• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

King County Ordinance 6798

XD45PlusP

imported post

Had business at the KC Youth Detention Facility, and upon the entrance to the parking lot there isthis sign. Upon entering the courthouse facility talked with the KC Deputy and she had to look it up, and could not find the Ordinance, but only several links/references to it being mentioned. She stated that you could bring your firearm and they would lock it up for you before the metal detectors, which is good, but it (The Sign) is conflicting with RCW 9.41. She said to talk with someone at KC, and while I was talking about Firearms, she herself mentioned that KC just recently sent out a memo in regards to OC being legal and how to handle OC'ers. Very cool KC deputy, was a pleasure to talk with

There is no school which is k-12 at the facility. Seems like a sneaky little sign. The signs are at all the entrances to the parking lot, and the entrance to the Youth Courthouse. Anybody ever seen this before?

XD

j2l3

imported post

No, but if I recall, it IS a jail and court facility. They use the drug free zone because it is a youth detention facility.

They should clean up their signs and references.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

XD45PlusP wrote:
There is no school which is k-12 at the facility.

XD

Youth detention facilities provide educational services to kids being held, either in their cell or more typically in a classroom. They receive state funding for being an institutional school, and therefore the KC Juvenile Detention Center is a "school."

For the purposes of carrying, it presents an interesting situation -- do the courthouse/jail statutes apply, the school statutes, or both?

If they said you're good to carry and they have a lock box, seems as if they are considering it purely a courthouse/jail. Too bad all schools don't provide lockboxes if they aren't going to allow CC/OC.

Charles

joeroket

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
XD45PlusP wrote:

XD

Youth detention facilities provide educational services to kids being held, either in their cell or more typically in a classroom.  They receive state funding for being an institutional school, and therefore the KC Juvenile Detention Center is a "school."

For the purposes of carrying, it presents an interesting situation -- do the courthouse/jail statutes apply, the school statutes, or both?

If they said you're good to carry and they have a lock box, seems as if they are considering it purely a courthouse/jail.  Too bad all schools don't provide lockboxes if they aren't going to allow CC/OC.

Charles

+1
this is absolutely correct and they are required by federal law to post such signs because they educate kids in the facility. The reason you can carry a firearm into the building is because it is not used exclusively by a k-12 entity.

XD45PlusP

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
XD45PlusP wrote:

XD

Youth detention facilities provide educational services to kids being held, either in their cell or more typically in a classroom. They receive state funding for being an institutional school, and therefore the KC Juvenile Detention Center is a "school."

If they said you're good to carry and they have a lock box, seems as if they are considering it purely a courthouse/jail. Too bad all schools don't provide lockboxes if they aren't going to allow CC/OC.

Charles

Charles,

She stated I was good to go, and that it wasn't "School Grounds" as the so called school wasn't a K-12 and even so, If you have legitimate purposes, and I assume doing business at the youth courthouse is a legitimate business, you can still leave it in the car, even if it were school grounds, but that she doesn't recommend doing so, as cars get broken into all the time. She said I could secure it in the lockbox/check it with deputy, to just motion for the deputy, before going through the metal detectors. She even checked on that just to make sure. All in all she was very helpful, and I applaud her professionalism. She was extremely friendly.

The sign contradicts RCW 9.41.280 & RCW 9.41.300 She even stated so....

XD

bennie1986

imported post

From what I understand if it was considered and educational facility you could at least carry if you were dropping off or picking up a student, or someone of the like detained in the facility because you can only assume that they are receiving all amenities if you will, regardless of the sign.

XD45PlusP

imported post

Looks like those signs made the gangbangers not carry there! MORONS Wow, and I was just there..... Another GFZ that works eh? :cuss::banghead:

Damn right, I'm gonna carry there. Is this Dejavu?

Police continue search for suspects after teen shot in hip
Seattle police continue looking for suspects from a shooting at the King County Youth Services Center parking lot on First Hill.

By Phillip Lucas

Seattle Times staff reporter

Seattle police Friday night were searching for suspects in a shooting at King County Youth Service Center on Friday morning that left one young man hospitalized.

Officers responded to a call at about 10:30 a.m., after witnesses said several shots were fired into a group of about 12 teens standing in the building's parking lot near 12th Avenue and East Alder Street.

A young man who police said could be 17 or 18 years old was found in the parking lot with a gunshot wound to his hip; he was taken to Harborview Medical Center with nonlife-threatening injuries.

The Youth Service Center houses the juvenile court and a juvenile-detention center, and it was locked down for about 45 minutes because of the shooting.

Mark Jamieson, Seattle police spokesman, said the teens hadn't been inside the building and it was unclear what caused the attack.

Two or three suspects were seen fleeing the scene in a white car that police said may have been a Chevrolet. The car drove toward Jefferson Street before police arrived.

Officers had no detailed description of the suspects Friday and were determining whether there are any connections between the victim, the suspect and the Youth Service Center.

Sheridan Melton, who works near the scene of the shooting, was sitting in his parked car during a break when he heard about five gunshots from the parking lot about a block away.

"I turned my head, and I saw a gentleman running," Melton said, adding that he saw someone else ducking behind cars while running from the parking lot. Melton said it was unclear if the people he saw were running to safety or escaping from the scene.

When officers arrived, a red bandanna was lying on 12th Avenue outside the building's parking lot. The Seattle police gang unit is investigating the incident.

Thomas McCray, 77, who lives across 12th Avenue from the Youth Service Center, vented frustration with gangs and youth gun violence in Seattle.

"They're doing stupid things, shooting people just for nothing," McCray said. "Young people killing young people — I can't understand that."

The shooting comes less than a week after the Hoops for Hope basketball tournament, an annual community fundraiser to raise awareness of gun violence in Seattle.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009665764_shot15m.html