• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checked firearm at Whatcom County courthouse

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Went to run errands at 3 different departments at courthouse, Wednesday. As it is my custom I was open carrying my firearm. Walked up to security guard, informed them I need to check my firearm, since I had several errands to do, she politely said oh sure no problem. Walked over to the key box, I was thinking these guys get an A+ until she told me you have to cover that up in here. I told her no I don't its preempted by state law. The other security officer said he knows but in here you do. I said no not according 9.41.300, first officer asked for cpl for the key, since I was in a hurry and had someone waiting in the car I said well "its lucky I have one , since its not required by state law". I handed over my CPL and got a key to the box. Over the boxes there is a sign I took a picture of with my phone, stating I.D. is required.

I also must state it felt weird taking out my weapon in a public place with people milling about even if it was just to put it in the lockbox.

When I was done with my errands I retrieved my firearm and got my CPL back and went on my way. Fairly uneventful as it should be.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

You don't need a CPL to open carry. So if you didn't have one, they still would need to check your firearm. I believe you don't even need I.D.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDYuanBn.jpg

j2l3

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
But doesn't RCW 9.41.300 state that you need a CPL to check your firearm in a court facility?

9.41.300 doesn't address the need for identification for storage of a weapon at court facilities.

SNIP

" In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building."

Aaron1124

imported post

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technically, can a city or county require a CPL for carry in a court, seeing how it's building operated by the city/county?