Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Going to Maryland this weekend

  1. #1
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Leaving Friday afternoonfor a trip to Southern Maryland. I guess I have stop at the low tide line at the 301 Bridge and unload, and secure my pistol in the back of the car before going "feet wet" in Maryland.

    Can I go to the range while in Maryland? My inlaws live in a very rural area and shoot in the backyard and even hunt there. Do I have to do anything special to be able to use my pistol in The People's Republic of Maryland?

    Can I bring my AK and shoot it, too?

    I know I can't even CC while there, so that's not gonna happen.

    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Leaving Friday afternoonfor a trip to Southern Maryland. I guess I have stop at the low tide line at the 301 Bridge and unload, and secure my pistol in the back of the car before going "feet wet" in Maryland.

    Can I go to the range while in Maryland? My inlaws live in a very rural area and shoot in the backyard and even hunt there. Do I have to do anything special to be able to use my pistol in The People's Republic of Maryland?

    Can I bring my AK and shoot it, too?

    I know I can't even CC while there, so that's not gonna happen.
    There's a little picnic area and boat landing on the left side of the road just before you get to the Harry Nice bridge. Nice view of the river. Be sure not to miss it though if you wait that late to secure your pistol. If you like Mexican food, just over 2 miles before the bridge, there is a great little restaurant on the right side of the road called Pancho Villa. I don't know if they are gun friendly there. I only eat lunch there from work, where I can't carry.

    TFred


  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Going to Maryland this weekend
    I'm sorry.

    Edit: stay safe.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Going to Maryland this weekend
    I'm sorry.

    Edit: stay safe.
    Keep your eyes on the skyline and your nose to the wind.
    Hope for a safe return from Hell.

  5. #5
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    My inlaws live in a very rural area and shoot in the backyard and even hunt there.

    Didn't know they had any rural areas left. Last time I went to Southern Maryland was the beginning of the summer. It had been about 15 years sense I last was, as I was raised in Waldorf.

    I wasculture shocked going from Va to Maryland as it was, but wondered where all the woods and open land went. Wasn't the Maryland I remembered as a kid. All the cameras floating around on all the stop lights and such, and I am not too paranoid a person,but felt like my every move was being watched. The next trip, if there is a next trip will be too soon for me.

    Good luck on your visit.


  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    Be VERY careful!!! If I remember my MD laws correctly, you may not even BRING a pistol into the state let alone shoot it, since you are not licensed and it is not registered with their authorities. You can drive THROUGH the state without stopping (according to the Federal Peaceable Journey Statute) as long as you have the pistol securely locked and unloaded in the trunk/cargo area, and as long as you can legally own the pistol in both your originating and destination state. As I understand it, the police in MD generally don't have much of a sense of humor about all this silliness, and will likely hand you your ass if you are caught with a gun in their state. I've read of a few instances where the cop has just given a warning, but I wouldn't chance it. Check the penalties involved.:shock: Maryland has one of the highest rates of violent crime in the nation, and as in other such socialist paradises, they like to blame the guns.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Virginia
    Posts
    188

    Post imported post

    There is one upside. If I'm not mistaken getting caught with a handgun in MD is a misdemeanor (as opposed to a felony in NY). It's a class 1 (the highest) but still, it's a misdemeanor. I don't feel like looking up the statute so feel free to check the MD code to confirm.

    And yes there are rural areas of MD. I think outside Baltimore and the DC metro area it's pretty much all rural, middle (i.e. conservative) America. Unfortunately these people have been overwhelmed demographically by the sickly cancerous sheeple conglomerates of Baltimore and DC, so they are (like the people of upstate New York or Illinois) mere subjects of a large imperial territory ruled by the whims of a comparatively small leftist city. (That must be why they call NY the "Empire State" -- NYC rules the state as its empire.)

