• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Security at IHOP

jp49911

imported post

IHOP on Wendover in GSO:

I was in their with my wife, our baby and a friend and was finished with dinner and headed to the bathroom. As I got up I noticed an armed security guard at the fron who wasn't there when we came in. I've oc'd for about 6 mths with several incidents of questioning (I carry about everywhere, everyday) ut haven't had a run in with LE so I was looking forward to how his would go with security.

I walked passed him but had my periphials on high alert as I entered the bathroom, when I saw "the look"...you know, the one where the head and eyes go down to your hip then back up with the deer in headlights gaze. So, I did my business came out and he asked "what are you doing with that gun" I returned the question: "what are you doing with yours?" (I seriousley said it as nice as I could).

He was aken back hat I would ask him that and stutered as he told me he had his gun because he was working security. I said "ok" smiled and proceeded to walk off.

He asked if I had a permit, I say "what permit" he says gun permit I say "what kind of gun permit". He's COMPLETELY lost at this point so I let him off the hook and explain OC in NC.

He then tells me there's a sign on the door. I always look for signs so I asked him to show me. Sure enough there is one at the VERY BOTTOM left hand corner . Told him that had to refer to conceling because their is no permit for OC and they may want to consider posing in a more conspicuous location; he agreed.

Anyway, what's your thoughts on the sign "no guns unless Law Enforcement or Permit Holder" does that cover OC without a permit.

BTW, I never acknowledge whether or not I have a permit when I OC (not anyones business, that's like asking if I have a drivers license when I'm walking)

mekender

imported post

the only sign mentioned in NC law is one that says "no concealed weapons"... as far as my read on the law, that means that any other sign is invalid...

though i have heard varying degrees of my correctness in that interpretation...

Fahrenheit

imported post

Technically, the signs mentioned in 14‑415.11(c) only prohibit concealed carry. However, for practical reasons, you're only setting yourself up for a face-to-face confrontation where you're asked to leave or at least take your firearm outside.

If you're verbally informed by somebody who is a representative of the property-owner, then you can't carry there, period.

Fahrenheit

imported post

That place gets a large, and potentially unruly late night crowd, especially on weekends.

Were I the manager, I'd have armed security on Fridays & Saturdays, from about 10p.m. until about 4a.m.

jp49911

imported post

Fahrenheit wrote:
...you're only setting yourself up for a face-to-face confrontation where you're asked to leave or at least take your firearm outside.
Not sure if I understand what you mean when you say I was setting myself up.

I was never asked to leave and if I was asked I would have complied.

Fahrenheit

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
Fahrenheit wrote:
...you're only setting yourself up for a face-to-face confrontation where you're asked to leave or at least take your firearm outside.

I'm saying that, if you openly carry past a conspicuous sign that prohibits concealed carry, you can expect a face-to-face talk with somebody from management. That conversation will almost surely involve being asked to take the firearm outside.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing - just be prepared for it if you do so.

jp49911

imported post

Fahrenheit wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
Fahrenheit wrote:

I'm saying that, if you openly carry past a conspicuous sign that prohibits concealed carry, you can expect a face-to-face talk with somebody from management. That conversation will almost surely involve being asked to take the firearm outside.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing - just be prepared for it if you do so.
I gotcha now...and like I said and the security officer agreed, the sign should be more conspicuous

Myrighttocarry

imported post

You controlled that situation well. If i could be that quick witted i'd surely win all my arguments jp.

I think you verbally disarmed that security guardof any power he thought he had.

chiefjason

imported post

FWIW, I frequent very few establishments with signs. I just told my wife not to expect to spend any money at a store that is signed while I am with her. It's not a big problem around here. If it becomes one I am going to get some of the business cards that say no guns = no money.

There is a store close to me that has a sign similar to the LEO or permit holder only idea. Wonder how they will take it when I OC and have my permit. Basically that sign says, in a pretty ridiculous way, that we are OK with guns in the hands of folks who are licensed. Then you have to ask yourself who carries a gun and is not in some form licensed? Even the background check and purchase permit is a form of license. That leaves the criminals or folk otherwise unable to legally possess a firearm. Again, must be a sign that will only stop criminals. :dude: