• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal recording devices for encounters.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

I made this into a new thread, so we didn't take over someone else's.

ethernetweb wrote:
Can you post links to the audio recorders that you would highly suggest for these types of situations? I think it would be great if people, including myself, would know what to look for.

Thanks
I found one that I personally really like for it's size and simplicity. However I could only find ONE place to buy it so I couldn't comparison shop =/

http://www.jlmmerchandise.com/flash-drive-voice-recorder.html

An additional bit of information to save yourself from an unlawful confiscation or charge for recording a conversation would be a link to the Michigan public recording law. I searched the legislature up and down, including google and was unable to find anything about 'public media recording' in Michigan. Props to anyone that can locate it.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

I have the RCA VR5220-A. Got it from Wal-Mart for $34.76.
Product Review – RCA VR5220-A Digital Voice Recorder
vr5220_300x300.jpg

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Do these recorders have one touch record?

Are you concerned that turning the device on as an encounter starts may be alarming in some way?

With the recording device I found, the small usb flash drive/audio recorder, I was thinking it would make a good necklace piece. Just reach to your chest and push the button. Hard to take that as a threatening gesture. But it is a bit pricey, kinda disappointed I couldn't comparison shop for it. (hopefully someone else could find what I couldn't)

Most people probably don't want to turn a recorder on and leave it running before they go out? It could somehow get turned off or lose it's charge without your knowledge.

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

With the one I carry, it does have one touch recording and it has a "lock" button that you can use to protect it from stopping while it is recording, or keep it from starting to record (this turns it off) so that you can preserve the battery. I use rechargeable batteries and can record for about 5 hours on a charge.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is what I carry:

http://amzn.com/B00142VMMS

It is basically a USB drive that records stereo audio. It records directly to MP3 files at any number of qualities (highest quality can store 18 hours at a time, lowest, well over 200 hours).

Batteries last 8-9 hours (1 AAA battery). Has a lock switch on the back, and a lanyard post.

Great little recorder.

Bronson

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
I made this into a new thread, so we didn't take over someone else's.

I found one that I personally really like for it's size and simplicity. However I could only find ONE place to buy it so I couldn't comparison shop =/

http://www.jlmmerchandise.com/flash-drive-voice-recorder.html

Here it is for $50.00

http://www.spygadgets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SD1400&Category_Code=DIGITAL

They also have the recording pens and watches.

Bronson

astrogiblet

imported post

At the last OC picnic, Jim Simmons was there (he's a lawyer for those of you who don't know). And said generally, recordings without permission are not admissible in court. He said sometimes you can get a judge to allow it but generally not. Its not legal to record somebody without their permission.

So I wouldn't blow a ton of money on a recording device. Get a cheapo (with a good mic) and hope that you get a good judge.

noclue

imported post

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and anything contributed by me is not to be taken as legal advice!

I may be wrong, but I interpret it differently.
MCL §750.539c: Any person who is present or who is not present during a private conversation and who wilfully uses any device to eavesdrop upon the conversation without the consent of all parties thereto, or who knowingly aids, employs or procures another person to do the same in violation of this section, is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

MCL §750.539a: Sec. 539a.
As used in sections 539a to 539i:
(1) “Private place” means a place where one may reasonably expect to be safe from casual or hostile intrusion or surveillance but does not include a place to which the public or substantial group of the public has access.
(2) "Eavesdrop" or “eavesdropping” means to overhear, record, amplify or transmit any part of the private discourse of others without the permission of all persons engaged in the discourse. Neither this definition or any other provision of this act shall modify or affect any law or regulation concerning interception, divulgence or recording of messages transmitted by communications common carriers.
(3) “Surveillance” means to secretly observe the activities of another person for the purpose of spying upon and invading the privacy of the person observed.
(4) “Person” means any individual, partnership, corporation or association.
In this context I construe "public" to be a place where one can reasonably expect to be subject to surveillance, or a place to which the public or substantial group of the public have access.

Most encounters with police occur in "public places" as defined by this statute. So would discourse in a "public" place not be considered "public" discourse?

Additionally, a Michigan Court (Sullivan v. Gray) ruled that a participant in a private conversation may lawfully record it because the term "eavesdrop" refers only to overhearing or recording the private conversations of others. However, that is only court opinion and a Michigan Supreme Court ruling has not yet been made.

