• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther P22...

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

Hey guys, I wanted to know what you guys thought about a Walther P22 as a concealed carry weapon for my Mother, I know it's a small caliber but it's what she can shoot with comfortably/confidently. It's suitable for her small hands and what not but I wanted to know how much would one be priced at here in CT. I found one for about $420 or $445 after tax. I think that is a way to high for a .22 cal but I am hoping you guys have seen a much lower price for one. BTW it is the P22 with the blue finish on the frame. (Pic Below)

Thanks ahead of time.
-Joe

3682916812_57d3006a2a.jpg

remingtondude58

imported post

I would avoid the P22, it is very ammo picky, and one of the members of migunowners.org posted pics of his after the first range trip, and it did not look good.

oldkim

imported post

I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback on how a .22LR is not asuitablecaliber forself defense and that they wouldn't be caught dead by the "Self Defense Community" using a .22LR to defend themselves.

I say whatever floats your boat. Considering it's your mother's choice and if that is what she feels comfortable and wants to carry.... let her.

Just ensure you give her the best odds possible. Load it with the best .22LR you can get.

From many points it's placement that counts and at close range a .22LR can do the job very well.

So, for me it's two important things ---having a gun and placement!

On the flip side if you made her carry a larger caliber - if she can't shoot it or is afraid of carrying it or shooting it.... how good is it to her? If she can't hit the side of a barn with say a 9mm or 45ACP what good is it?

Sure you can come up with scenariosthat a .22LR wouldn't be good. For up and close it can doit well. Well enough? That can be argued.

Bottomline: she needs to carry what she feels comfortable with and is able to shoot well.

oldkim

imported post

Is a Walther P22 picky?

Yes, it can be. When used with good quality high velocity 22 ammo it does very well. You can do the research.

Do know the P22 design needs the extra power to cycle the slide. Unlike the Ruger Mark series and other plinkers this gun design has a full slide that functions like a regular semi pistol.

Also there is a screw that needs to be tightened on the frame and also thebarrel lock. Just like any gun you need to know your gun. Do a google search and you'll find all the info you need.

Is this gun designed for self defense - not really. Can it be used? I'm sure any gun can be used for self defense. Again, do the research and find out what will work for you.

Good luck!

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

Everyone thank you for the fast feedback, I understand it's not a really good defense round but yea it's what she feels good using. I am trying to get her into a .25 or even a .32 We are going to stop up at a different store to actually check out those calibers and hopefully we find a good priced weapon that she may feel comfortable using.

Thanks again for all the input

-Joe
PS well atleast I am finally getting her to use her permit as well :celebrate

MITCH

imported post

My girlfriends P22 is ONLY reliable with CCI MiniMags or Stingers. Any thing else in the way of ammo is hit and miss.

Mitch

smash29

imported post

When I bought my P22 I was warned about it being picky with ammo but out of an estimated 13000+ rounds fired I think I've had one box of bulk ammo (Remington I believe) that it consistantly had trouble with. Because of the warning I initially only used the the more "expensive" 100 round packages of CCI ammo but for the past year 99.9% of the ammo going through the P22 has been the Federal bulk in the 550 round box with few to no problems.

In my experience the warnings about the P22 being overly picky seem to be way off base but maybe I just got lucky...

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

smash29 wrote:
When I bought my P22 I was warned about it being picky with ammo but out of an estimated 13000+ rounds fired I think I've had one box of bulk ammo (Remington I believe) that it consistantly had trouble with. Because of the warning I initially only used the the more "expensive" 100 round packages of CCI ammo but for the past year 99.9% of the ammo going through the P22 has been the Federal bulk in the 550 round box with few to no problems.

In my experience the warnings about the P22 being overly picky seem to be way off base but maybe I just got lucky...
I agree, but maybe it's because they come from folks who haven't shot over 1000 rounds through theirs yet. My P22 is as reliable as my Firestorm .40 Cal. If you would have it as a SD pistol, load it with stingers. I'm sure that a bad guy getting 10 rounds of .22 Cal Stingers will wonder why he didn't just sit home that day. I would never pay that price for a P22, though. It is a $300 gun at most.

45acpForMe

imported post

I got the P22 for my daughters to learn to shoot. They are 10 & 13 and the DA trigger pull is too much for them so I have to cock it for them. Your mother should be ok unless she has arthritis. You might find one for her to try before buying.

I have not seen any problems with ammo but also have been using up a box of 500 Federal.

Both my girls shot really well with it at 3 and 7 yards. They surprised me. I got the P22 with the (rail) laser built for it. While it fits the gun and looks cool it is kind of big for a laser. I guess it was cheap since I got both for $400.

The gun is too small for my hands but with little recoil you can zip 10 rounds very quickly. I am surprised they don't have larger capacity magazines since 10 round can go so quick.

One thing I do NOT like about the P22 is that it is a pain to break down and put back together. You might have to clean it for her.

You might check out the Walther PPK or SigSauer P238 or Karh PM9. Don't think thatsmall caliber like the .32 will be easy on the recoil. I have a NAA 32 and my nickname for it is the "Angry Cricket". It is not fun to shoot and purely a self defense close range gun.

tcmech

imported post

I have never shot a walther P22 but I have a ruger mk 2 with a 6" barrel that I would not hesitate to use if it was all I had. I would rather have a 22 that is with me than a 45 in the car.