because you cannot have a loaded uncased firearm in a vehicle), every time you stop to get out of you vehicle, you must remove the cased firearm completely from the vehicle, it cannot even sit on the seat or on the tailgate of a pick-up truck as decisions from court cases have decided this is still “IN” the vehicle, Then you must load and holster your sidearm. Subsequently, when you return to the vehicle you must reverse this process. If you were to see someone doing this it could cause alarm, as this would give reason for question from an uneducated public as to why are they loading that gun to go into the store? Conversely, if you were allowed to carry it on your side or concealed in the vehicle, you would just enter and exit and go about your business and not raise an eyebrow.”

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Understood, but knowing this, choose to do without the vehicle... You're either promoting a right or you aren't. Don't give the media the chance to do this in the first place!