I certainly concede that your lawyer friend is probably more versed in regard to law than I am, I just thought that I would state my opinion (although opinion usually doesn't get you far in court).

sources:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28zj245d55vjsfqlaosoysae55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-539c

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28fyjaopaczn0vedrh3zg4wp55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-539a

I apologize in advance if this post deviates from the topic at hand, but I found it at least somewhat relevant. Please move it to a new thread if deemed necessary.

-Noclue

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

@bronson - thanks! I'm glad there was another place to shop for it.

@astrogiblet - I believe that in a public place it is legal. Otherwise, the reporters would not be able to provide media to the world. This also applies if you are recording in a public place, exhibitionism :) - I was 99% sure this was all true and as 'noclue' has posted the laws I was asking for to validate this, I am now 100% sure.

There is also a section of law somewhere that states in a public setting, only one party need be aware of such recording. (yourself is one) But this may pertain to just phone calls. I am not sure about this. It would also be nice to find in the legislature.

@noclue - thank you for finding that. It is mainly what I was looking for.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

astrogiblet wrote:
At the last OC picnic, Jim Simmons was there (he's a lawyer for those of you who don't know). And said generally, recordings without permission are not admissible in court. He said sometimes you can get a judge to allow it but generally not. Its not legal to record somebody without their permission.

So I wouldn't blow a ton of money on a recording device. Get a cheapo (with a good mic) and hope that you get a good judge.
I hate to say it but Jim is sometimes wrong. It is his opinion. Granted a recording is not admissible in court, so what, the recording is to be use in a complaint against a LEO that claims one thing and you another.

There is no expectation of privacy in public places. You can record people outside at anytime (Think of tourist video taping a street scene or the media). You have the right to record public servants going about their duties.

Case law shows that if you tape a PRIVATE conversation between two parties that do not know they are being recorded is illegal. But taping an interaction between an officer yourself is not.

A tape recorder is about the cheapest insurance you can buy. I highly recommend one.

T Vance

imported post

Venator wrote:
There is no expectation of privacy in public places. You can record people outside at anytime (Think of tourist video taping a street scene or the media). You have the right to record public servants going about their duties.

So would a business such as Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc, be considered a private place?

For example, you are OC in an establishment such as this and the police approach you inside of the store, would you have to let them know you are recording the conversation if you were in there?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Venator wrote:

So would a business such as Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc, be considered a private place?

For example, you are OC in an establishment such as this and the police approach you inside of the store, would you have to let them know you are recording the conversation if you were in there?

If the property is open to the public it is a public place with private property rights. My opinion is that you could record them as they are still public officials and at least one person knows you are being taped...you. This is not legal advice.

noclue

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Venator wrote:

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinion in different case law and legislature that I have studied. For example, the definition of private in the statute above does not include any information regarding private property (i.e. businesses, homes, etc.). Nor does it mention public servants or officials.

I am currently in the process of researching and compiling appropriate case law, court opinion, and legislature on federal, state, and local levels regarding recording of public and private conversations.

If people are interested, I will make a separate thread once I feel I have enough information to spark interesting and informative discussion.

-Noclue

KittyBomb

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Venator wrote:
There is no expectation of privacy in public places. You can recas TWalmartWalmart nessnytimeas TWalmartWalmart video taping a street scene or the media). You have the right to record public servants going about their duties.
as TWalmartWalmart
ness such as TWalmartWalmart, Best Buy, etc, be considered a private place?

Wouldn't the fact that places like Target, Wal~mart and Best Buy have video surveillance in store negate any assumption of privacy on the property even though the stores are private property, so any kind of recording of events inside a place with surveillance would not be thought of as private under the law regardless of who was doing the recording?

I was at the Dream Cruise and saw a sign posted on the corner of 13 and Woodward at Northwood shopping center warning that anything that took place on the premises was being videoed and would be broadcast so to not assume anything that you would do on the premises would be private. This was a cardboard sign they put up for the event, but if a person knows that there is surveillance they should not assume that whatever takes place would be private. I have seen permanent signs posted in Meijer's parking lot warning of surveillance on the premises as well.