• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about OC info souces

Otahyoni

imported post

I've seen a few references to looking on the IN state police website about OC being legal and wanted to read it for myself. I also thought it would be handy to print it out for a quick reference, but i couldn't seem to find the information on the site.

Does anyone have a link to help me out?

Also, anyone here from the Terre Haute area? I'd like to get together with someone else and have an OC outing. Kinda nervous about OCing by myself and the reactions or trouble i may get. Just want to be prepared.

jsgolfman

imported post

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

This is the FAQ pdf. The actual verbage is as folows:

[align=left]Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or[/align]
[align=left]exposed?[/align]

[align=left]Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may[/align]
[align=left]alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private[/align]
[align=left]property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted[/align]
[align=left]areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for[/align]
[align=left]official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended[/align]
[align=left]that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or[/align]
[align=left]have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement[/align]
officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

Otahyoni

imported post

Thank you for your reply. I had also sent an e-mail to my local PD and this is the response i received, in a very timely manner if i may say so.

Sir, There is no law prohibiting a person with a handgun license that a handgun has to be concealed when carried on their person although it is not a smart thing to carry one where it is visible to the public. When people see the gun they will call the police every time as it scares them and you would be stopped a lot to make sure you have a handgun license. We answer calls like that frequently. Also, businesses can and will deny you entry while carrying a visible handgun. As police officers when we are in plain clothes and carry a handgun that is visible we are required to wear our badge next to the gun so we are easily identified as police officers. We do strongly recommend that people with handgun permits that carry handguns on their person carry them concealed to avoid any problems. People with handgun licenses have to be very responsible while carrying a handgun. Also, if we have problems with people that have handgun permits we would write a report and forward it to the State Police to have a hearing to revoke their permit. You also can check the laws on handguns on the internet under Indiana handgun laws. Hope this answers your question.

Marc Eldred
Assistant Chief Operations Division
Terre Haute Police Department
1211 Wabash Avenue
Terre Haute, Indiana 47807

Anderson IN

imported post

Otahyoni wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I had also sent an e-mail to my local PD and this is the response i received, in a very timely manner if i may say so.

Sir, There is no law prohibiting a person with a handgun license that a handgun has to be concealed when carried on their person although it is not a smart thing to carry one where it is visible to the public. When people see the gun they will call the police every time as it scares them and you would be stopped a lot to make sure you have a handgun license. We answer calls like that frequently. Also, businesses can and will deny you entry while carrying a visible handgun. As police officers when we are in plain clothes and carry a handgun that is visible we are required to wear our badge next to the gun so we are easily identified as police officers. We do strongly recommend that people with handgun permits that carry handguns on their person carry them concealed to avoid any problems. People with handgun licenses have to be very responsible while carrying a handgun. Also, if we have problems with people that have handgun permits we would write a report and forward it to the State Police to have a hearing to revoke their permit. You also can check the laws on handguns on the internet under Indiana handgun laws. Hope this answers your question.

Marc Eldred
1211 Wabash Avenue

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"One of these days you would hope that the police would get the balls to just ask those that call in............."is the weapon in a holster? yes! Are they doing anything to lead you to believe that they are doing anything illegal? No! Are they doing anything suspicious? No!Are you aware that carrying a weapon is legal in the state of Indiana? No! Well it is and I'm sure they are just a citizen practicing their 2nd amendment rights! If you do noticeanything suspicious please call back we will have a car in that area!

Otahyoni

imported post

Anderson, IN wrote:
Otahyoni wrote:

Marc Eldred
1211 Wabash Avenue

One of these days you would hope that the police would get the balls to just ask those that call in.............
"is the weapon in a holster? yes!

Are they doing anything to lead you to believe that they are doing anything illegal? No!

Are they doing anything suspicious? No!

Are you aware that carrying a weapon is legal in the state of Indiana? No!

Well it is and I'm sure they are just a citizen practicing their 2nd amendment rights! If you do noticeanything suspicious please call back we will have a car in that area!
Boy wouldn't that be nice... Maybe over time we can get more people to become accustomed to OC and maybe get more responsible citizens to carry?

Anderson IN

imported post

Otahyoni

I open carry at all times. If you have any questions or need some additional confindence please just contact me at any time. It's not nearly as bad as you think! LOL:celebrate

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Otahyoni wrote:

Marc Eldred
1211 Wabash Avenue

So, what the Assistant Chief is saying, even though you have your License To Carry Handgun (note it is a License,NOT a Permit), if enough people call to complain about you choosing to open carry, he (the Assistant Chief) will attempt to have the ISP revoke your LTCH even though by his own admission no law has been broken.

I find that revolting on so many levels.

Otahyoni

imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
Otahyoni wrote:

Marc Eldred
1211 Wabash Avenue

So, what the Assistant Chief is saying, even though you have your License To Carry Handgun (note it is a License,NOT a Permit), if enough people call to complain about you choosing to open carry, he (the Assistant Chief) will attempt to have the ISP revoke your LTCH even though by his own admission no law has been broken.

I find that revolting on so many levels.

You and me both.