• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Picnic,Lexington-Free Stuff (almost)

8th ID

imported post

If you don't have the details about the upcoming OC picnic just follow

this link http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/26530-1.html

Now, I had an idea that I think will get more people out and provide for a good cause. How about a silent auction with the proceeds going to a charity, organization or toward some other worthwhile cause?

Just look around your home, you know you have firearm related things that you no longer use or want. Bring them to the picnic and have people bid on them. Simple. Something you no longer need or wany may be exactly what another OCer has been looking for.

Here's a few of the things that I will bring: Team Glock Cap; got glock? T-shirt, large, washed but never worn; Complete Glock Reference Guide book, 3rd edition; .40 ammo...

So, what do you guys think?

8th ID

imported post

I will be checking KRS ASAP, and hopefully have an answer soon. I don't think the silent auction is the issue, it's the ammo that's the issue. I don't think there is anything illegal about it since it's legal for me to privately sell a firearm.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Sorry it took me an extra week to get the promo info ready for Lexington's first Open Carry Picnic. Here it is!

OpenCarryPicnic-Flier-750.jpg

Yep! We're going to be open carrying in Jacobson Park!

Please join us for Lexington Kentucky's first OPEN CARRY PICNIC! It's about time someone did this!

We'll be having a lot of fun, while we also promote our inalienable right to keep and bear arms. Everything about this event is casual. Just bring some of your favorite food, feel free to share food with others if you like, and meet some of the nicest and friendliest folks in the Bluegrass. An armed society is a polite society.

Hopefully, many people will be curious enough to stop by and check us out. This event is open to the public and anyone wanting to support our rights and learn more about firearms for self defense is welcome to attend.

The usual firearms rules apply, of course. Anyone already carrying a firearm should already be aware of all of the proper safety precautions. It's not that complicated. Carry the handgun openly at all times. Concealed carry without a CDW license is a crime, so make certain that your handgun remains unconcealed and in plain sight at all times. Carry your handgun in a quality holster that has adequate retention features to make certain the weapon stays holstered at all times, and the holster should completely cover the trigger and prevent accidental activation. Make absolutely certain that your firearm cannot discharge negligently. If you do not regularly open carry and have even the slightest doubt, you are encouraged to carry a handgun without a round in the chamber to maximize safety. Responsibly owning and carrying a handgun is safe, and we want to demonstrate that to the public.

There is no requirement to have a handgun to attend this picnic. Everyone is very welcome to attend. If you're curious and know nothing about firearms, please come out and visit, and learn about your unalienable right to self defense. There is always too much food at these picnics, so you don't even need to bring any food. We'll have food to share. Please, join us!

Jacobson Park is on the southeast side of Lexington, about two miles outside Man O War Boulevard on Richmond Road, at the point where Old Richmond Road branches off Richmond Road. If you're coming from outside of town, take the Athens exit #104 off I-75 and head toward town on Athens Boonesboro Road for about three miles.

View Larger Map

If you have any questions, please call 859-913-0747

If you'd like to print flyers to help us promote this event:
http://gunsandgarbage.com/OpenCarryPicnic.pdf

If you'd like to email a link with this info:
http://www.GunsAndGarbage.com

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Please promote the heck out of this event! Call your friends and family, tell your coworkers, and ask everyone to invite anyone they know. Let's get a large crowd of people open carrying in Jacobson Park, a little less than two weeks from now. I'll heavily promote this in the liberty community all across the state, and I expect a large crowd of liberty folks will attend. Many have been looking forward to it and asking me about it.

I checked out the park and the shelter last week. I confirmed that there are no gun buster signs in sight. There are six large picnic tables that could seat about 72 people, although special permission is needed for more than 50 people.

There is potable water available - drinking fountain and spigot.

Enter Jacobson Park from Richmond Road, make an immediate right, go down the hill, bear left, cross over a large culvert, and bear right. There is a LOT of parking next to shelter #6 so do not park on the grass. There are port-o-potties a short walk from the shelter, and plenty of room if someone wants to throw a Frisbee or something.

I'll have lots of signs directing people to the Open Carry Picnic, which will also serve to invite the curious park visitors to drop in and say hi.

I'll have a lot of handouts explaining the relevant laws, in case someone needs to be educated.

Let's have a fun and safe Open Carry Picnic!

I'm bringing potato salad and a couple of watermelons... and my 10mm Glock 20. :)

Liberty4Ever

imported post

As for a silent auction, I don't know about the rules. Here's the rule from the draconian LFUCG Division of Parks And Recreation so you can decide for yourself.

7. The promotion, advertising and/or selling of merchandise for commercial and/or personal gain is prohibited, as is the solicitation or distribution of literature by any group or organization for any purpose.

Basically, I think they want people to have a picnic and that's it! If you guys want to have an auction or whatever, it's still a semi-free country. I do think there's a chance that The Man :) will be looking for any chance to cite us or roust us. I'd like to keep it simple. We can have a picnic. We can open carry. But as I said, if someone else wants to interpret the rules to allow a charity auction, that's between you and the LFUCG, as far as I'm concerned.

Note that the same rule prohibits me from passing out literature about firearms laws in Kentucky or open carry. I'll have lots of copies in case I need to reference the law, but I can't distribute the literature.

Most of the rest of The Rules are fairly common sense, with an emphasis on "if you wonder if you can... you can't." No parking on the grass. No propane stoves under the shelter. No alcoholic beverages. No bon fires. No overnight camping. No littering. No animals unless they're on a leash.

BigBubba

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
snip .. Note that the same rule prohibits me from passing out literature about firearms laws in Kentucky or open carry. I'll have lots of copies in case I need to reference the law, but I can't distribute the literature. ..snip
You wouldn't bereallybe distributing if you just sat out a box of literature that anyone could pick up would you? Iwouldinterpretdistributing to be you handing them out.