• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This interaction with police didn't go so well

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

aikidoka wrote:
This guy besides reducing my self-defense ability, set me up for a charge of brandishing if I tried to reload outside his "presence" even though I had broken no laws whatsoever.

Oh and neat trick, you don't have to detain a person when you take their property with hardly a chance for them to say no.

Advice?

At the very least I'm calling the Hammond Police tomorrow to file a complaint.

Pursuing the complaint is a fine idea. You did nothing wrong and handled the encounter well. Don't let the cop haterz like S357 muck things up for ya.

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
I personally left Indiana because my handgun was confiscated during a similar confrontation and never returned to me. There was never an arrest and the Mishawaka police department and the St Joseph Prosecutor's office decided they would not return it unless I got a court order. I didn't have the money for a lawyer and eventually gave up fighting it and moved.

My handgun license was also revoked. During the hearing in Indianapolis it was determined I am a "dangerous person" (because of the OC incident, apparently OC is dangerous). It was at this point I packed my bags and left for good.

PLEASE fight this, and take advantage of the help here and other places. In hindsight, I wish I didn't tuck tail so quickly.

For the record, I did and still do meet all the state and federal requirements to carry a handgun. Shall issue? Not in practice.
Was there any charge or violation that was made by MPD? Did you attend the hearing in Indianapolis?

Can you pass a NCIC background check today?

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Yes I can pass a background check and meet all legal state and federal requirements for a license to carry in Indiana. I have since purchased several guns both in Indiana and now in Idaho. I also hold a license to carry a concealed weapon here in Idaho, and had no problem going through the FBI print check.

Edited to reflect legal advice.

Advised to remove this portion of the post, it appears I may have some legal counsel now.

chris in va

imported post

Good for you, I hope things go well with the lawyer. Can't believe these...ah...officers are behaving in this manner. It's just a friggin state over, what does a boundary have anything to do with OC or not. KY generally doesn't have this issue.

aikidoka

imported post

I'm not having much luck. The first lawyer I called hasn't called back and I'm still trying to find out if Det. Cmd. Potesta in Highland actually did inform Hammond Police. If he did, and it was before I had my interactions, that means the truth is not being given to officers in the field which to me is an even more serious matter.