• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Questions

leitung

imported post

I am a California resident, and I know when I hit 21, I can apply for a CCW in Nevada. I know that Nevada requires a class, and that there are certain exemptions to the class. I have a current Level III Reserve POST certificate from a Local community college here in California, as well as a Armed Security Guard licence. I was wondering if anyone here knows if those exempt me from the class portion of the Nevada CCW. If so, how do I go applying for an exemption with Carson City Sheriff's department?

Also,
Is it true that a Utah & Florida CCW is no longer valid in Nevada?

Thanks guys..

wrightme

imported post

leitung wrote:
I am a California resident, and I know when I hit 21, I can apply for a CCW in Nevada. I know that Nevada requires a class, and that there are certain exemptions to the class. I have a current Level III Reserve POST certificate from a Local community college here in California, as well as a Armed Security Guard licence. I was wondering if anyone here knows if those exempt me from the class portion of the Nevada CCW. If so, how do I go applying for an exemption with Carson City Sheriff's department?

Also,

Thanks guys.
I know of NO exemptions for the class.

http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/CCW_FAQ.php

Even retired LE wishing to carry pursuant to HR218 have to take the class.
Yes, UT and FL permits are no longer recognized by NV.

calmp9

imported post

leitung wrote:

Also,

Thanks guys..
There are no exceptions. It's good to take the CCW class because you should learn what you can about the use of deadly force and Nevada law.

varminter22

imported post

Actually, take a look at the law: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653

Specifically:
NRS 202.3657 Application for permit; eligibility; denial or revocation of permit.
1. Any person who is a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of the county in which he resides for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Any person who is not a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of any county in this State for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Application forms for permits must be furnished by the sheriff of each county upon request.

2. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit for revolvers, one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, or for revolvers and one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, as applicable, to any person who is qualified to possess the firearm or firearms to which the application pertains under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older;

(b) Is not prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to NRS 202.360; and

(c) Demonstrates competence with revolvers, each specific semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm, as applicable, by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that he:

(1) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State; or

(2) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organization that certifies instructors in firearm safety.

Ê Such a course must include instruction in the use of revolvers, each semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm and in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless he determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association or, if the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.
I don't think I've known anyone that did not complete a CCW class in Nevada. But the law does allow for other training.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And for retired law enforcement,there is the HR-218 law:
I am a retired Law Enforcement Officer. How do I qualify for the HR218 bill?

• (1) You must be retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability.
  • (2) Before such retirement, was authorized by laws to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law and had statutory powers of arrest.
  • (3) Before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more or retired from service due to a service-connected disability as determined by such agency.
  • (4) Have a nonforfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency.
  • (5) During the most recent 12 month period, at the expense of the individual, has met the states standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms.
  • (6) Is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
  • (7) Is not prohibited by Federal Law from receiving a firearm.
  • (8) Present a letter on your department’s letterhead stating that you have met all the requirements of HR 218, verifying what your duties were, retirement years and conditions of your retirement.
There is no requirement for retired law enforcement officers to attend the CCW class training.