• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I hike/camp in VA OCing?

Virginian683

imported post

The title is pretty much says it. Given that we can only CC in state parks and national forests I'm not sure what possibilities there are.

You'd think if there were one place OC would be accepted the most, it would be in the woods, but apparently bureaucrats see it otherwise.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

wylde007

imported post

Well, of course it is because of the unique environmental hazard that lawful carriers represent. If we were allowed to openly carry into parks and other such places then we would go ape-crazy and just randomly unload magazine after magazine of highly corrosive ammunition and leave the empty shell casings lying around so that the heavy elements leech into the soil and kill all sorts of wildlife and poison the water supply.

Duh.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
The title is pretty much says it. Given that we can only CC in state parks and national forests I'm not sure what possibilities there are.

You'd think if there were one place OC would be accepted the most, it would be in the woods, but apparently bureaucrats see it otherwise.

I'll change the subject some. I wouldn't like to give advice that seems improper.

I've spent my entire life in the Virginia mountains...well over half a century. One of the nice things about them is that no one bothers you. Funny thing, never had my pack searched and there just aren't any metal detectors either. Damn few Forest Rangers either....yep, peace and quiet.

Oh...what were we talking about;)

Virginian683

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

I'll change the subject some. I wouldn't like to give advice that seems improper.

I've spent my entire life in the Virginia mountains...well over half a century. One of the nice things about them is that no one bothers you. Funny thing, never had my pack searched and there just aren't any metal detectors either. Damn few Forest Rangers either....yep, peace and quiet.

Oh...what were we talking about;)

That's what I figured ;), at least "off the beaten path," but if you're not familiar with the area I figured it's better to play it safe.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Twenty years ago, we may have felt safe walking in the boonies of the western part of our lovely state. These days, we have to worry about meth cookers and fields of marijuana being protected by scumbags unwilling to allow someone to stroll through their "patch". I can't imagine going unarmed into the wilds of Virginia today.

Virginian683

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Twenty years ago, we may have felt safe walking in the boonies of the western part of our lovely state. These days, we have to worry about meth cookers and fields of marijuana being protected by scumbags unwilling to allow someone to stroll through their "patch". I can't imagine going unarmed into the wilds of Virginia today.
Well I know I will be crucified on this forum for saying this, but I've been to NYC and I felt far safer in Manhattan than I do in Richmond, Norfolk, or any VA city. :what:Yes, it's true.

It's kind of hard to be robbed and murdered surrounded by thousands of people. The times you need to worry are when there is nobody around. Like late night at a Norfolk ATM.

Indeed, FBI statistics show NYC has a far lower violent crime rate per capita than Hampton, Norfolk, Richmond, or Newport News. I do not propose this has anything to do with weapons laws but rather demographics. That is to say a population with criminal proclivities will commit crime, regardless of any laws. This state has more violent criminals than New York.

Anyway, the original topic of discussion still stands. :)

Regum

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Well I know I will be crucified on this forum for saying this, but I've been to NYC and I felt far safer in Manhattan than I do in Richmond, Norfolk, or any VA city. :what:Yes, it's true.

It's kind of hard to be robbed and murdered surrounded by thousands of people. The times you need to worry are when there is nobody around. Like late night at a Norfolk ATM.

Indeed, FBI statistics show NYC has a far lower violent crime rate per capita than Hampton, Norfolk, Richmond, or Newport News. I do not propose this has anything to do with weapons laws but rather demographics. That is to say a population with criminal proclivities will commit crime, regardless of any laws. This state has more violent criminals than New York.

"Per Capita" is the key term here. Not too many multi-million citizen cities in the Old Dominion. But I definitely agree about the seclusion problem. A crowd makes for an air of safety, if only perceived, and can make a difference.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Regum wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

"Per Capita" is the key term here. Not too many multi-million citizen cities in the Old Dominion. But I definitely agree about the seclusion problem. A crowd makes for an air of safety, if only perceived, and can make a difference.
I agree with Regum. The North is still much more dangerous. Va has changed though. I never had any problem with moonshiners or Pot Growers. Matter of fact, I had lunch with an old time moonshiner yesterday, and we have always gotten along well.

Meth labs seem to be different. I haven't run up on one yet and hope I don't.

The Cities are all dangerous here but I really dislike going into them so it's not much of an issue with me.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I agree with you there. I lived in NYC (actually on Governors Island, that little rock 1/2 mile south of Battery Park, formerly owned by the Coast Guard)for a couple years. I felt perfectly safe all over Manhattan day or night south of The Park (Central Park). We left the cars on "The Rock" and took the ferry across to Manhattan nearly every day. We often went out to eat in Chinatown, Little Italyand Greenwich Villiage.

The only criminal act I ever witnessed was when someone offered to sell us "a nickel bag" in the Villiage. I heard about some Coasties getting mugged in town, but that was pretty rare. I suspect they were somewhere they shouldn't have been. I remember NYC best as a wonderful culinary experience. I even bought an SKS for my little brother when I was stationed there. I don't remember having to jump through any hoops to do it. I was also in an indoor bullseye pistol league in Queens. We drove across the Brooklyn Bridge every Wednesday night for matches in the basement of a normal-looking Brownstone in a normal looking neighborhood.

