• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I hike/camp in VA OCing?

nova

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Twenty years ago, we may have felt safe walking in the boonies of the western part of our lovely state. These days, we have to worry about meth cookers and fields of marijuana being protected by scumbags unwilling to allow someone to stroll through their "patch". I can't imagine going unarmed into the wilds of Virginia today.
Well I know I will be crucified on this forum for saying this, but I've been to NYC and I felt far safer in Manhattan than I do in Richmond, Norfolk, or any VA city.
I'd rather BE safer like I am in Virginia since I'm armed 24/7, than FEEL safer anywhere else. ;):cool:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Twenty years ago, we may have felt safe walking in the boonies of the western part of our lovely state. These days, we have to worry about meth cookers and fields of marijuana being protected by scumbags unwilling to allow someone to stroll through their "patch". I can't imagine going unarmed into the wilds of Virginia today.
Well I know I will be crucified on this forum for saying this, but I've been to NYC and I felt far safer in Manhattan than I do in Richmond, Norfolk, or any VA city.
I'd rather BE safer like I am in Virginia since I'm armed 24/7, than FEEL safer anywhere else. ;):cool:

This is an interesting thread. For all the tongue in cheek joking I do about Yankees...A truthful observation from my few trips to NYC, is that the people I meet there, are very nice and to my surprise, very polite people.

Some of the NY and other Northerners that I have come into contact here....are not so pleasant. I think that indicates that there are good and bad people everywhere. If I'm going to have to deal with the bad, I'd rather it be in Virginia where I am properly armed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Some of the NY and other Northerners that I have come into contact here....are not so pleasant.
Hey!!!!
I'm a former New Yorker.
Uh...actually I was thinking of people I had to deal with professionally in the past. The first that comes to mind is a fellow named Andrewski who beat his cousin nearly to death, with a 4 foot reinforcing rod. They were discussing who got the last beer if I recall correctly:lol: His uncle, who moved here at the same time, had a nifty gun fencing operation set up in Henrico county. On a brighter note about the uncle, who worked as a mechanic....for a paltry $50.00, he would deliver an inspection sticker to you at your desired location:lol:

Next in line would be Carl Lee Durett, who liked to set fires...In businesses.

Billy Viscomi always brings back fond memories. Never met anyone he didn't like, never saw anything that wasn't his.:shock:

The list is long!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Milbars wrote:
Thank goodness I'm not a Northerner but a Mid-westerner :p
I'll tell you about the rude New Yorkers in New York.

Our Airedale had cancer and it was inoperable. We managed to get on an experimental vaccine tat was being tried at a teaching hospital on Manhattan Island. Every two weeks for 6 months, he had to be taken there for treatments, then we'd turn around and come home.

The other people that had animals there and would be there at the same time, would bake cookies for my wife and find diabetic things I could eat. It snowed one day and one of the people there offered to let us stay at her home if the snow got worse. I figured she lived in a cardboard box somewhere but we drove past it when we left. It was on Park Ave!

The staff would draw maps of places my wife wanted to shop at like Bare Essentials.

I can't say I met one rude person the entire time.

Tomahawk

imported post

peter nap wrote:
...Next in line would be Carl Lee Durett, who liked to set fires...In businesses.

Billy Viscomi always brings back fond memories. Never met anyone he didn't like, never saw anything that wasn't his.:shock:

The list is long!
Let us not forget Mike Bloomberg. All us Virginians have to deal with that jackass.

Virginian683

imported post

peter nap wrote:
This is an interesting thread. For all the tongue in cheek joking I do about Yankees...A truthful observation from my few trips to NYC, is that the people I meet there, are very nice and to my surprise, very polite people.
All I know is during my visit to NYC I looked all over for the gulags but I couldn't find them anywhere! Maybe they're upstate. :D

It's also not true that NYers don't say excuse me. I'd always heard that and it's simply untrue.

I should have known when I brought up NY I was killing any chance of this thread being on topic. :quirky