    I haven't seen much of MD (mostly from the train) but except for the ghetto of Baltimore, it looks like a beautiful state.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    581

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Be VERY careful!!! If I remember my MD laws correctly, you may not even BRING a pistol into the state let alone shoot it, since you are not licensed and it is not registered with their authorities. You can drive THROUGH the state without stopping (according to the Federal Peaceable Journey Statute) as long as you have the pistol securely locked and unloaded in the trunk/cargo area, and as long as you can legally own the pistol in both your originating and destination state. As I understand it, the police in MD generally don't have much of a sense of humor about all this silliness, and will likely hand you your ass if you are caught with a gun in their state. I've read of a few instances where the cop has just given a warning, but I wouldn't chance it. Check the penalties involved.:shock: Maryland has one of the highest rates of violent crime in the nation, and as in other such socialist paradises, they like to blame the guns.
    Holy ****! What if I drive from VA to BWI airport to fly to a destination where I can carry and then come back? Can I bring a handgun then? Will that be covered under the Federal Law?

  9. #9
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Thank you all for the input. I've decided to remain in Virginia this weekend. I'll let the spousal unit go vist her relatives in St. Marys County (which is VERY rural) without me. I was stationed there in the early 80's. Lexington Park has grown a lot (as has its crime rate). Just a few miles outside town remains very rural. When I was there in the 80's, moonshiners still plied their trade with the tacit knowledge of local LE and politicians. Think "Deliverance" and you get the idea. The most crooked politicians north of Lousyanna reside in Southern Maryland! I'm very glad to not live there anymore. Ipray my children are safe on their journey into hell this weekend.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  10. #10
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    Looked up some of the Maryland laws, and I am no lawyer, but looks like any one caught with one other than Interstate travel which has to be secured away from reach and ammo. And as well Legal residents going to and from either home to their business and back, a legal shooting range, or a gun shop secured in the same manner as above is screwed. Same goes for their definition of assault weapons.

    Add insult to injury, private sellers have to go through a gun dealer, and as well they have an allowed weapons list just as California.

    Seems as well you have to be laying on your death bed after an assault to get a concealed permit. Non residents not welcomed..


    Good luck with your travels..

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Virginia
    Posts
    188

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Be VERY careful!!! If I remember my MD laws correctly, you may not even BRING a pistol into the state let alone shoot it, since you are not licensed and it is not registered with their authorities.
    Dutch, I think you are thinking of NY. I don't think you need a license to buy a handgun in MD. There is a 7 day waiting period and they are registered.

    Yet, you have to beg your local sheriff for permission to buy a handgun in North Carolina. :X (Not to mention a crossbow!) I find it funny how nobody ever raises a hate-fest against "communist" NC.

    This is not directly from the MD code but it's all I had the energy for:

    Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded. It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person.
    It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.
    A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:
    • To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop.
    • Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person.
    • While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show.
    • By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.
    During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person."

    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...nlaws_md_2.htm

    Note that MD law makes it illegal to transport a handgun, not merely to carry one. So you can't even have one in your trunk without fulfilling one of these conditions. :?

    To the OP: Just put the handgun(s) in your trunk and do not mention them if you are stopped by police. Unless you have warrants for your arrest or you are stupid enough to volunteer that you have guns in the trunk they cannot search it. If your relatives' property is as rural as you say I wouldn't worry about it.After all, handguns are not illegal in Maryland. (Contrary to popular belief on this forum! No carry does not = illegal.)

    Do not bring your AK however. That is considered an illegal "assault weapon" in MD.


  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Virginia
    Posts
    188

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Thank you all for the input. I've decided to remain in Virginia this weekend. I'll let the spousal unit go vist her relatives in St. Marys County (which is VERY rural) without me. I was stationed there in the early 80's. Lexington Park has grown a lot (as has its crime rate). Just a few miles outside town remains very rural. When I was there in the 80's, moonshiners still plied their trade with the tacit knowledge of local LE and politicians. Think "Deliverance" and you get the idea. The most crooked politicians north of Lousyanna reside in Southern Maryland! I'm very glad to not live there anymore. Ipray my children are safe on their journey into hell this weekend.
    I mean no disrespect, but if it's really as dangerous as you say, should you really be letting your wife and kids go there alone? :shock: You can't live without handguns for 2 days?

