• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

obama in Grand Junction this Saturday 8-15-09

CSC

imported post

Has anyone thought about open carry demonstration at the Grand Junction CO

obama health care rally this Saturday 8-15-09 like the guy in New Hampshire did Last week??

I think the gun owners of every open care state should start doing this!!

Let me know all of you thought's and legal concerns

cscitney87

imported post

My thought- Do it. Let's get the ball rolling. Do it.
(but personally I won't be anywhere near Grand Junction)

Legal opinion- as stated in the "man with a gun at Obama event" thread- open carry lawfully. No issue.

I commend you for the thought and thread.

Flyer22

imported post

I don't have any legal concerns, but I do have personal concerns--as in, I prefer to go on living, unharmed and free. The Secret Service has NO sense of humor whatsoever when it comes to any possible threat of any sort to the people that they guard. And they tend to react fast and hard.

Iknow of a retired radio host who used to do a show at the end of each year for callers' predictions for events that would happen during the upcoming year. He had to make a rule that he would not allow predictions of the president getting killed--because every time a caller made such a prediction, he would get a visit from the Secret Service, and he was tired of the hassle.

Now, if you want to risk getting detained or shot because you're carrying a weapon at or near a presidential rally, go right ahead--but I prefer to do my gambling in other ways.

In addition, there are so many other fronts to fight on for our rights; so many other ways to fight and so many other things to do; that I have a very hard time understanding why anybody would voluntarily submit themselves to the possibility of ill-treatment or worseby the Secret Service agents who will do anything it takes to keep the president alive.

Ape

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
I don't have any legal concerns, but I do have personal concerns--as in, I prefer to go on living, unharmed and free. The Secret Service has NO sense of humor whatsoever when it comes to any possible threat of any sort to the people that they guard. And they tend to react fast and hard.

Iknow of a retired radio host who used to do a show at the end of each year for callers' predictions for events that would happen during the upcoming year. He had to make a rule that he would not allow predictions of the president getting killed--because every time a caller made such a prediction, he would get a visit from the Secret Service, and he was tired of the hassle.

Now, if you want to risk getting detained or shot because you're carrying a weapon at or near a presidential rally, go right ahead--but I prefer to do my gambling in other ways.

In addition, there are so many other fronts to fight on for our rights; so many other ways to fight and so many other things to do; that I have a very hard time understanding why anybody would voluntarily submit themselves to the possibility of ill-treatment or worseby the Secret Service agents who will do anything it takes to keep the president alive.
I have to agree with you on this one flyer. :?

Normally I'm all about excercising my rights to keep them. However this one seems to me like it would do more harm for 2A rights than good. Even those who are on the fence or just don't givethe 2Aany thought are going to sit with the anti gun people over someone carrying at a political gathering. Especially one with the President. :?

Yooper

imported post

The guy who OC'd outside (on private property (church) next to the school) the Obama town hall in NH? The S.S. let him be. The local PD let him be. He was 100% within his rights, and 100% compliant with the law.

It was reported that the S.S. was keeping a close eye on him, but they did not impede him at all. The OC'er even complimented both the S.S. and the local P.D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbGdt_LFbw

mahkagari

imported post

Thanks for the info on the private property and church. I thought the event was at the school and wondered how the OCer managed to legally carry w/in the Federal school zone.

I haven't looked at many reports but I gahrohntee that they're going to gloss over that he was completely legal without a "permit" or "registration" and that the weapon was not an "assault pistol".

Anyone know of a media myths site? Not the ones debunking the guns-go-bang-stats the anti-gunners have such fun tossing around. Every time there's a gun report it seems the media (and therefore the populace) have all these asinine questions like "was the gun registered and traceable in a Federal database" and "did he have a permit to own and carry it". It all contributes to the public's ignorance that those things are largely required to even look at a gun.

If there's no site, maybe I'll start one myself. Anyone else know any popular dead-wrong assumptions on the idiot box?

ETA: GAH! Just watched the video. The "SHOCK" about this is just what I'm talking about. "That's what it's like in New Hampshire?? Holy cow!" Um, yeah, that's what it's like in a LOT of states. "Lawyers to file an emergency injunction" no matter what the law says?? Is this numbnut serious??

Yooper

imported post

There is an exemption also, that if you have a license to carry (or possibly a registered gun in those states that require it) that you are exempt from the 1000' school zone ban. So, for example, in Colorado you could not legally open carry within 1000' of a school unless you have your CCW permit. Having that permit gets rid of the federal ban. Now, in CO you can't carry on the school grounds (there are some exceptions) even with a CCW permit. This is a STATE law, not federal. State law doesn't have a 1000' rule, a school zone applies only if you are actually ON the school grounds.

mahkagari

imported post

I can't make up my mind about it. For me personally, it wouldn't be my chosen method of protest. But to say they "shouldn't" do it is a bit like saying gays shouldn't have Pridefests because it just encourages people to discriminate against them.

If we can be "out and proud" to show we're just regular people who care about self-defense, it'll do us good. I think the AR-15 was a bit much, but I cannot come up with logical reason why that doesn't hurt my head with cognitive dissonance.

Ape

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
I can't make up my mind about it. For me personally, it wouldn't be my chosen method of protest. But to say they "shouldn't" do it is a bit like saying gays shouldn't have Pridefests because it just encourages people to discriminate against them.

If we can be "out and proud" to show we're just regular people who care about self-defense, it'll do us good. I think the AR-15 was a bit much, but I cannot come up with logical reason why that doesn't hurt my head with cognitive dissonance.
I understand and even agree with you mahkagari. And I try to OC at least once a week to practice my rights and even try to spark discussions on the subject with those who don't understand.

That being said, I don't think creating panic or an evil tone to guns is constructive. :-/ A gay pride parade isn't seen as a danger to humanity by most sane people. However guns can still be shed as dangerous in any light by what many people would consider a sane person. That's why education is important without using terror tactics IMO.

mahkagari

imported post

The "sane people" is where I'm torn. We've got insane people on both sides of the gun debate. There's no convincing them to compromise. It's that middle "rule of thirds" I look at.

To continue with the gay rights analogy, the insaneones are thosewho say if you see two men holding hands it's going to turn every child on the planet gay. The insane people on the anti-gun side are the ones who say ifsomeone OCs"a child may be hurt". I always ask how a child is atless riskfrom the BGs who are CCing illegaly.

I fully support OCing as a means of activism and education todemonstrate that regular people can carry for their self defense without the gun jumping out of the holster and doing shots of tequila. I think Kostrick handled himself very well. If you would ordinarilyOC for self-defenseand want to go to a demonstrationto exercise your 1A and 2A rights, go for it.

But who carries an AR-15 as their means of everyday practical self-defense? Is that really going to convince the sane middle third that we're not all lunatics?

Ape

imported post

Once again I agree with you mahkagari. I figured the "sane" thing was a bit far reaching. And I should've expounded on that a bit more I suppose? But my point being that even middle "ground sane" is going to see things like this as over stepping and provoking. :-/

I think we're agreeing to agree.....lol..... just a bit different on how we make our point. ;-)

mahkagari

imported post

We'll just call itdeconstruction instead of debate, then. Nothing wrong with that. :)

CSC

imported post

SEE THE LASTEST OPEN CARRY IN ARIZONA!!!

I dont care what the NRA instructors think, The NRA is in my opinion is Anti-gun

Everyone should join Gun Owners of America they truely have the best interest in a gun owners freedom! , the NRA is just a Government front for gun control!! The NRAis Pro guns in the Front door and they help fund gun control legistation out the Back door!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090817/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_protesters_guns

mahkagari