I did feel safer in NYC than I do in Tidewater VA. I'm glad we have the right to OC and CC in the Commonwealth!

I've been hiking and camping all over VA with the Scouts. Since I was with scouts and in uniform (representing BSA and all that), I never OC'd on any of these trips. I did (and continue to) CC on every trip. I'm a firm believer in being tried by twelve thancarried by six. If something happens, I'd like to Be Prepared for any eventuality.

Semper Paratus

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Virginian683 wrote:

+1

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran

darthmord

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

+1

I can confirm that lonesome Norfolk ATM at night. I was at one a couple months back getting some money forthe sitter(so my wife & I could have a night out at the range, dinner,&a movie). We OC'd after the range to the movie and dinner without issue.

As I'm waiting for the machine to spit my money out, I sense / see movement out of the corner of my eye (excellent spatial awareness).On the sidewalk (that runs in front of the atm) comes a guy that appears to be meandering and paying what I felt was an excessive amount of attention toward my actions.

I moved my shirt so I could put my wallet in my pocket. In doing so, that also moved my right arm which made my OC'd M&P 9mm completely visible to the world under the nice lights they use at the atm; they illuminate the potential targets well. (even when OC in a Serpa holster on my belt, it tucks in nicely under my arm making it almost non-visible from the side).

The guy immediately stopped, paused for a moment, and then turned and walked away fairly fast... faster than he was ambling toward me initially.

I got back in the car and my wife was relaxing from being ready to draw her own if the guy was trouble. She made the comment that seeing him walking along like he was made her 'not right'.

So yeah, I always pay attention at the ATM. I don't like being caught unaware. If the gut feeling says something's not right, I bail and take my wife/guests/etc with me. I'd rather be laughed at and alive than otherwise.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

When I go to the ATM, I always use the drive-thru and have my .45 in my lap. I pull as close to the machine as possible so that no one can get between my car and the ATM. I also keep an eye on my mirrors. Bridget is usually with me and always has her .45 in her lap when we drive because she doesn't have a CHP and likes to keep her pistol visible in the event we are pulled over. Doom on the clown that walks up to my car at the ATM. Hope its not the Avon Lady...;)

Tomahawk

imported post

Back on topic: Before I was fully aware of the DGIF nonsense, I regularly imagined I was OC'ing in the national forests (imagined, of course, I would never break the law!).

Of course, GW Natl. Forest is huge and there are very few rangers or ranger stations, and on those back trails you hardly ever see a soul, especially on weekdays.

That said, I don't recommend it because it is, after all, against the rules. Which we need to change, of course.

Virginia is pro-RKBA but in a strange way. You can conceal on city streets, but in a bar you have to OC. And you can OC on city streets, but in the woods, of all places, you must conceal! Oh well, gun control makes no sense.

Now, don't get your hopes up, but I've heard that when carry becomes legal in National Parks on George Washington's next birthday, the law is written such that it appears OC will be legal as well. I am going to see what VCDL's leadership thinks and I will avoid being the test case, but OC'ing in Shanendoah Natl. Park would be sweet. Again: this is not known for certain, yet.

Marco

imported post

Virginian683 wrote: snip
I felt far safer in Manhattan than I do in Richmond, Norfolk, or any VA city.
Much of NYC has been gentrified.
The bad areas of NYC that would make bad parts of Richmond/Norfolk look like Disney land.
Even the safest places can be dangerous (the parking structures and tolls booths) at the happiest place in america has seen a rise in armed robberies.

[line]
BOT:
I recently had a dream thatI was wondering around PWNF w/G20 on my hip and no one noticed or said a word including the PR's.

Virginian683

imported post

The thing is, at the state park entrances I've seen, as well as WMA's, the park rules say no guns "except for holders of a licensed concealed carry permit issued by a circuit court..." or words to that effect. It doesn't say anything about it having to be concealed or visible.

Where exactly does it say in state park regs that open carry is not allowed? Their website has only this to say:

Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed weapons permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml

There is no language there requiring concealed carry. And my understanding is the national forests have to follow state park rules also.

TexasNative

imported post

That's just the FAQ. Here's the governing regulation:

4VAC5-30-200. Firearms.

No person except employees, police officers, or officers of the department shall carry or possess firearms of any description, or airguns, within the park. This regulation shall not apply in areas designated for hunting by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. This regulation also shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state parks by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

I seem to recall that when he was Attorney General, Bob McDonnell issued an opinion that this regulation exceeded the authority of the Department of Conservation and Recreation, and that they could not restrict open carry.

No one wants to be the test case, though.

~ Boyd

Virginian683

imported post

Thanks, I hadn't able to find the actual regulations online.

It does seem bogus as the statute they cite as giving them the authority says nothing about firearms or even ensuring public safety.

TexasNative

imported post

Which is at least part of why McDonnell said they didn't have the power to restrict open carry in their regulations.

~ Boyd