  13. #13
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    They rarely go into "town". Lexington Park isn't exactly Dodge City, but it isn't Yorktown, either. She grew up there and knows what areas to avoid. I'm ok with them going up there. She goes up there a couple times a month to visit her elderly father and siblings that still reside in the area. "Daddy" still keeps a shotgun behind the front door and a retired Deputy lives next door.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Virginia
    Posts
    188

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    They rarely go into "town". Lexington Park isn't exactly Dodge City, but it isn't Yorktown, either. She grew up there and knows what areas to avoid. I'm ok with them going up there. She goes up there a couple times a month to visit her elderly father and siblings that still reside in the area. "Daddy" still keeps a shotgun behind the front door and a retired Deputy lives next door.
    Gotcha.

    If you still wanted to go I believe you can legally transport your handguns (i.e., unloaded in the trunk). If it came down to it you simply say you are going target shooting at your relatives'. I believe you should be covered under MD law.

    You could always call Maryland State Police and ask them. Of course as always when asking police about the law, you only have a 50% chance what they tell you will be correct.

  15. #15
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    Virginian683 wrote:
    You could always call Maryland State Police and ask them. Of course as always when asking police about the law, you only have a 50% chance what they tell you will be correct.
    My uncle has a beach house in Ocean City. I talked to the OC police about two years ago, about transport as I would try while I was there to find a shooting range as something to do while on vacation. He said if the dwelling is not directly in my name or leased to me andI am not just passing through as in interstate transport it is against their laws. I had briefly discussed this with a Maryland lawyer and he said it could go either way if caught I could always hire him to try to fight it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    kennys wrote:
    Virginian683 wrote:
    You could always call Maryland State Police and ask them. Of course as always when asking police about the law, you only have a 50% chance what they tell you will be correct.
    My uncle has a beach house in Ocean City. I talked to the OC police about two years ago, about transport as I would try while I was there to find a shooting range as something to do while on vacation. He said if the dwelling is not directly in my name or leased to me andI am not just passing through as in interstate transport it is against their laws. I had briefly discussed this with a Maryland lawyer and he said it could go either way if caught I could always hire him to try to fight it.
    The interstate transport clause of Federal law allows, notwithstanding any other state law, any person to transport a firearm from any place they may lawfully possess such firearm to any place they may lawfully possess such firearm, provided that it's transported unloaded and in the trunk, or if there is no trunk, unloaded and in a locked case. In the case of traveling directly from VA to MD, I do not believe this needs to apply as MD law already allows such transportation and possession.

    Snippets from §4–203(b).

    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;



    I'm not a lawyer, but I would personally have no qualms about transporting a firearm unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster (as MD law does not require a locked case) to a destination in Maryland if a) I will be visiting a shooting range or otherwise target shooting while I am in the state, even if that is not my primary reason for being in the state, b) staying at a hotel/motel, c) staying at a friend or family's home provided that I have their permission to possess a firearm while I am on their property. b) and c) are places where I will be residing and are covered by exception (6). I know someone is going to argue the fact that I would "reside" there while I am residing there... so go ahead, let me hear it.

    Furthermore, I would not tell an officer where I'm going nor from where I'm coming under any circumstances except as directed by a competent attorney.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    Virginian683 wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Be VERY careful!!!* If I remember my MD laws correctly, you may not even BRING a pistol into the state let alone shoot it, since you are not licensed and it is not registered with their authorities.
    Dutch, I think you are thinking of NY. I don't think you need a license to buy a handgun in MD. There is a 7 day waiting period and they are registered.
    ...
    Dutch was correct. While you quoted the proper statute, you'll note that the possession of the license is framed as an exception to the applicability of the prohibition. The basic rule in Maryland, a pro-crime state, is that it is unlawful for you to have the means to effectively defend yourself.

    Federal law does apply when going from one place to another and only "passing through", regardless of your means of transport; the firearms must be unloaded and secured. But in Md., I understand they'll arrest you and charge you with a crime, anyway, on the theory that you've got a defense you can use at trial, but that's all.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •